Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: 2007-2008 NFHS Wrestling Rule Changes
Deke Gunsolley added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

1-1-2 New
A random draw for championship final matches for an individual tournament, regular season and/or state high school championship series, may be used for competition.

3-1-1
The referee's uniform consists of a short-sleeve knit shirt, with alternating black-and-white 1-inch stripes, or gray with black pinstripes.

4-2-3
A clarification was made on communicable skin conditions or any other condition, in that the current written documentation from a physician needs to be on an approved form from either the NFHS or a state association.

4-2-5 New
Each contestant who has braces or has a special orthodontic device on his or her teeth, shall be required to wear a tooth and mouth protector.

5-20-6 New
Prior to assuming an offensive starting position, the offensive wrestler may signal to the referee the neutral position. The defensive wrestler is awarded an escape, and wrestling begins from the neutral position.

5-31-1
The head coach shall be penalized for unsportsmanlike conduct if wrestlers report to the scorer's table not in proper uniform, not properly groomed, not properly equipped or not ready to wrestle. Exception: The head coach shall not be penalized when a wrestler reports to the scorer's table with shoelaces that are not properly secured.

6-4-4
Any coach of the contestant or the contestant has the prerogative to default a match to the opponent at any time by informing the referee.

6-6-4a1, 6-6-5a1
Errors by the timekeeper, official scorer or referee must be corrected prior to the offended contestant leaving the mat area if additional wrestling is necessary. If additional wrestling is not necessary, the error may be corrected as long as the offended contestant or coach remains in the mat area.

8-2-1a-h
The exact procedure to follow when administering the second injury time-out during a match was added for clarification.

Coaches, Parents, & Wrestlers can purchase your own copy of the updated rules and case books from the NFHS at www.nfhs.org

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

5-20-6... Why?

5-31-1... Not sure if that's the way to go with that.

6-4-4... That's fine, but how is that different than before?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

5-20-6: Terrible idea. It's potentially humiliating to the bottom wrestler. Also, at least the optional start allows for the bottom wrestler to actually manuver to neutral--even if his opponent overs no resistance. Now, we're taking the act of manuvering to neutral--the manner in which an escape is scored--out of the equation.

Brent Rastetter added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

5-20-6, I don't think this is a bad idea and I think it's use will be limited. This is how I would see it most used, a wrestler is on top and is down by 1 point with limited time, say 10 seconds left in the match. They go out of bounds and prior to the restart he signals for the neutral position. He is now down by 2 but has the chance to tie it with 10 seconds, if he has to go optional by the time the bottom wrestler turns and squares and the point is awarded he is probably down to 5 seconds. Again, I don't see it coming in to play that much.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

So, why should we allow top wrestler the chance to save 2 seconds at the end of the match. Shouldn't the wrestler with the lead be able to shave more time off the clock? Isn't that part of strategy? Why make rule changes that punish the wrestler that scored more? This rule change is a classic example of over-legislation. It reminds me of when Ohio started to place the top 8 at state--thus watering down the state tournament.

Todd Vennis added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

What about a wrestler who want to use the optional start to work for a pin?

I know that from time to time 285 and 215 wrestlers will go optional in hopes of getting momentum for a breakdown

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

Todd,
From my understanding, the optional start will still be an option, but there will also be another option of starting neutral in exchange for one point.

Brian Davis added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Question? Are there referees that would actually show up to officiate in something else than the proper attire?

The other rule changes seem to make good sense.

The other interesting rule facing high school coaches this season are newer hydration tests...prior to scrimmages!

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 10, 2007

Brian,
That's interesting. Hydration tests conducted prior to scrimmages... Do you mean directly before a scrimmage or before the date teams are allowed to scrimmage?

Deke Gunsolley added to this discussion on October 10, 2007

I was informed this evening (by Ray Anthony at the rules interpretation meeting) that Ohio has not adopted the gray with black pinstripes uniform for officials.

And although it is not reqired... (but it should be)...

I would encourage all wrestlers, coaches, dads, moms, friends and relatives to get a copy of the new and updated rule books and case books.
There are alot of changes that folks need to be aware of.

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on October 11, 2007

I know it's not listed but I thought I heard something about changing the overtime rule back to what it used to be....I assume that is not the case and it's the same as last year?

► Add to the Discussion