Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Mike Pucillo v. Jake Herbert?
Ken Maltry added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

Pucillo wrestles 197 and gets the fall in the 3rd period. It worked out well as a dual match strategy. Disappointing nonetheless. I think it's 19-18 Bucks.

And it all comes down to the heavies.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

NW's 97 is 6-15. Cook probably would have beaten him. If Pucillo beats Herbert and Cook wins, that's 6-0 aggregate instead of 6-6.

Puzzling move in my opinion. Is the dual win, with Palmer out, that important? 9 times out of 10 I would say the dual is more important, but this was probably the most anticipated match of the year.

Ken Maltry added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

Nice match by Morrison. He was the aggressor the whole match and comes out on top 10-2. Buckeyes come back and win the dual 23-18. Wow!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

Smart move by Ryan. If Herbert beats Pucillo, no guarantee we win 197. To win the dual, you trade wins at 184 & 197, and go with the heavy favorite in Morrison. BTW the Sponseller match shows how much Colt has improved in one year. Marella gave him a real close match early in his freshman season (last second TD to win). This time it was a major decision. I thought Rella gutted it out against a stubborn opponent.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 20, 2009

I was pumped about the match, just disappointed. Ryan wanting to win the dual, can't blame him.

Watching two national champs go at it is rare, though.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

Ohio State did not wrestle well in this dual and that probably factored into Coach Ryan's decision.

Triggas got TF'd....Humphrey was held to a decision...Jags eked out his usual win...No Palmer...Johnstone loses in OT...Rella goes to OT...
The only wrestler that did his job as prescribed prior to 184 was Sponseller.
If you wrestle Pucillo and he loses, it's up to Cook. Jason Cook is hardly a sure thing, esp. on the road against a fired up NW squad.

Pucillo and Sponseller are your most consistent performers and he used them to win the dual.

Disappointing...sure. Smart...yes.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

Quote from Mike Hojnacki's post:

"Bucks sent out Owen Schaefer instead of Palmer. He lost and the dual had a much different look to it, especially with Johnstone losing in OT. Anyone know why they didn't put Palmer out?"

Lance seemed to have tweaked his knee against Illinois. I think that's probably it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

i've seen this before too many times in College-- College coaches & the NWCA talk about making College wrestling more entertaining for fans--- well pulling Pucillo away from Herbert regardless of the reason flies in the face of that.

the great Mike Milkovich about 40 years ago wrote an article in which he talked about the need to be entertaining, and he was one of the very best at it, but too many others lose sight of this when they have an opportunity to entertain.

fans were very disappointed, thats the bottom line--- i like Tom Ryan and am glad he is our coach at Ohio st, he will make alot more good decisions than bad. But stuff like this is not good for College wrestling regardless why it was done. Cant lose sight of fact College wrestling is in BIG trouble, in a battle to survive.

John Ice added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

Nice Bob. Not a lot of fans really concerned what the final score was going to be, but many were very interested primarily in THE match. There was a bigger picture than the final score. OSU lost fans last night. hopefully the sport of wrestling did not lose any.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

i've seen this time and again by College coaches--- the NWCA talks a good game about making College wrestling more entertaining and drawing in more fans and publicity----- but imo coaches sometimes don't make the decisions that support those goals.

don't the loyal home team fans deserve an elite match, something to get a buzz of excitement going, to get the Columbus Dispatch to take notice ???????

High school wrestling is the backbone of the sport in America, and for good reason.
-----Everything we do at the IRONMAN, for example, is to promote the sport, draw in fans, be entertaining.

U got a few guys people think are unbeatable in Ohio every year ??? well at IRONMAN we intend to bring in guys from other states to beat these "unbeatable" Ohio guys. We don't protect our Ohio stars like other tourn in some states do. (The only time we have failed in finding someone to beat a kid is 4X Ironman champ David Taylor.)

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

Well you certainly tried hard to find someone to beat David Taylor! Darn him!

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

then someone needs to tell the coaches their jobs depend on ENTERTAINMENT and not wins/losses. Don't blame the coaches - besides, if OSU had lost the dual how would you feel about RYan? Better or worse? And how about those kids he's recruiting - think they won't look at the B10/NCAA team standings to help them choose a school?

Besides, as a fan, Pucillo and Herbert are pretty much guaranteed to wrestle in the B10 and NCAA tourneys.

Were I there, I'd be disappointed, too, but there is a bigger picture. Winning fills seats - when OSU can draw 10k for their matches, maybe then we'll see Ryan alter his strategy, but I doubt it.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

JP - what would you have said if JRob had bumped up Schlatter last year during the dual with Iowa to help the team win? Better yet, if Herbert had bumped up to help NW win the dual?

There are certain matches, a couple a year, that the whole wrestling community looks towards. This was THE match for this regular season.

This I promise: No recruit will say "I don't want to come to OSU because you lost a dual two years ago to NW when you sat Palmer" and no fan will say "I'm not going to this home meet because you lost to NW last season."

My thoughts are that no titles were decided last night, so why not let this marquee match take place?

And yes, I understand your point about not worrying about entertaining. However, Bob's point is valid that the sport needs to draw new fans, and only matches like this will do that.

I also agree that winning duals is the most important aspect, 99.9 percent of the time. In my humble opinion, the match was more important than the dual victory last night.

Ryan is a GREAT coach, no question. People just wanted to see that match!

(and there is no guarantee they will meet at B10's or Nationals)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

I was involved in coaching for 14 years and a high school head coach for 8. My goal was to win every dual meet. Ryan made the smart play to win the dual. I would have done the same thing. So would almost any coach. If you never ran a program, it's hard to explain. We're in the promotion biz but first it's all about attaining team goals. The Buckeyes have a good shot to finish second in the nation's toughest wrestling conference. A loss to NW would have made a difference.

The real problem was that Lance was unable to go. That was an 8 pt swing at least. If Lance is healthy, Pucillo wrestles Herbert.

There are no guarantees they'll meet again. But I have a feeling they will.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 21, 2009

Illinois did the same thing a few weeks ago when they moved their talented freshman up to 197, put the 2nd string Freidl in to wrestle Herbert. Basically the results were the same, Herbert won but so did Illinois at 197.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next