Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Claymont's Cody Garbrandt
Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 2, 2009

I saw at 140 pounds Cody Garbrandt from Claymont did not make state this year (6th at district, I believe). Anyone know what happened here? Two years ago he was the state champ. Last year he was state runner-up. Did the big jump in weight effect him that much or was it something else? Just curious because I've never seen something like this before.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on March 2, 2009

I wouldn't know for sure but I would venture to say that conditioning had a little to do with it. He was out for nearly the entire year and only wrestled like 4 or 5 matches before the sectional. Had he wrestled all year long, I am sure that he would have been wrestling this weekend in Columbus.

Greg Debbe added to this discussion on March 2, 2009

The same kind of thing happened to Garret Manley from Holland Springfield, 4th D1 103 last year. I think Manley is a little different because from the results it looks like he didn't wrestle at all in the district. Does anyone know why?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 2, 2009

Why was he out all year?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 3, 2009

Garbarandt had a fairly serious back injury, among other things.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 3, 2009

I listened to the match he lost in the consi semis (on Claymont's radio station, it was great stuff). He was up 8-0 after the 1 minute first period and then just faded.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 3, 2009

Pat is correct. Cody Garbrandt has been wrestling with significant injury all season. He should not have been competing and was apparently unable to overcome his medical issues.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 3, 2009

That is a shame. From what I read in the online Times Reporter, he handled the loss with a great deal of class and dignity. He shook the opposing coach's hand, gathered his stuff, and walked out of the gym. No public display of anger or anything. Very good role model for younger wrestlers to follow. Even in defeat he still emerged a victor. Good for him. I hope he does well next year. I'm sure he will.

Luke Moore added to this discussion on March 3, 2009

I will confirm that. Cody was very respectful throughout the whole weekend. After all the negative thrreads on these forums about Claymont, I was expecting a couple of street fights during the weekend. It was quite the opposite at districts. Their wrestlers, fans and coaches were all very supportive, respectful and gracious. They have a great team and the central district will be rooting for you this weekend.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 4, 2009

I always enjoyed competing against Claymont when I was in high school (Dover). They were so much fun to wrestle because you knew their fans were going to be in to it. However, when we were at sectionals/districts/state, we always cheered for each other. My senior year, I think I had as many Claymont fans cheering for me as I did Dover fans. Great bunch of people...especially if you show them just a little respect as a competitor.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 4, 2009

Luke: I don't remember reading any negative threads here. Solid program year in and year out. I think these are the type of smaller programs that can save, or at least maintain, wrestling. Loyal following with lots of tradition.

► Add to the Discussion