Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Jordan Oliver commits to Oklahoma State
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

Jordan Oliver has commited this weekend to wrestle at Oklahoma State. I think his style fits in perfect there and he has the potential to start right away there. Ohio State had recruited him also.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

Interesting. The Bucks managed to land almost everyone they recruited the moment Tom Ryan signed on going back to Ryan Patrovich and extending to last year's Fab Five. This offseason has proved a bit dicier. Roddy, no. Jameson, yes. Magrum, yes. Oliver, no. Ben Jordan, no.

I think it's a poorly kept secret at this point that the Bucks have targeted Alex Meade. My guess is we'll soon learn his decision as well.

What I appreciate is that Ohio State wrestling wants to bring the best prospects to Columbus. Should the Bucks fail to get a committment from Meade, there are some fine Ohio prospects still available.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

The only thing good about Oliver going to OK State is that the Bucks wont have to see him in the big 10. By the way, what weight was he being recruited for?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

While any team would be very lucky to land a star like Jordan Oliver, I'm going to disagree with you, Brendan. There's a certain lightweight prospect from a school in southwest Ohio that I think would fill in the role Oliver would have taken. If the Bucks get him, I'll be saying, "Oliver who?"

<sign_oh>

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

Oliver was recruited for 133 he should redshirt behind another former PA stud in Coleman Scott.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Dan Cosimi: Amen but...

If tOSU is able to land who I think you are speaking of (a junior from a nationally-ranked team) what happens if he tops out at a weight of 122 - 126lbs? How does that help him in college? Don't get me wrong...the kid is one of my favorites. Any chance I get to watch him, I do. I'm just wondering if there is a gaurantee that he will exceed 130. The weight difference and muscle in college is a huge discrepency from that in high school.

Him weighing 92lbs. and wrestling 103 high school will be much different than him weighing 125 and wrestling 125 in college.

If there is one thing I am certain of, he'll make it happen. I am just curios to see what you might think of the situaiton.

...and any school would be foolish not to recruit him in hopes of bulking him up.

One name comes to mind in a situation like this...Zane Stickel.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Mark,
I see your point, but... His father is tall (definitely over 6') which leads me to believe that *cough* David *cough* just needs to wait for a growth spurt. Since he has two years of high school left, he's got more than enough time to bulk up 15 or so pounds. He's already tall for his weight and I know they have him on a strength program, so maybe when we see him this year, he'll be a filled out 112. We'll see.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

the coughing is classic! <thumbsup>

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Ohio St was very close to getting Jordan Oliver, nothing to be ashamed of---- look at every other school who wanted him, Cael Sanderson visited Oliver--- and it came down to a legendary program OKla st and the Buckeyes. i applaud the ambition to go after a super out of state kid.

Roddy also had it down to Northwestern and Ohio St.

Remember Jack Nicklaus while he won 18 majors, he was 2nd in 19 majors, no shame at all in being in the final pair when the stakes are highest.

9.9 is great equalizer, after all.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on October 10, 2007

Great post Bob. Even though OSU may not have gotten him, it shows the huge strides that Coach Ryan has made by being so close. In such a short time OSU has come a lot closer to other programs as far as recruiting is concerned (IOWA, IOWA ST., the other OSU, MINN, MICH), this pattern has me excited for years to come.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 10, 2007

Consider this:

The Bucks have committments from Cody Magrum and Tony Jameson. Alex Meade is also alleged to have verballed (pending confirmation from InterMat). Undoubtedly, the Bucks will land a few more studs, probably in-state, before this process is over.

Meanwhile, Jordan Oliver and Brian Roddy both had the Bucks as one of their final two. Ben Jordan, who chose Wisconsin, may have as well.

Of wrestlers in which Ohio State had an interest, only Jason Welch didn't pay a visit.

Even though the Bucks staff hasn't convinced everyone to come to Columbus, they've certainly changed the perception that this program is not one to take seriously.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 10, 2007

"Of wrestlers in which Ohio State had an interest, only Jason Welch didn't pay a visit. "

Hank,
and thats the key, to get them to visit---- if a kid, esp out of state kid , visits and sees all that Ohio St U and Columbus and the athletic dept have to offer then the buckeyes will probably be seriously in the hunt.

if they don't visit what can you do ? having said that and knowing Jason Welch and his Dad, i think Northwestern could NOT be beat no matter who else Welch visited, ---- once he saw all they had to offer a kid with his academic record & ambition, once he saw Chicago (but Not in the winter though), a Big Ten school too--- it was an easy sell once he visited Northwestern U.

i think it was exactly what Welch was looking for given the fact he pretty much had to come east and leave Calif-- Stanford is almost impossible to get into--- just not much Div I college in or near California.

► Add to the Discussion