Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: D1 Wagner College drops wrestling
Stu Herman added to this discussion on March 12, 2009

Wagner College in Staten Island, NY dropped their Division 1 wrestling and women's volleyball teams.

I feel horrible for Ohio native and all around great guy, Doug Jesse who is the head coach there. He wasn't getting nearly the university support required (less than 1 scholarship) and trying to turn around a program that has struggled historically.

http://wagnerathletics.com/news/2009/3/12/WREST_0312093524.aspx

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 12, 2009

Should have dropped football. It would have been much more sensible for the school. I feel badly for Coach Jesse as well.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 13, 2009

Why would a school the size of Wagner even be trying to support a Div 1 program? A hold-over from a by-gone era perhaps?

I suppose there must be some $$$ reason why schools like Wagner continue to try to support Div 1 athletics?

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 13, 2009

I posted this on another thread, forum here it is again.

I am a former East Regional guy, having wrestled at the University of Dayton from 1991 to 1995. At one point, in 1994, we had as many as 12-13 teams. I went 4-2 my senior year to finish a modest 4th, but I still got six matches in a bracket tournament. As recent as three years ago, it was down to 5 teams, now it is up to seven. Regardless, a general theme has been poor performance at the NCAA level. Our last AAs ( I remember) were Cal-Penn guys like Michael Swift or Kevin Kinane.

The performance has led to many programs on the bubble or cut: Dayton, Howard, Campbell, Cal PA, Georgia State. And now Wagner. It isn't from effort. I can tell you that Dayton funded us very poorly. The HC was not full time and, truthfully, many of us were not true D1 guys. I know I wasn't, usually getting owned by B10 or B12 guys. However, an equal amount of D1 time was put in by the team: morning and afternoon workouts, old school weight cuts, travel, training room, study table, etc. I am not excusing the performance of lower end D1s (including Dayton), but I am just wondering how this can be remedied. What remains is that a decent ER team (like Millersville or Liberty) often dominates the qualifier, only to fall early at the NCAAs.

So, is the East Region a self-fullfilling prophecy to stink and be expendable?? What can be done, outside of more funding? Even I, a ER alumni, often looks with disdain upon this qualifier.

► Add to the Discussion