Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Ohio State v. Wisconsin - Live on BTN Sunday
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Good observations about Humphrey. He looked sluggish at the onset and kept trying to hit another throw to finish the mat. My guess is that he was tired from the weight cut unless he was ill. I've never seen a college ref do a worse job of looking for a fall. It's not high school and that kid was stuck several times.

Bob--I love your comment about Triggas figure four. Triggas is something of a one trick pony--but it's a great trick.

Triggas seems to struggle with the weight cut. I'm sure Hump goes up next year. I wonder if Triggas does as well?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

I too thought Reece looked sick. I know that Dave was not feeling well. I thought a few of the guys looked a little flat. I wonder if a little bit of bug is going around the team.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Gary: Two weight cuts in three days on the road is no easy task (as I'm sure you know). Neither team looked overly inspired with the exception of 165. That was a heckuva match. I hated to see Colt lose but Howe is an undeniable stud.

He reminds me of what Chad Owens might have been. Howe has incredible power and uses his head and hands really well to defend.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

I'll say - for all his attempts, Colt never looked like he was going to hit a TD. Besides against Tannenbaum last year, that's about the first time I remember Sponseller looking so anemic offensively.

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Gary: Two weight cuts in three days on the road is no easy task (as I'm sure you know). Neither team looked overly inspired with the exception of 165. That was a heckuva match. I hated to see Colt lose but Howe is an undeniable stud.

He reminds me of what Chad Owens might have been. Howe has incredible power and uses his head and hands really well to defend."

Hank:

You're right about the weightcut and being on the road. This is a particularly tough trip because they did the entire trip by bus. I talked to Dave a few hours ago and they were eating on the bus and were looking at an 8-10 hour drive back to Columbus. I was a little dissappointed that they didn't fly the team. If you look at the OSU baseball team schedule they play in Florida every weekend for like the next 4 weeks. Obviously they are flying every week, but they won't spring for the wrestling team to fly to Chicago. It is pretty strange because I think for the most part the wrewstling team and other teams at OSU are very well treated. I guess like every other business the Ath. Dept has to try to save where they can.

Howe was very impressive. His defense and poise were great. Colt wrestled very hard as usual. Colt will adjust like he always does and will beat him at Big Tens.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

I agree, Colt will adjust as always. I'm not sure what impresses me more about Colt, his constant pushing of the action or his ability to adjust to an opponent from one match to the next. Howe really impressed me today though. He is definitely a stud.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

"BTW did anyone else think the ref misses a pin in Humps match? Man, it seemed like the kid had to be flat more than a few times, imo"
-----------------------------------------
this Ref was a good one too, Gary Mayabb from Missouri , i know him, a great high school coach in Kansas City--- he refed NCAAs last March. He had the best seat in the house so he wasnt out of position or anything like that, so i gotta give Mayabb the nod here.

re flying vs auto, look for alot of belt tightening, everywhere incl Ohio St. i think Buckeyes will find out they don't have an automatic guaranteed full house sell-out even for home Football games vs MAC schools. By the Fall this economy could be in full retreat, imo, and people will be scared to spend. Washington has no answers, just throwing $$$ at it and hoping--- Reagan was right, Washington is part of the problem not the solution.

Ohio St U supports more Varsity sports than any other college in America, so i'm sure AD Gene Smith has the sharp pencil and magnifying glass out already.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

"I'm sure Hump goes up next year. I wonder if Triggas does as well?"
-------------------------------------

Hank, as ive said before, yes u r right Humphrey & Jaggers move up next season ---- and the plan is for Paddock the incoming freshman to start at 133--- if Triggas moved up it would be a surprise. Freshman Collin Palmer will be redshirted if this scenario plays out. .

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on February 22, 2009

Bob - you might be correct about the MAC team sellout thing. I went to the Penn State game this past season and the RV lot by the baseball stadium seemed half full. I have never seen it not completely packed but that's a whole different topic.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"Ohio St U supports more Varsity sports than any other college in America, so I'm sure AD Gene Smith has the sharp pencil and magnifying glass out already."

I think Harvard actually has the most varsity sports, but tOSU is definitely up there.

About Sponseller: People say Howe stalled, but I don't think he did. He had very good defense. I do think that Colt was a little off today, but that may just be the fan in me making excuses. Anyways, I still think he will end up winning an NCAA title.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Colt has lost four matches this year (excluding the messy all star meet contest with the funky Fay) and he failed to score a takedown in each contest.

Lewnes (twice), Howe and Marable all shut him out on his feet. Colt is also solid on top and bottom but if there's a formula to beating him, it's to prevent him from getting to your legs.

Colt has made some excellent adjustments this year and you almost never see his knees touch the mat on a shot. But he needs at least one attack that the best opponents won't expect to win the Nationals. He almost penetrated against Howe early on one of underhook set ups but he tried to snatch the single rather than actually commit to a shot (that was the time he clapped his hands in frustration). I can tell that the staff wants him on his feet and I agree. Yet, as is often the case in life, the truth lies in the paradox. He's unlikely to win NCAA's unless he occasionally shoots "old school". I wouldn't do it against Fay because that's a guy you never want to wrestle from the knees. But to beat the three horses--Lewnes, Howe, and Marable--will require a change.

Colt probably lost top seed for Big Tens yesterday so he's likely to deal with Morningstar in the semis. They seem very evenly matched.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Vallimont might be seeded relatively low. I know he has wrestled like crap this year, but that could be a tough draw early in the tourney. He or Kendle could pull a 6-7 seed and make things tough for Morningstar and Sponseller.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

Young, Kendle, Smith-Bergsrud, Vallimont, Manuel and Glasser are all solid. If you're not "on your game" they can beat you. But Vallimont is in a mental funk right now as is the whole Penn State program.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 23, 2009

"I think Harvard actually has the most varsity sports, but tOSU is definitely up there. "

Ben, no no, no, i wasnt counting Club sports.

i said Varsity meaning it is supported by Athletic Dept budget & athletic Grant-in-Aid scholarships. Ohio St numbers about 34 or 35. U of Michigan is only in the upper 20s. ----And Harvard offers No athletic Grant-in-Aid, unlike Ohio St U.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2