Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: David Taylor vs Eric Grajales...
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

This match is from 2004. That definitely is Grajales not sure about Taylor though. Check it out!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJiK5AV4trk

This is why I believe Grajales does not want to go to Senior Nationals!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

theres another top kid there at 135, Ohio St recruit Paddock from NY , has finished 1-3-1-? in hs so far----- lost only 2 matches, he's like 182 & 2------ just beat 3X state champ Ekstrom 5-0 up at 135. Paddock only weighs 138 i am told but moved up for good of team.

i expect Hump to move up and Paddock to start at 133 for Ohio st next season. Ryan knows his stuff, he wont be outrecruited overall. Lost Taylor and apparently Jamie Clark that hurts --- but he got Logan Stieber and the Palmers, and he needs Chris Phillips ---and i think Ohio st likes as well they should Cam Tessari and perhaps Thomusseit. Alot of talent now in PA, esp Juniors, i think Ryans eyes are drifting east, too.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

<sign_oh> boyz...

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

It's insane that Cam Tessari is considered a "weaker" recruit out of Monroeville. The guy is flat out good.

Is there a reason you left out Hunter Stieber, Bob, or are you just assuming he will follow Logan?

Hunter Stieber, Chris Phillips, and Cam Tessari should definitely give tOSU the #1 recruiting class if Tom Ryan can pull it off. Combine that with Logan Stieber and Max Thomusseit, and that is a team that can win some titles.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

btw, my error, Paddock is 1-1-3-1, he is going for his 4th state title , in NY can wrestle in 8th grade. i think Paddock not getting quite the appreciation from buckeye fans he deserves, he is very very good. Beat Villlaonga of Blair at Jr Duals last summer, beat Grajales in Fargo Greco in first period then inj defaulted out.

nothing "weak" about Tessari, i would never imply that, only top wrestlers were even mentioned--- but Logan Stieber is perhaps the nations # 1 junior and Chris Phillips the # 1 Soph. Hunter Stieber is top shelf but not quite in Logan's class yet.

obviously there is a dearth of BIG guys, so Chris Phillips if Ohio st misses on him, thats a huge miss. He is a must-have.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Bob: Agreed that Phillips is a must. I know you weren't implying Tessari is a must get, but what I'm saying is that if Monroeville wasn't so ridiculous right now, Cam would be getting talked about like crazy. Has he lost any matches that weren't at Ironman? I don't think he has, and most of his losses there have been by 1 point. He would be a phenomenal pickup for Ohio State, but he might only be the 3rd best guy they get that year--assuming they get him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

--Pay close attention to the things Bob says about where the Buckeyes are looking. It's his job to know. I would love to see the Bucks land a few PA studs. Those guys bring it.

--Hunter Stieber is a terrific high school wrestler but it's hard to say how he translates as a D1 college competitor. I love how hard he competes but his leg attacks are not the best. Given his lanky build, he'll need to be brutal on top and equally good with counters to be a successful collegiate.

--Chris Phillips is a "must get" for a program that wants to land Ohio's best. Ohio hs studs are looking towards Columbus but there is no fence around the state. Too much talent here to keep it all at home. If Kent finishes this season strong, it should help keep more top kids in Ohio.

--Missing on Jamie Clark is less of a blow if Logan Stieber can go 125.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

It can't hurt TOSU's recruiting with Pa's junior class that PSU is having so much trouble with some of their athletes and many on various forums are calling for a change there.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

"I would love to see the Bucks land a few PA studs. Those guys bring it."

Hank, yes i expect a few PA studs to unofficial-visit Ohio St U this spring. Ohio st is also in on a super California kid. All juniors.

Besides Logan Stieber who has verbaled, right now Ohio St needs to recruit a 197 and they need Chris Phillips. Those are Must-Haves. If LSteiber a colege 125-- which he is wreslting right now his junior year in HS so i doubt he is-- that solves a problem. But i don't think Logan is, so Jamie Clark was a huge miss, imo. Clark is pretty sensational i think, and AWN # 1 at 119 as only a junior.

i cant comment on Penn St, i have friends in that program & wish them the best, its still a great program with alot of tradition and following in PA.

Lehigh on the upmove will mean more PA kids stay in state, coaches Santoro and Hughes have fans over there.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

PSU has landed many Ohio studs who were skeptical of the program in Columbus. Maybe Ohio State can begin to return the favor.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

another top 3 NCAA finish will seal the deal, even a top 5, Ryan's regime in Columbus is for real. No more Mr Nice Guys.

Tressel signed 2 of PAs top 3 football recruits this month, Ryan can establish similar program perhaps. Doesnt have 85 fulls to throw around, but u get my point.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on February 28, 2009

Interesting Bob. It seems the top up and coming PA wrestlers (Altons, Kindig) are at weights where the Bucks already have alot of money tied up. What weight do the Alton project in college?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on February 28, 2009

By the time the Alton's are frosh, Nemec will be a junior and Sponseller could be in his last season. Those guys look like they'll be bigger than Collin Palmer. I'd lock them up without hesitation if I could.

Bucks tried hard to land Alex Meade in spite of having Nemec. You can't have too much talent. Iowa proves it every year. Several of their backups are top twenty caliber right now.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on February 28, 2009

One can only hope to tap some of what Pennsylvania provides especially with the Altons and Kindig. However, it'll take quite a bit of work and time before we're able to build what Iowa has.

From what I've seen with the titans of wrestling Iowa and Oklahoma State they have a tradition as long as my arm with waaaaay too many NCAA titles. Also, they have two coaches leading their programs who have won at the very highest levels of the sport. Iowa State has that to a lesser degree in that they have tradition (not quite as dominating when compared to Iowa and Okie State), but they have Cael Sanderson.

We're kind of in the same boat that Minnesota was in before they started winning. Right now, we have a great coach (though one without the name recognition that a Tom Brands, John Smith, or Cael Sanderson carries), a program with recent success, being situated in a top 3 wrestling state. What needs to happen now is continued success with placing top 5 in the NCAAs, keep up the recruiting and development of the wrestlers; and what I think could be huge for tOSU in the future, the development of the Ohio Regional Training Center. If we can bring in top level wrestlers wanting to train for the world team, that's only more incentive for blue chip wrestlers wanting to train here.

So we're within a few years of becoming not just a hot, up and coming program, but a Juggernaut, if things fall in place.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 1, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"By the time the Alton's are frosh, Nemec will be a junior and Sponseller could be in his last season. Those guys look like they'll be bigger than Collin Palmer. I'd lock them up without hesitation if I could.

Bucks tried hard to land Alex Meade in spite of having Nemec. You can't have too much talent. Iowa proves it every year. Several of their backups are top twenty caliber right now."

Since there is some discussion of PA kids - I would add Peppleman to the Bucks wish list (thought it's a short price bet that he follows his brother to Harvard).

Here's a link to the PA State finals coming up this week.
http://liveevents.nhscasportsnetwork.com/2009piaa-aaa/

BTW, Kindig is 135, the Altons at 140 and 145, and Peppleman at 152.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next