Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: NCAA D1 Qualifier numbers are out (by conference/region)
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

The numbers awarded per conference were just released, and as I suspected and have been saying for a year, the ACC greatly benefitted. It was always my theory that the ACC was pressuring the NCAA for a new system, and since the ACC provides a lot of football and basketball revenue the fact is they have clout.

278 Qualifiers have been awarded among the conference/regional tournaments 52 at-large qualifiers remain to be awarded and the NCAA committee will meet to allocate those after the conference tournaments are completed. Each weight will have 33 wrestlers. Here goes (remember 52 at-large remain):

ACC -- 27 (way up)
Big Ten -- 61
Big 12 -- 37
Colonial -- 20
East Regional -- 10
EIWA -- 38
EWL -- 22 (way down)
MAC -- 19 (will get some at-large so they gain )
PAC-10 -- 20
Southern Conference -- 11
West Regional -- 13

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Bob, thanks for the info. Do you happen to know who comprises the NCAA committee that will allocate the remaining qualifiers? I am merely curious as to the make-up of the committee.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

Conference 125 133 141 149 157 165 174 184 197 285 Total
ACC 2 3 5 3 3 1 1 2 4 3 27
Big 10 7 6 7 5 7 8 6 6 4 5 61
Big 12 3 3 3 2 4 5 3 4 5 5 37
CAA 2 1 1 1 2 2 4 2 4 1 20
East Regional 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10
EIWA 3 4 2 6 4 3 6 4 2 4 38
EWL 3 2 1 3 3 3 1 1 1 4 22
MAC 2 3 2 2 1 1 2 3 1 2 19
Pac-10 3 3 3 2 2 1 1 1 2 2 20
SOCON 1 1 2 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 11
West Regional 1 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 2 1 13
TOTAL QUALIFIERS 28 28 28 28 29 27 27 27 27 29 278

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

What were the ACC and EWL numbers last year?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 26, 2009

My thoughts on the ACC:

I think it is a GOOD thing for the number of qualifiers from conferences in other parts of the country to increase. To Bob's point in another discussion, wrestling has struggled to gain popularity and attract new fans. If the national qualifiers continues to be constricted to the a few conferences, it will not help in this pursuit.

The ACC part of the country seems to recommitted to the sport, maybe starting when Brands was hired at Virginia Tech. The Hokies, Virginia, ODU (not in the ACC), UNC, and Maryland all are on the rise nationally. It would be tough to sustain this popularity growth with 14 qualifiers. They need people wrestling at the highest level to attract fans, gain support internally from the athletic department, and attract recruits.

Doing a quick spot check, the ACC has 32 wrestlers ranked in the top 33 of the latest coaches poll. 27 seems like an accurate number of AQ's. If those 32 had to battle for 14 spots, it would be unjust.

Let me qualify this by saying I am a Big Ten and MAC fan, but I think it is important for other conferences to be well represented at the nationals. It cannot hurt the sport for UNC, NC St, UVA, etc to be better at wrestling.

The Big Ten will likely lose no qualifying spots within the new system. However, if the 8th place finisher from the Big Ten or 5th place finisher from the Big XII don't make it, I would argue that he should have won one more match at the conference tournament.

Todd Vennis added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

I think this change is for the betterment of the sport. Will some kids get left out yes.

one has to understand that under the old system a conference could have 80% of its qualifiers reach all american and still lose bids if those guys all placed 7th and 8th.

My father, when he coached at Thiel, got a minimal amount of reform in Div. III during his tenure as Pres. of NWCA by presenting this to the executive committee of Div. III.

Those other schools, outside of the big 10, big 12, need to at least try and sell kids that they have a realistic shot at getting to nationals or those programs will continue to slowly die off.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

Brad,
no i don't know who comprises the NCAA Committee, i think 2 coaches from each conference/regional or something like that.

i sent out a Feedback question yesterday to a handful of college notable coaches, only a handful responded, but only one so far says great idea .

one coach, like i do, thinks ACC has alot of clout via football and basketbal revenue--- obviously ACC is big winner which i said would be the case a year ago. ACC only 14 Quals last year i think, but u know that was based on recent years performance at NCAAs. EWL will take take a hit, deservedly probably.

with new Qual system, we will see after NCAAs who underperformed per their # of Quals ??? which conference/regional had the most AAs and round of 12 wrestlers per # of Quals ???? that tells the story. The numbers don't lie !!

i think in recent years, i figured it out once and, the Big 12 was the best followed by the Big Ten , they have done the most with their Quals, more AAs & round of 12ers for the # of Quals. ----Not the ACC which overnite will more than DOUBLE their # of Qauls. I'm told ACC has put alot of $$$ in wrestling recently but has it shown on the mat ???

MAC figures to improve, guaranteed 19 already same as last years total, plus MAC should get a few of the 52 at large.

yes we can say its nice that some conferences get more, but do they deserve more ?? this isn't a Fed Govt spread the wealth program--- not supposed to be anyway though may work out that way. Have to see who lost, its a zero sum gain, TOTAL is still 330 . Only dif is now it has to be 33 per wt exactly.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

I don't know the AA stats, but last year 7 out of 10 NCAA Champs were out of the Big 10, and they had at least one representative in each weight class in the finals. Now we go from 70+ qualifiers to 61??

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on February 27, 2009

Jack - there are 52 wild card spots left. I think you can assume at least 9 will go to the Big Ten.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on February 28, 2009

Todd:

NCAA bids in the historical system were done based on NCAA round of 12 participation.

While the example you gave doesn't apply, the general premise does. That being this new system allows the necessary flexibility to ensure that a closer represenation of the best kids are in the field when the day is done.

If the grievance is over whether the 24th best or 27th best should get in, I can live with that -- if the alternative is a system in which a Midlands Champ (like Mike Grimes) doesn't make it b/c he finishes 4th in a tough MAC weight class (qualified Jason Bake, Jermain Thompson, and somebody else that year I'm blanking on).

► Add to the Discussion