Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Boardwine family on "The Early Show"
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 18, 2009

The Boardwine family will be on "The Early Show" next week after their performance in the show's search for the best family singing groups in America. Congratulations, Joe and Jim.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 19, 2009

They sing, they dance, they win state titles, they coach champions... very impressive stuff. But can they cook a good brisket?

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Hank,

We really can't cook, but fortunately my wife can.

Just to give the faithful on this forum a quick update here is the basic story:

We are in a national competition against other families from around the USA. I never thought for a second we would make it this far. My brother Jim’s children, who are 17 and 14 years-old, do a lot of the songwriting. We are in the quarterfinals right now. That means we have to defeat another band on live television this Wednesday to get into the semifinals. We play against them from 7am-9am on CBS on "The Early Show." If we can beat them, we are in the semifinals and need two more wins to take the title.

Here are two things you need to know:
1. We are the only band from Ohio
2. We are the only wrestlers

That should be reason enough for you to check it out on Wednesday and vote for us!

Here are links to the CBS website and the YouTube posting by CBS:

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/17/earlyshow/series/singingfamily_faceoff/main4806242.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBFTF_jJMQ

There is a pretty cool story behind this one...

My brother Jim and I won state titles for Streetsboro in 1992 and 1993. We both grew up learning the sport at Longwood YMCA and wrestling has been my love for 28 years.

I have an older brother Rick (11 years older) who started wrestling late in 8th grade and was good, but never quite made it to state. He also was a huge music fan. Rick taught me and Jim and how to do 2 things: 1) wrestle and 2) play the guitar, piano and other instruments.

Fast forward to age 17 and 16. My brother Jim’s world is totally changed when he finds out he is going to be a father as an 11th grader. At the time He had been a state runner up as a sophomore and then 6th the next year. His performance was going downhill. Despite many people’s advice to either go the adoption or abortion route, Jim refuses and insists that he and his girlfriend have the baby. His daughter is born between 11th and 12th grade.

As a senior, Jim had a very rocky school year both personally and athletically – as you could imagine. But something special happened and he began to realize this was going to be his last shot to do something with wrestling. To make a long story short, he put together some very, very good months of training and won the state championship with his daughter in the stands. This was so unlikely not only because of his personal situation and how distracted he should have been…. But because his weight was stacked that year. It included people like Tim Dernlan (3x’er), Bo Wilkovich (State Champ, 3rd, 3rd), and Joe Workman (3rd, 2nd, 3rd ), etc - and a bunch of future champs like Kyle Gleckler (2x'er).

A lot of people remember the state tournament that yuear, when Wilkovich thumped Tim Dernlan 14-8 in the Quarters (no offense if you’re reading this, Timmy!) My brother Jim, then beat Wilkovich in the Semis and also Workman in the finals.

For those of you who remember … the Dernlan (2x State champ from a lower weight at the time) vs. Wilkovich (returning state champ, same weight) match us was widely written about in the Plain Dealer and talked about by Brian Brakeman – who gave Bo basically no chance of winning in his report and ON THE RADIO – during Jeff Cindalar’s radio show about States.

So that is what was happening on the other side of the drama of that match-up…. A kid who has become a father who has one last shot at winning a state title, one last shot at being great…. and who has that look in his eye that nothing is going to stop him.

(Incidentally, I also won the state tournament that year. We did it at 112 and 119. Jim and I both owed a lot to two guys that we did extra training and live wrestling with that year… Walsh’s Jimmy Johnson (112) and Clint Musser (119) who we 'banged with" during extra workouts to get the edge. (Thanks, Jimmy and Clint)

Jim married his girlfriend after high school and she has been his wife for the past 17 years. He graduated from college in 4 years while also working full-time in a factory. Not a fun college experience – but he got the job done. Once he knew he was on track to graduate and had saved a little money, he also came out of retirement and walked on to the team at Kent State after being off the mat for four years and placed second in the MAC Championships.

The unplanned girl (Jim’s daughter) you read about is the lead singer of this band and she is a very good songwriter. It’s the three of us in the band. Plus Jim’s son, Brett – who is in 9th grade. He wrestled too, but recently quit the sport. If you see him, tell him to go back out for wrestling! ha

So that’s the scoop. This story is not meant to encourage any kids out there to have kids as a high schooler – because it will make your life hard! But I thought you might find it interesting how this girl’s life started and where they are as a family today.

You can never “count out” a wrestler in life. Because they’re capable of doing anything they put their mind to….

Thanks for your interest

Joe Boardwine

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Joe: That is a great story! Nuff said. I'll be watching on Wednesday.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Thanks, Hank

It will be fun in NYC.

I told my brother to bring his gear and we can do some drilling and run sprints at the NYAC in-between rehersals. Ha

Rex Holman added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Joe-

Great story. Thanks for sharing.

Rex Holman

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Mr. Boardwine,

Good luck this week, and thanks for the story. Your brother is truly someone to look up to.

And get your nephew back on the mat! Once he is old like us he will just wish he had three more years in front of him. I still wish I had wrestled at US, but hey, club soccer was pretty awesome.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

I had the displeasure of being tech-falled by Jim my freshman year at sectionals. I remember his state title run the next year in truly one of the all-time loaded weights. Everyone was shocked when Wilkovich beat Dernlan (beat him again for 3rd) and even more shocked when the lanky Workman upset Wilkovich in the semis. That was a storybook way to cap off a career for Jim.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 24, 2009

Thanks guys for all the encouragement.

We are in New York right now going through the rehearsal with the CBS crew. Everyone has been really great.

We've gotten to meet some of the celebrity judges - like Sister Seldge ("We are Family"), Jermaine Dupree (Grammy Winning rapper) and David Cassidy (huge 70's star).

We're staying down the road from the NYAC. I told my brother we should be going over there in between songs to drill and wrestle live - haha

I just found out that we will be performing first tomorrow right around 8am. Voting will be open from then until Monday morning. If you get a chance, watch this stuff below and vote for us SO WE CAN BEAT THESE GUYS from GEORGIA.

Thanks!

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/02/17/earlyshow/series/singingfamily_faceoff/main4806242.shtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eBFTF_jJMQ

John Ice added to this discussion on February 25, 2009

Good Luck this morning!

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on February 25, 2009

Joe,

You are in my old stomping grounds. I know you are focused on the show, good luck. Don't leave without going to St. Patrick’s cathedral, eating NYC pizza maybe at Rocky’s (the champs place) getting a Subret) hot dog from a street vendor (blue and yellow umbrella, getting real Jewish bagels from a bagel place and eating at a real deli. Then you can do the regular stuff like the statue of liberty, Ellis Island and the empire state building, grand central station and so on. If you’re up late go see letterman.

Have fun.
Mark

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on February 25, 2009

Joe,
Great job this morning. The family looked and sounded great!

Vote Early and Vote Often!

John Ice added to this discussion on February 25, 2009

Joe, would you mind if I posted about your venture on some other sights?

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on February 25, 2009

Hi John,

I wouldn't mind at all. That would be great.

Btw, Jermaine Dupree looks like he could have been a tough '12 or '19 pounder. Jim and I both joked with each other that he looked like he would be quick if he were a wrestler and could have hit a pretty mean duck, pick or double.

► Add to the Discussion