Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA brackets
John Ice added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/NCAA/sports/m-wrestl/auto_pdf/Wres-D1-2009Bracket.pdf

Could have been worse in some cases.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

I'm thinking the 125 match should be interesting with Triggas and Robles. I've always wanted to see what Robles looked like wrestling with the college guys.

Jaggers getting a 3 seed is surprising. But, I'll take it. If Morrison beats Dobies, he could face Porter.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

I'm surprised Jaggers ended up with the 3rd seed due to his earlier losses. Evidently his strong Big Ten tourney plus two consecutive AA finishes come into play. Both he and Humphrey could be on a collision course with Iowa State in the quarters. Those matches--should they take place--could have a huge impact on where both squads finish...Sponseller appears likely to wrestle Trevor Stewart in the second round. That's a tough hombre...Morrison begins with Justin Dobies--a wrestler he competed against in high school--whom he defeated at the beginning of the season. Should he do it again, his next bout could be Jermail Porter, whom he all but beat in the dual with Kent. Of course, Porter might wrestle harder this time...Robles will eat up Triggas on his feet but could prove vulnerable on bottom. The Nikko I saw against Michigan and Illinois needs to be the guy that takes the mat first round. That Nikko wants to win bad....I've seen McSpadden wrestle a few times and he's a small 174. But what he lacks in size, he makes up in motivation. Rella can beat him but he has to brawl from the opening whistle. This match is a gunfight and the key will be to get off the first shot repeatedly....Pucillo's OT loss didn't really alter his draw. He's still in good position....Johnstone has a shot at winning his first match. I think he has a better draw than 10th seed, Scott Winston, who got stuck with Safratowich.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

I really like the Bucks draws.
125-Any points here will be good.
133-Should have tough semi with Kennedy. I think he sees someone other than Gomez in the final.
141-J gets his just props with the 3 seed. I think he repeats as champ.
149-Palmer seems to have a clear road to Metcalf in the semi. DO you belive in miracles
157-Johnstone has returning AA Moley then Saf or Winston. I could see him beating any of these guys. I don't see him beating any of the upper level (Burroughs, Poeta, Leen, Gillespie) guys. Any point here would be a bonus.
165-I really like Sponseller's draw and think he will make the finals. Lewnes is a tough match up for him but who knows who will come through the other side.
174-MCspadden is a beatable guy for Rella. Beyond that let's see. Call me crazy, but I think if Rella opens up he has the potential for low AA.
184-Should be payback time with Keddy in the semi and then taking care of business with JH in the finals.
285-Morrison already has a win over Dobies this year. Morrison actually should have bear Porter at the dual but got taken down with like 5 seconds left.

Scott: That glass in front of you appears a lot more than half full. Hope you're right.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

here are my picks in the AmWrNews contest (which i miraculously won last year, i don't expect a repeat, im sure i had some luck):

Top 3 teams: Ohio St U, Nebraska, Cornell -- i like the buckeyes draws overall, yes Palmer could have been away from Metcalf but cant have everything go your way. So i'm thinking the unthinkable, i'm allowed to be a homer once a year. Ohio St is my alma mater..

125 Nickerson to win it.
133 Reece Humphrey to win it. Hes got that big Greco throw always lurking.
141 Jaggers good chance to finals, got great seed-- the odds of anyone winning 2 NCAA titles in a row are long, but not impossible though.
149 Palmer top 3, upset over Metcalf in semis not impossible.
157 Poeta to win it.
165 i really like Sponsellers bracket, he can get to finals, but have to favor Lewnes if Spon get there.
174 Steve Luke to win it.
184 Pucillo in finals. Same as Jaggers, odds of anyone winning 2 in a row are long. Not impossible though.
197 Varner to win it.
285 Rosholt to win it.

as always, a break here and there, no attrocious ref calls, and good health are imperative.

Triggas needs to work on stopping Robles tilts. If he can stop from getting turned I think he has a chance. Robles is so much stronger than most 125's he can really score from the top position.

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

Who did Gregor Gillespie lose to this season?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

Just lost to Moley.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

I think Humphrey has as good a draw as one can ask for. Getting to the semis without a match that one would reasonably say is losable.

Despite the three seed, I think the draw for Jaggers is unkind. Nauman in the second round is a TOUGH TOUGH opponent. Then, a probable date with Gallick, a wrestler that he lost to early in the season.

Johnstone has the 7 seed first round, but as Hank said, it's better than it could be. Moley doesn't overwhelm me. I think that Safratovich clears this cluster - wins over Winston and imo Moley. Moley knocked Johnstone out of the tournament last year - if Johnstone doesn't win opening match, it could be a short tournament for him.

Sponseller got an unkind draw imo. Trevor Stewart is a TOUGH second round match. Round of 12 kid last year from Central. Morningstar is a favorable quarter though - if he gets past Stewart.

Same sentiments as Hank about Rella - winnable match if he shows up ready to go.

Pucillo's draw is no different from if he had beaten Keddy. Caputo isn't that bad for a quarter, I think he takes out the 6 Patterson, but it's one a wrestler of Pucillo wins 9.5 times out of 10.

On the Kent side, I think Kilgore got an incredibly unkind draw from the 5 seed. Vince Jones is VERY good for a 12. Kid has AA'd before at nationals and has super talent. Lashaway has a somewhat favorable cluster, as Hoehn is the weakest of the higher seeds if you ask me.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 16, 2009

Hank,
with a little luck Morrison could conceivably get to the semi's. He's beaten Dobies, should have beaten Porter, and if Fendone wins his 2 matches, it would be a rematch of the dual, which Morrison won. But with Corey, ya never know?? And although Stewart is good, I saw Gross of KSU beat him last year. I just hope everyone has 2 good rounds, and then hope our top 5 guys advance deep into their brackets. It seems like once you get to the quarters, anything can happen.

Josh: You and I agree on Sponseller. Stewart can be very good. No secret to Colt--when he wins on his feet, he wins the match. If he can't penetrate his opponent's D, he almost always loses. The only match where that pattern didn't hold was against Vallimont at Big Tens. He appears to have simply wrestled a bad match in that bout.

I understand your concerns about Jaggers draw but keep in mind that he's a "grown-up." He's been there/done that and beat better people on many occasions throughout his career. Jaggers has an ability to score from a variety of situations and it favors him in matchups against opponents that haven't wrestled him before. Naumann is tough but he's young and will play into Jags hands at some point in their match (should it come to that). Frankly, when it comes to Jaggers, his first round bout is always the big concern. If he gets off to a good start, he becomes better each round. As to Gallick, they wrestled in the All-Star meet at a point in the season when Jaggers was not nearly as sharp as he is now. If anything, that loss works to his advantage. Keep in mind, Jags followed up that loss with several hideous efforts. Clearly, he wasn't the wrestler he is now. The big question--is he back to being the wrestler he was a year ago? Josh, my point is that when it comes to Jaggers, the usual rules don't apply.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on March 17, 2009

I haven't kept up on Nauman, so I don't know much about him. I remember Jaggs facing Accordino from Hofstra not too long ago and had quite the time with him. I was thinking J's 2nd round is no gimmie, that's for sure. I think that could play well for him as he won't be able to coast into the qtrs (as if one really can at that level) and is more likely to be primed for a rematch against Gallick. Like Hank said, I think this is a different Jaggers than what wrestled at the all star match. Additionally, that match was decided by a funk move that didn't go J's way. Can't bank on those type of things if you are going to beat him again. If Jaggs can keep wrestling the way he has been the last month or so, I like him to get a rematch against Tanelli in the semi's. At that point, it's anyone's game. Same holds true if he advances to the finals. Anyone's game. I'm excited for him considering the adjustments he's made and how he's battled back from early season adversity. One thing you can say about him is there is no quit in him.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 17, 2009

Quote from Josh Lowe's post:

"
Pucillo's draw is no different from if he had beaten Keddy. "

I'm not so sure about that. I think if Pucillo beats Keddy, he gets the two seed, but Keddy might not have been the three. At 36-1 Kirk Smith would have likely been the three seed with Keddy dropping to four. Smith ened up #4 because with Keddy beating Pucillo at Big Tens he had to be #2 and with Smith's only loss being to Pucillo he had to be seeded below him. Anyway, I think that the upset at Big Tens ened up helping Pucillo's bracket. If I'm an Ohio State fan, I'd rather see Keddy in the semis then Smith. Had Smith been opposite Herbert, I would have had him going to the finals. He's wrestling very well right now.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next