Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Tourney Thread
Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"Yeah...with an injured hand, I don't think Mike can manage a major. If he's going to win, it's either a regular decision or a pin. I'm praying for a pin!"

Agree...pretty much all or none in this one.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

It's over. If we had just won some more matches in the wrestlebacks, this would have been a different story. Another runner-up for Ohio State, I don't know if we'll be able to match this next year, but at least we're serving notice that Ohio State is here to stay.

Last edited by Nicholas Sestito on March 21, 2009; edited 2 times in total

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

I thought Mike wrestled well, Herbert is just very, very good. The High-C in the 3rd was beautiful, just couldn't quite finish.

Great tournament for OSU.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

"It's over. If we had just won some more matches in the wrestlebacks, this would have been a different story. Another runner-up for Ohio State, I don't know if we'll be able to match this next year, but at least we're serving notice that Ohio State is here to stay."

tOSU loses J Jaggers and Jason Johnstone.

Iowa is losing Alex Tsirtis and Charlie Falck.

Iowa State is not losing anyone to graduation.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Ethan I agree, Mike just ran into someone with a great leg attack, and great defense. That 2nd TD really hurt, it gave Jake that cushion. Mike still has another year; I mean how many losses has he had in the last 2 years? Glad to see J take it all; almost went out with a cradle pin, but still a solid performance. What a way to end his career at Ohio State, a two-time NCAA Champion.. It was a pleasure watching him wrestle, very athletic and always entertaining. He will be missed.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Great Metcalf interview up already on Flo.

I wonder the same thing about Metcalf as I did last year... (in the safety of Ohiowrestling.net, and not TheMat) Does he have fun? I've never seen that dude smile, even after winning in the national finals last season.

When you watch interviews with Mike P, Jaggers, etc, they seem to have much more fun than the IA wrestlers.

Just an observation.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Just think, a football powerhouse, a soccer powerhouse, and now a Wrestling powerhouse...
Looks like I picked the right schoo!!! <sign_oh> <sign_io>

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Anthony, you should wrestle club. You could be the next Anner Arroyo.

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

I'll consider it. I'll most likely wrestle intramural if anything.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on March 21, 2009

Post finals observations:

This was a disastrous finals as far as attracting fans to the sport. For someone who is not well acquainted with the sport there was very little to get excited about. There wasn't a single throw or pin or a back and forth match.

125- Boring. No offensive points, and locking hands loses the match. That would be like watching a hockey game and the only score was because of an icing penalty.

133- Reece, Reece, Reece... where was your offense? He didn't take a single scoring attempt until 15 seconds to go in the match. I felt bad for the announcers who said "watch out, Humphrey can throw", and then he didn't even threaten to throw the entire match. I guess I had a bad feeling after watching his semifinal match where he rode Ness for the win, and didn't show any real offense. It looked like he was tentative and that usually means you are getting nervous. He'll learn from this for next year and not wait for a victory to come to him. He has to take it. Also, he will be able to compete at his natural weight of 141 which should be a very winnable weight class. Franklin Gomez was very gracious in victory.

141- Jaggers was sweet and I almost thought he was going to get the cradle. He was aggressive and always trying to score and trying to pin. It was really nice to see him enjoy the victory. So many of the other champions were crying it was nice to see a happy wrestler. Jaggers has cemented himself as one of tOSU's best and one of the best interviews in the sport.

149- Awesome. What a great match. I think everyone was rooting for Caldwell. Caldwell did exactly what Palmer said he was going to do against Brent. He attacked Metcalf and didn't let up on the pressure. It's so cool that Metcalf has a kryptonite. It makes for a great rivalry. I think people root against him because he doesn't seem to enjoy the sport. Maybe he should play volleyball or some other fun sport. Just kidding. I was surprised that he didn't come back and score some takedowns to make it close. Also, I think that Iowa and NCState should have had a point deducted. Caldwell showed no class by running away from Metcalf and starting his somersault with time still on the clock.

157- Two fantastic wrestlers at the toughest weight in the country. It was too bad someone had to lose. I was rooting for the senior Poeta, but he wrestled conservatively which was surprising. Before the season, I really thought Mike might return to 165 which was a much, much weaker weight class. I think he wanted revenge against Leen, which he did get, but I think a championship would have felt better.

165- Boring match made great by showing coach Davis of Wisconsin and hearing his comments while the action was going on. He was so into the match that it made for compelling television. I remember in high school King had a rivalry with Steve Luke. I think Luke beat King in the finals of the Senior National tournament in Cleveland. Now they are both champs.

174- Always nice to see an all Ohio final. Too bad they both had to wrestle for Michigan schools. It was funny trying to make it seem like they had a long rivalry when they hadn't wrestled each other in 15 years. I really liked the progress that Steve made this year by attacking the whole match and not just getting a takedown and just shutting it down. Did anyone notice that Miller is a 23 year-old sophomore? If he can win a championship before he done Mike might become the oldest champion in NCAA history.

184- Mikey lost to the superior wrestler. It was surprising to see Mike not take a single shot until the third period. It's like he didn't even watch Humphrey's match. Hopefully, he will be healthy and aggressive next year and become a two time champ.

197- Boy do I hate watching Paint wrestle, I mean Varner dry, I mean Varner wrestle. Another match with no takedowns. Bad for the sport. Hopefully, Brester can exact some revenge next season, in a match that involves some offensive points.

285- I was really rooting for the Duke kid. It was too bad that he lost to a guy who played defense, but the home crowd really liked it. There were some surprisingly good scrambles for a heavyweight match. Unfortunately, there were no offensive points in regulation.

Trivia:

-Not one wrestler had a come from behind victory after being taken down.

-The ten losers in the finals score two total takedowns, and both were in the final 20 seconds when the match was over. (Humphrey and Metcalf)

-Jaggers scored the only backpoints in the whole finals.

-125, 165, and Heavy ended regulation with no offensive points scored.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

I actually thought these were pretty exciting finals.

133- Gomez wrestled a perfect match plan. He forced the levels to be lowered, which worked in his favor as Humphrey is taller and works very well in upper body ties. Gomez is incredibly quick.

141- Jaggers was super impressive.

149- no more to be said.

157- Burroughs very impressed with how quick and explosvie he is.

174- Luke's stance is terrific, very precise in executing leg attack.

184- Herbert is just that darn good! There's a reason he has two national titles, three finals appearances, 4x AA - and probably picking up the Hodge Trophy to go with it.

285- Though there was inaction in the first six minutes, the last 3 minutes had more action than you'll see in many a 285 match.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

Quote from Christopher Henderson's post:

"184- Mikey lost to the superior wrestler. It was surprising to see Mike not take a single shot until the third period. It's like he didn't even watch Humphrey's match. Hopefully, he will be healthy and aggressive next year and become a two time champ."

I was listening to Tom Ryan and he said that Mike nearly lost two fingers the week before and it took quite some work to get Mike to where he was. I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure it killed some of his aggressiveness, similar to Palmer in the Metcalf match.

Patrick Campbell added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

"Post finals observations:

This was a disastrous finals as far as attracting fans to the sport. For someone who is not well acquainted with the sport there was very little to get excited about. There wasn't a single throw or pin or a back and forth match. "

I thought this was pretty typical of NCAA DI finals. I'm not sure DI wrestling at this level will ever be too exciting to anyone not acquainted with wrestling. It's exciting to those of us who have lived it because we know how difficult it is to win a 2-1 decision. We understand how difficult it is to set up takedowns and simultaneously defend against takedowns against a top level competitor (etc., etc., etc.).

There is not a lot of sensationalism that would be attractive to those who have no desire to understand the sport. That's why MMA and UFC etc. are so popular. There is lots of action that any kid who was ever in a fight can relate to.

Our sport is great! The things we find exciting in the sport will not likely ever reach the popularity of football or basketball, but really...that's ok. Wrestling continues to grow and become better. We may not have the publicity or the crowds of other sports, but the competition is better than ever.

And one last thing...for all of those folks out there that don't consider Ohio HS DIII 4 time state champs quite as legit as DII and DI 4 timers...take that up with Jags! I'm not telling him he is not has good as any DI 4 time state champ. It's been a treat to get to see him wrestle all of these years. I hope he considers continuing his career a little longer. He certainly has the drive to be successful on the world stage if he desires to do so.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

One comment on the Humphrey match, Hump seemed too conservative on his feet, didn't really attack until it was too late in the match. I can understand the strategy of not wanting to make a mistake, but his best defense has always been his offense. The problem is he's wrestled Gomez so many times, Franklin knows not to go upper body with him. I hope he goes up to 141 where he can wrestle different kids. It's becoming akin to Pucillo and Todd, they had met so many times it was boring. Same goes now for Pucillo & Keddy. What used to be wide open matches become 1-point affairs. BTW the ASICS University & FILA Cadet National Championships are coming to Akron again in late April. I hope Hump participates like he did last year. He is really explosive in FS.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

"

"184- Mikey lost to the superior wrestler. It was surprising to see Mike not take a single shot until the third period. It's like he didn't even watch Humphrey's match. Hopefully, he will be healthy and aggressive next year and become a two time champ."

I was listening to Tom Ryan and he said that Mike nearly lost two fingers the week before and it took quite some work to get Mike to where he was. I have no idea what happened, but I'm sure it killed some of his aggressiveness, similar to Palmer in the Metcalf match."

Chew on this- Herbert lost one match over the last three years of his college career- the final to Askren. He is great.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15  Next