Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: A match every day...
Deke Gunsolley added to this discussion on March 7, 2009

As the official close of the 2009 wrestling season has come to it's conclusion tonight, I'm inspired to write a note...

The reason why I love this sport *so* much, is the mere fact that regardless if you're familiar with the sport of wrestling or not... because those of us who get up every day, breathe in and out, and choose to work to improve ourselves, improve those around us, and live our lives without regret.. We *all* are wrestlers...

My personal wrestling career was not as successful as I had dreamed it would be. I was never a state champion, nor did I ever get to stand on top of that podium in the events that I sincerely wished I had... (Although I came very close as a coach of the most incredible national teams I could have imagined...) The lessons that I've learned from this sport, have every day applications that I would never trade for a top spot on the podium...

You don't have to understand the sport of wrestling to comprehend that these athletes have gone through 4 months of the most intense training, self discipline, and self determination that I would argue is *above and beyond* that of any other sport... It's a decision *they* have made for themselves, and at the end of the day the only person these athletes have to hold accountable is themselves... And isn't that point true for every one of us?...

The simple fact remains that we *all* wrestle a match every single day of our lives. From the smallest decision to "do the right thing", to the multi-million dollar decision to take the responsibilty for our national enconomy... From the mother who redirects poor decisions with love, understanding & forgiveness.. to the coach who pushes their athletes to believe in themselves... From the fireman who goes into that burning building when everyone else is fleeing... to the Police officer who saves our lives every day without anyone ever realizing it... From making it through the workday without giving into the the stress & strain... to those who advocate for those who cannot... From the bean counters to the factory worker...

We *all* wrestle a match every day... and as I told someone earlier today... Sometimes... even when we loose... we win...

To those wrestlers who participated this weekend... I'm proud of you... and I salute you...

To those who continue to "wrestle" a match every day... I'm proud of you... and I salute you as well...

Take a chance... risk nothing... gain everything... *live*... with no regrets...

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: A match every day...
John Mackesy added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Well written.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion