Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Discussion Topic: Mike Pucillo v. Jake Herbert?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Pat: Not looking to jump no you but....

Johnny Hendricks was incredibly good. His win over Churella was controversial but he was clearly the better wrestler. And his finals loss to Perry was an upset in the truest sense of the term. I think he and Herbert are on the same level.

I hadn't seen the recent Keddy v Herbert matchup but am not shocked to hear that it wasn't as close as the score. It sounds similar to when Pucillo beat Kirk Smith. Close score but Pucillo was never in trouble. Heck, I remember when Mike beat Ray Jordan on OT rideout in last year's national semis. That match took a long time but Pucillo was always in command.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Hank,
yes MikeP great at managing the close matches. But if Herbert gets the # 1 Big Ten seed as alot of savvy people think it will go down---- then the Nwstn dual conversation is going to stick around. Alot of savvy people say Ohio st U would have won the dual anyway even if MikeP wrestles Herbert and loses at 184. Ohio St was favored at 197 and 285 regardless if Mike P wrestles 184. But if MikeP wins Big Tens, regardless of his seed the debate winds down.

PatC,
Hank is right-- Johny Hendricks was very very good. I was siting next to guru AWN editor Ron Good at NCAAs when the finals were wrestled, i recall him telling me " Hendricks has beaten Perry NINE in a row , can he do it again?" ----Perry's win was an upset no doubt, and Hendricks was a 2X NCAA champ, not one.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Bob,

I am aware that Hendricks was very good. I refer to him as a 1x national champ to invoke my belief that Churella had him about as flat as you can get in their match, but that is the definition of beating a dead horse. In all fairness, Hendricks was better than Perry the year Perry beat him, so it all really worked out for Johnny.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4