Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Big Ten Updates
Hugh Gettig added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

http://revwrestling.com/articles/4754/2009-Big-Ten-Championships-Session-1-Running-Blog

Rev wrestling is posting a running update from the Big Ten Tournament.

Highlights: Jaggers over the thorn in his side, Thorn (MN) 11-3.
Humphrey over Ness (MN) 11-4. Wow!

Johnstone was upset by Colton Salazar (Purdue), 12-10.

Palmer upset by Nadhr of NW in OT, 9-8.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

Triggas loses to Purdue as well. Now he wrestles Sanders after a first rd cons bye.

Rella goes down 3-2 to Dergo.

These two join Johnstone and Palmer as first rd upsets.

I'm thrilled for Hump and Jags but the Bucks lost four winnable first round bouts.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

Johnstone lost to Sanders, Morrison is out.
On the good side, Humphrey beat Dennis 5-2 in the semi's to advance to tomorrow's finals.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

Rella wins his first cons as does Palmer. Morrison, Johnstone, and Triggas both go 0-2.

Hump beats Dennis--that's an upset--period. Nice win for Humphrey. He appears to have brought his best this weekend.

Jaggers loses 3-1 to Tanelli.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

Colt loses in 2nd TB w/ Morningstar riding him out and him getting an escape.
Pucillo lost in TB after being up by 1 but gave up a 4 pt move to seal the deal. Not a good OT showing by the Buckeyes today.

Hugh Gettig added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

Hopefully, things get better at the NCAA tournament. I have high hopes for Humphrey, Jaggers, Sponseller and Pucillo.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on March 8, 2009

Hugh Gettig? now that's a name I haven't heard of in a long, long time. I'm guessing your the Hugh Gettig who went to Hawken in the early 80's and the younger brother of Andy Gettig who wrestled for Cleveland Heights in the late 70's. Your mother used to give me and your brothers rides to freestyle practices at the East Cleveland YMCA.

At any rate the Buckeyes rebound in the consi':

Humphrey 2nd; Jaggers 3rd (same as last year...nice win of Tsirtis of Iowa). Palmer 3rd; Sponseller 4th; Rella 5th; Pucillo 3rd.

According to the new rules the NCAA will award an additional 52 at large bids to be annouce March 11th. Triggas should defintely get one, Johnstone might also. right now we have 6 qualifers based on conference performance, but I'm expecting 7 for sure maybe 8.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Under the NCAA’s new selection criteria for the national championship tourn, Ohio State has qualified at least six weight classes – 133, 141, 149, 165, 174 and 184.

the NCAA Division I Wrestling Committee will meet in-person to select the remaining 52 at-large qualifiers, which will be announced on March 11 (Wednesday) as Al already mentioned.

Buckeyes need at least one more from the 52 at large, 6 Quals only would be disappointing.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

We lost some OT matches that really impacted our overall team standing. Finishing 6th this year was disappointing. I felt we had enough firepower to pull out a higher placement that that. Oh well, things go like this some times. Can't say it was due to a lack of effort. Some things just didn't go our way or we just made one bad/dumb move that cost us.
Colt's inability to get out on bottom caught up to him in the semi's against Morningstar. As we saw last year w/ Pucillo in the NCAA finals, getting out could be what gets you the title.
Jags seems to be getting into championship form. I've noticed he isn't making the "dumb" moves he was earlier. By that, I mean he isn't taking foolish chances (dive through when a wizzer is more prudent). He is in virtually every match and beat a very good Tsirtis from Iowa in the 3rd place finals. Don't know if he'll win it, but he's looking more like championship form than any other time this year.
Mikey P - not sure what happened there. Keddy is a stud and gave him a real battle last year. Don't think Mike had been called for stalling, so I'm not sure why he decided to engage Keddy given there was 10 seconds or less left on the clock. You know what they say about hindsight.
Morrison - What happened? 0-2? Given the numbers for 285 qualifiers are down in the Big Ten, I don't look for him to be making the trip.
Triggas - Although he went 0-2 in the Big Tens, could his last few weeks have gotten him a trip to the NCAAs?
Johnstone - What was the deal with him? I didn't get to see any of his match against Ben Jordan. The score looked pretty bad. Was the match really that bad? I ask because he pretty much controlled Jordan in the dual just a couple of weeks earlier.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

in hindsight, the buckeye 157 perhaps should have been Nemec ?

only 5 hwts qualify, but if u go 0 & 2 it doesnt matter if 7 or 8 qualify, got to win a match to go.

Hugh Gettig added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

"Hugh Gettig? now that's a name I haven't heard of in a long, long time. I'm guessing your the Hugh Gettig who went to Hawken in the early 80's and the younger brother of Andy Gettig who wrestled for Cleveland Heights in the late 70's. Your mother used to give me and your brothers rides to freestyle practices at the East Cleveland YMCA. "

Yep, that's me. How are you, Al? Those were the days. Driving down Lee Rd to the Y to get my butt kicked at wrestling practice. Trying not to do something to get on Mr. Kenyon's bad side and get paddled.

As far as the Bucks go, the Big Ten tourney didn't go as planned but I still think they can do some serious damage at nationals. I'm looking forward to Kent State placing two to three guys as well.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Apparently Sponseller left his leg defense at home. Young (Indiana) took him down twice, Smith-Bergsrud (Illinois) took him down once, and Dan Vallimont took him down 3 times.

Triggas needed to (and should have) win his first match to qualify. He didn't do it, and so he drew the loser of Sanders and Pataky. He would have a tough time either way in that match.

Johnstone got screwed in both of his matches on bad takedown calls. The thing is, they are both matches he should have won, and he shouldn't have left them in the hands of the refs.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

What was disappointing to me was that a lot of the losses were to guys they had beaten in the duals, Rella lost to Drego, Johnstone to Salazar, and Colt to Vallimont. I thought Hump was great in throwing Ness right to his back & getting two quick TD's on #1 Dennis (did everyone forget he beat Dennis this last summer in FS?) He nearly beat Gomez; I don't know how Gomez got out of that double leg in OT, Hump had him in the air?? Mike must of had a mental lapse in letting Keddy get that TD after he had escaped & had a 1 point lead w/10 seconds. to go. Jags nearly got to the finals, a real close match with Tanelli; again another last second TD thwarted because Tanelli was klinging to J's ankle at the buzzer. J did a great job against Thorn & Tsirtsis, though. Palmer started slow, but seemed to get stronger and sharper in his later matches, unlike Colt who seemed to tire at the end of the weekend. He did have a real tough, and perhaps draining match against Morningstar in the semi's. But they have 2 weeks to recoup, and like last year showed, you don't have to be a Big Ten champ to be an NCAA champ!!

Hugh Gettig added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

I was positive Humphrey was going to get that takedown. Gomez has cat like reflexes. It's tough to get in deep on him and even if you do, it's tougher to finish.

Palmer finished the tournament strong. Looks like he needed to get that first match out of the way after some time off for his knee.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Yeah, Nadir frustrated Palmer and Bubba Jenkins. He has a decent single, and if you're not careful, you'll spend a lot of energy fighting that off. Plus a lot of the action seemed to take place at the edge of the mat. Seemed like Lance lost a few TD's at the edge. Plus Nadir is funky enough to get stalemates out of what appeared to be TD's.

Of the 4 Buckeyes that didn't qualify, I'm hoping Johnstone can get a wildcard invite. His close match with #2 seed Welch, late in the season, might be one thing to consider, I hope.

► Add to the Discussion