Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Anthony Robles
Jack Muni added to this discussion on March 20, 2009

I want to mention something before the semi's begin. I got to watch the 125 ASU kid with one leg vs. Precin today, and I was utterly dumbfounded. He has the strength of a 149 lber, and does some amazing tilts. He does seem vulnerable in the down position, but he is amazing to watch.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 20, 2009

He certainly is a tough one and he's still got two years to get to the championship again.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 22, 2009

I in no way mean for this to sound wrong, but I wonder why nobody has made this kid a singlet with one leg.

He is tremendous, in every way. He beats Triggas, Falck, and Precin back to back to back, then beats Sanders in the consis. That is a great run.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on March 23, 2009

I had the pleasure of spending a lot of time with Anthony and his family when he was a high schooler and won the HS Nationals.

I will summarize by saying that this kid is so unique.... not just physically, but as a competitor ... his mind is second to none.

He truly does not believe that he has a disability. That is different from thinking that you have one, but that you still can do everything as well as someone who doesn't. He honestly believes he was born like he is for a reason and doesn't achknowledge any kind of disadvantage.

Athletically, he is enormously powerful in his upper body makes his wrist-control series on top - deadly. His fast-twitch muscle fibers make him explosive and hard to stop on his feet with his low singles.

Watching him warm-up is a scary thing for a lot of 125 pounders because in a sweatshirt .... he looks like he is a 149/157 pounder... like they are about to lock up with Jordan Burroughs.

The most interesting thing about Anthony is the way he indicated that he gew up. Essentially, he said that his parents... from DAY ONE... always treated him just like a normal kid. At first he tried to wear a fake leg... but he said it felt and looked weird, so he decided to use crutches and hop around.

He had chores aropund the house. He used to cut the grass with a push mower (hopping along to push it) and take out the garbage, etc.. to contribute to the family.

He went out for football and got absolutely crushed out there.

For me, the lesson in this is that we should be careful that we do not try to protect our kids from defeat and disappointment and not baby them from challenges - academically, physically, etc. Kids will step up if they know they are being asked to.

If that would have been my little son with one leg - I know I would have a hard time watching him get brutalized in football!

Congrats Anthony

► Add to the Discussion