Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Orlando Scales
Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

I have heard that this top-ranked 215 might not have the grades to get into a D1 school.

Has he committed anywhere or no? I would imagine the tOSU coaches would be in heavy contact with him, because I seem to remember him saying he wanted to go to Ohio State after last year's state tournament.

Does anyone have any info that they can share?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

I have no idea whether or not this is true, but I would find it hard to believe that a student at a catholic school who has been eligible every semester could have grades that low. I would be suspicious of this. If anything, maybe test scores.

To my knowledge, he has not commited anywhere. When we talked to him at the OSU wrestle-offs, he said he had not.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Scales would fit in nicely at CSU.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"I have no idea whether or not this is true, but I would find it hard to believe that a student at a catholic school who has been eligible every semester could have grades that low. I would be suspicious of this. If anything, maybe test scores.

To my knowledge, he has not commited anywhere. When we talked to him at the OSU wrestle-offs, he said he had not."

You clearly have fallen for the myth of Catholic schools. Or all priviate schools for that matter.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Good point, Gary.

I've said this before but it bears repeating.

No way, no how is Orlando Scales a good D1 prospect. He has great hips and power but his technique is poor for such an accomplished competitor. I've watched him several times and he has no offense whatsoever. He wrestles like a 1970's 285 with his double underhooks. If he could at least use his underhooks to hit a leg attack, I'd be more inclined to think he has potential. How is a guy with zero leg attacks going to win matches in the Big Ten? I don't even know if he has any idea how to finish a shot. It's not easy to teach that stuff when you're in college. I think he's a hard working wrestler with great physical gifts and he deserves credit for his great high school accomplishments. But at the next level, he'd be fodder for much more skilled competitors. They'd ride him into the ground and pick him apart on his feet once he tired.

He's a project and the Buckeyes already have plenty of those at 285. Like I said...he'd make a good Viking. They need anyone with talent regardless of skill level.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

Gary,

Facts are facts.

Fact one- In order to be eligible to play a sport, there are academic requirements.

Fact two- If a college program wants you, they can get you in unless you have really bad grades or test scores.

If you have the grades to stay eligible, which are usually around 2.5 or higher at many schools, private or public, you will be eligible by the NCAA's requirements. Like I said, I doubt grades are an issue. If it were true that Scales isn't eligible, which I have no knowledge of and on which I will not speculate, I would guess it would be test scores and not grades.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on March 9, 2009

I have worked out with orlando and he does have a leg attack, but he is much more comfortable throwing.In fact he actually is really good at scrambling for a big guy. If there is any where he needs to work it is top and bottom. I think he would be a great asset at northern michigian at the olympic education center. Trust me if he wasn't that great Michigian,Ohio state, and other big ten schols wouldn't have courted him.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 10, 2009

Tony: I trust your word on these matters. As for my comments...I can only go by what I've seen.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on March 10, 2009

If not at Ohio State, I have to think he would at least be a great pick up for KSU, since Porter will be graduating.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 10, 2009

Quote from Pat Costilow's post:

"Gary,

Facts are facts.

Fact one- In order to be eligible to play a sport, there are academic requirements.

Fact two- If a college program wants you, they can get you in unless you have really bad grades or test scores.

If you have the grades to stay eligible, which are usually around 2.5 or higher at many schools, private or public, you will be eligible by the NCAA's requirements. Like I said, I doubt grades are an issue. If it were true that Scales isn't eligible, which I have no knowledge of and on which I will not speculate, I would guess it would be test scores and not grades."

Excepts grades are often not facts, but rather the opinion of the teacher. They can be made almost anything the teacher or administration wants them to be, and this can be done at a Catholic school just as easily if not moreso than at a public school.

Again, don't fall for the myth.

► Add to the Discussion