Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Official who should the Buckeyes recruit thread
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 14, 2009

Lots of talk on different threads about 197, 125, and the future of 165/174. I thought we could pull it all together into one thread. Here are my thoughts on the areas of need.

125-Rough sophmore slump for Triggas after coming in highly touted. He could solidifying his status with a couple wins this weekend. Harrington and Touris wait in the wings. Stieber has verballed but many see him as a 133. Jamie Clark verballed to ISU but the word is tOSU made a push for him. As discussed in another thread, Robinson, Mitch, and Sako are all excellent prospects heading into their senior year. How big these guys get and how their wrestling developes will likely determine who the Bucks pursue.

165/174-The Buckeyes have Sponseller for 2 more years and Rell for one more. Nick Heflin looks to be a 174 in college while Magrum seems to be headed to 184 or even 197 (for team purposes). I would really like to see OSU go after Josh Demas. The kid is lighting quick and has the total package. I think he grows into a 165/174. Toal or Lang would have been nice but those ships have sailed.

197-Who will be wrestling 197 for the Bucks next year and in the future. Cook filled in admirably this year with Gardner having weight issues and Weakley reportedly off the team. He did not look to be a guy that could score at Big 10 and Nationals. I have seen talk of Magrum moving up and competing at 197. This doesn't seem to be too far a stretch when you think, Magrum competed at 189 2 years ago. Huntley would be nice here but the word is he stays a Blair for a postgraduate year. Thomusseit looked big and bad at state and is certainly worth a look. I still haven't recieved a good answer on why Orlando Scales is not considered a top prospect at 197?

Thooghts?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 14, 2009

I'm also hearing Weakley is gone, Magrum to move up to 197. I'm hoping the Bucs can land Chris Philips along with Stieber, but that's still a few years away though.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 14, 2009

Thomusseit's brother wrestles at Pitt, correct? Not at all an insider, but if Zac is happy at Pitt I believe that would give the Panthers a pretty clear recruiting advantage.

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

Thomusseit was easily my favorite wrestler at state this year. He doesn't seem to give a rip and literally just throws people around Although I realize that won't happen on the D1 level, he reminds me of Bergman in that regard. Obviously, a great comparison if it holds. I think Pitt gets tricky because both guys are probably 184's. However, given their growth patterns, one could be a 197.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

I prefer the Buckeyes recruit in-state guys so I like some of your suggestions. But, after seeing Ironman video it's hard not to like Devin Carter, the VA soph. Very polished all around and only 112. Down the road, he's someone to consider.

I love Max Thomusseit. Ohio wrestler from Graham at an area of need--seems ideal. There are some good outside state possibilities from the same class but he'd be my first selection. For whatever reason, Ohio State has not yet clicked with Graham on a recruit. I don't there's a conspiracy as sometimes it doesn't work out. This one would make a lot of sense even with big brother at Pitt.

David Habat is another guy that needs to end up at an Ohio college. He's a great all around competitor and has established himself as one of the best middlewts in the state. He looks to me like a 149-157 prospect and the Bucks certainly need to bulk up that area.

L. Stieber, Thomusseit and Habat would make a great recruiting class for the fall of 2010. Maybe throw in one of the lt wt prospects you guys are discussing for good measure.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

add Div I 152 state champ a junior Josh Demas , i think he is the best prospect down there since Tommy Rowlands and Ratliff came out in 1999, a long time ago, but C. Ohio doesnt produce alot in wrestling. (Not counting the much traveled Schlatters who started at Columbus DeSales.)

got to keep the top C. Ohio kids i think, and Demas long & quick & aggressive could be the heir to Sponseller. At any rate, i think Ohio st needs to keep him home.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

Agreed Bob. I see Demas at alot of Buckeye matches so hopefully he is on their radar. I think he grows into a college 174.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

I would not be surprised to see Demas at 174 collegiately. He is very tall and has the frame. If he retains his speed and style, he will be a handfull for anybody.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

Where is Lang heading?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"Where is Lang heading?"

Ohio U along with Jeremy Johnson.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

OU! I'd like to see a resurgence. The both of them, along with some of their other recruits of late, could make it happen.

If I'm Lang I'd have been thinking ACC but hey, you won't catch me complaining that he's staying in state!

Roe Fox added to this discussion on March 15, 2009

I have only seen one of Scales' matches so I don't profess to be an expert but as was discussed on another occassion re Gradner, 215s in HS do not necessarily translate well to 197s in college. I'm sure there are always exceptions but in HS it is a watered down weight where a really good athlete can do well but not translate that into college success.

189s to 197s seem to do better. Of course, I still hold out hope for Gardner.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

"OU! I'd like to see a resurgence."
-------------------------------

we all would, but let's see it and stop talking about it every year at this time.

as famed Texas football coach Darrel Royal said once, "Potential is what u aint done yet. "

re Demas, 165 or 174 i think Ohio st has to get him, not alot comes out of C Ohio in wrestling anymore, cant let him get away imo, the buckeyes need community support. Of course academics, character, determination to succeed weigh in too, and i don't know those factors.

Demas is entered in next seasons IRONMAN, December 11 & 12.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

Dema's lighting quick speed and strength are great tools for him on any level. He is so very fast on his feet and hard to handle. I think that going to Ironman next year will give him a great taste of the national level competition.

Ohio State needs to get him as he seems to be a perfect at 165 for right now. That would give him possibly a redshirt year behind Sponseller if Colt's still there.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

What is the Ironman tournament?

<dry>

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next