Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next

Discussion Topic: NCAA Tourney Thread
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

And I'm not denying that Herbert is a phenominal wrestler, but I was definately expecting him to try to dominate Mike, just didn't happen point wise. I mean, he destroyed just about everyone else.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Bob, you REALLY should know this. Dustin Schlatter! "

oh yeh Dustin, someone mentioned Teyon Ware too. Old age dulls the memory I guess. Its quite a rarity for a true freshman to win it.--- Of course going back to the early 70s, Pat Milkovich won it and is still the youngest NCAA champ ever, 18 years and a few months.

an all Stark County final at 174, Steve Luke vs Mike Miller . Mike Miller wow, 3 very very very unexpected finalists, him and the Duke 285 Dudzinski and Jarrod King at 165.

how many recall King had Steve Lukes number in high school, beat him 3 times in the Beast, then Luke finally turned the tables in NHSCA senior finals when Luke got coin toss in OT and escaped. King went to Oklahoma then trf back home to Edinboro, a Connelsville PA boy Jarrod King.

maybe Ohio st is destined to continue their recent string of SECONDS: twice runnerup in BCS football title game in recent years, NCAA runnerup in basketball 3 years ago, 2nd in wrestling one year ago-- now maybe again ??

Really PROUD of KENT St, obviously a new era there, 2 AAs and a top 20 finish. "

Bob, I love your occasional references to the Milkoviches. <smile>

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"Just think, a football powerhouse, a soccer powerhouse, and now a Wrestling powerhouse...
Looks like I picked the right schoo!!! <sign_oh> <sign_io>"

It takes more than what they have done to be a soccer "powerhouse".

Now, if only academics were in there. <smile>

Anthony Windsor II added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

I mean, we're no Harvard, but we are in the top 20 for public schools, so i guess we're pretty good on that.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on March 23, 2009

Quote from Anthony Windsor II's post:

"I mean, we're no Harvard, but we are in the top 20 for public schools, so I guess we're pretty good on that."

Perhaps, but just no "powerhouse".

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 23, 2009

its hard to get admitted to Ohio St U main campus nowadays, ask any parent whose son or daughter has tried recently. Good students are often turned away. In the last decade OSU has really tightened up, for such a huge university.

"its hard to get admitted to Ohio St U main campus nowadays, ask any parent whose son or daughter has tried recently. Good students are often turned away. In the last decade OSU has really tightened up, for such a huge university."

Yes they have, but to say they are a powerhouse because they no longer accept anyone with a pulse and a bankbook is going a bit too far.

"to say they are a powerhouse because they no longer accept anyone with a pulse and a bankbook is going a bit too far."

GS,
pardon me, but i didnt use the phrase powerhouse --- your negative remark doesnt reflect the fact that it is tough to get admitted to Ohio St main campus nowadays, ive talked to many parents. And since it is a huge university, i think thats an accomplishment regardless of your sarcasm.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 23, 2009

Josh Lowe:

I read your observations on the finals and concur. I think you nailed them all, esp. about Gomez having a great strategy against Humphrey.

""to say they are a powerhouse because they no longer accept anyone with a pulse and a bankbook is going a bit too far."

GS,
pardon me, but I didnt use the phrase powerhouse --- your negative remark doesnt reflect the fact that it is tough to get admitted to Ohio St main campus nowadays, ive talked to many parents. And since it is a huge university, I think thats an accomplishment regardless of your sarcasm."

Bob, the truth is those were about the only criteria in my day to get accepted into an Ohio public school. Well those and you did have to have a high school diploma (I think).

And no you didn't use that word, but you did jump into a thread where "powerhouse" was being discussed.

I am not sure what it being a huge school has to do with this. If anything its size works against the argument that it is highly selective, unless you believe that all 50,000 or so students are the cream of the crop, in which case mathematically doesn't make sense. Small groups tend to be more selective than large ones, hence the reason they are small.

" I am not sure what it being a huge school has to do with this. If anything its size works against the argument that it is highly selective, unless you believe that all 50,000 or so students are the cream of the crop , in which case mathematically doesn't make sense. Small groups tend to be more selective than large ones, hence the reason they are small."
----------------------------------

thats exactly my point Gary, the fact the average ACT score at Ohio st U for incoming freshman is over 26 vs national average of 21, that means the job of Ohio st U being selective is much much harder-- thats my point, and hats off to them for acheiving that with a huge group of students.

what the situation was decades ago is no longer relevant thus i don't think sarcasm is appropriate. In fact its insulting to todays buckeye students.

"" I am not sure what it being a huge school has to do with this. If anything its size works against the argument that it is highly selective, unless you believe that all 50,000 or so students are the cream of the crop , in which case mathematically doesn't make sense. Small groups tend to be more selective than large ones, hence the reason they are small."
----------------------------------

thats exactly my point Gary, the fact the average ACT score at Ohio st U for incoming freshman is over 26 vs national average of 21, that means the job of Ohio st U being selective is much much harder-- thats my point, and hats off to them for acheiving that with a huge group of students.

what the situation was decades ago is no longer relevant thus I don't think sarcasm is appropriate. In fact its insulting to todays buckeye students. "

Nothing was meant as sarcasm.
Football powerhouse? Sure.
Wrestling powerhouse? Certainly becoming one.
Soccer powerhouse? Premature, at best.
Academic powerhouse? No. Improved? If you say so. None of my children had any interest in attending so I never looked into their current situation. And few if any of the upper level students who were friends of mine did either. But I know in a school that large there are good students, just as in a number that large I have to believe there are those at the other end. That is typically the situation at any larger public school, college or high school.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 23, 2009

Gents: The quality of the students do not make a university an 'academic powerhouse'. Academics and teaching do.

'Powerhouse' is a matter of perception anyway, and WIDE open to interpretation. Interstingly, there was an article I read recently that compared/contrasted the average tuition cost vs. initial grads job salaries, from a value perspective. Using their criteria, OSU actually out-ranked a large number of expensive, supposedly academic 'powerhouse' schools, because the cost invested did not translate into significantly higher new job salaries.

Education, and what is done with the opportunity, is up to the student, no matter where he/she goes to college.

My $.02

cease GaryS, i certainly have Not used the word "powerhouse", so WHY r u still bringing it up and trying to associate it with me ?

u say nothing was meant as sarcasm?? is this phrase you used sarcasm, i think it is: You posted, "to say they are a powerhouse because they no longer accept anyone with a pulse and a bankbook is going a bit too far." Thats not sarcasm ???

" cease GaryS, I certainly have Not used the word "powerhouse", so WHY r u still bringing it up and trying to associate it with me ?

u say nothing was meant as sarcasm?? is this phrase you used sarcasm, I think it is: You posted, "to say they are a powerhouse because they no longer accept anyone with a pulse and a bankbook is going a bit too far." Thats not sarcasm ???"

It was not intended to be sarcasm. For a long time those, and as I corrected a high school diploma, were about all it took to get "accepted" into most Ohio public universities. Is it different now? Sounds that way. Does finally having real admissions standards make it a powerhouse? No, but it is certainly a step in the right direction.

I realize you never said "powerhouse", but you stepped into a thread where that was being discussed to defend the academics at OSU (sorry, but the "t" is just silly).

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 13, 14, 15  Next