Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State Buckeye Preview
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

Great preview from BigElevenWrestling.Net. Here is the link: http://www.bigelevenwrestling.net/articles/osu_preview_07.htm

I think the only spot I have concern about is the 197 with Bergman moving to heavy and the possibility of having to start Weakley who could really use a redshirt and adapt to college. I would hate to see him have to start when he could just use the chance to redshirt and adjust to a very tough weight in the Big Ten and in the NCAA.

Triggas should have a productive year and should only get better as the year goes on especially with his drill partners and more importantly have Rosselli coaching him. The battle at 157 will be interesting to see who will win the starting spot. I have high hopes with Sponseller at 165 and his high octane tank.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

Sweet article. Thanks for the mention.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 7, 2007

Dan:

While Zach Weinrich was mentioned at 285, I have to think the plan is for him to be the starter at 197. Weakley needs to redshirt and he's more of a 184 IMO. Weinrich can be a serviceable starter. I can't imagine the Bucks would have moved up Bergman without feeling confident that Weinrich could man the weight class. I also think that Corey Morrison could suck down to 197 if he had to. I doubt he wants to. And he deserves a redshirt.

I see this year's Bucks squad as generally similar to last years. A true frosh starter at 125; Enright at 133; Jaggers at 141; Palmer at 149. Johnstone at 157; Sponseller replaces Vondruska which might be a slight downgrade...or upgrade. Picazo will help 174 if he can make the weight and wrestle well at it. Pucillo is your most consistent performer at 184. Bergman vacates 197 which weakens this spot but he moves up and strengthens 285. As I see it, 174 should be strengthened and Triggas might prove a bit better than Livingston (although Livingston did fine last year and was a huge upgrade over years of subpar 125's). Otherwise, the lineup could be much the same.

Ohio State's studs should be a bit more consistent this year. And a healthy Jaggers ought to perform much better. Still, we have some holes when matched up with Iowa, Penn State and Minny. Wisc. will be very tough as well. Just random thoughts....And certainly I'm looking forward to Sponseller.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

I agree. I think that you'll see Weinrich drop down to fill the 197 role which will work out nicely. Zack has some amazing strength and is just as agile. While Weakly is a strong competitor the adjustment to college wrestling is greater than many people think. A redshirt year for John will be really benifitial to his growth.

The only other questionable matchup will be if Johnstone can keep his cool again Nemec. Jason is a tremendous scrmbler but Nemec wrestles so solid that scrambles may not happen as often. I think this could be a great wrestle-off as Sean recovers from his off-season surgeries.

The matchup at 133 should also be a great one. Either guy who makes it will contend for an AA status. I think this one will go back and fourth all year.

It's trully amazing at home much depth they have since last year. I'm excited to see what these guys can do as from my eyes the skies the limit. I hope the rest of the country realizes what they'll be in for this year!

<sign_oh> <sign_io>

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

DJV:
Can Reece Humphrey make 133? I've gotta believe that's a wicked cut for him.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

I actually played some backyard football with both of them last weekend at Rosselli's house. Reese does look bigger than T.J., but some of that is because he's taller. From what I see they both have some weight to cut. I would be willing to bet they are probably about the same amount over. It's hard to say what that exactly is but they've both been around this sport long enough that they know how to cut it.

Touch or tackle? <shifty>

DJV:
Since you've been kind enough to post, I'd love to hear your thoughts on some of the guys against whom you've competed.

Who are the best guys you've faced? What made them so tough?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 8, 2007

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Touch or tackle? <shifty>"

Oh no... I see something brewing in the mind of a guy from "that school up north"... haha.

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Touch or tackle? <shifty>"

Oh no... I see something brewing in the mind of a guy from "that school up north"... haha."

Hahaha

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Hank,

I've wrestled against some tough competitors since my youth.

From an early age I'd have to say that Mark Moos was probably one of the toughest all around guys that I had to wrestle. I'd say from the age of 6 or so he'd always been in the hunt for national recognition. Although I consindered us arch-rivals, as we may have wrestled somewhere around 50 times with only one win in my column, I always looked forward to a good match with him. With Mark's great speed and pure will to win I felt a little disapointed with his college career. Hopefully he's doing well.

From an overall perspective I'd say Harry Lester and Chris Fleeger were probably some of the fiercest guys I've competed against. With both of these guys you never knew what to expect. Fleeger was so solid in his technique and Harry had so much funk he was never a second away from scoring. I was unfortunate enough to draw Isreal Martinez and Chris Fleeger my first and second match my Junior year at Fargo. Fleeger made quick work of me with a tech 10-0, only to go on to win the title. My experience against Harry was much of the same but from a personal perspective he is one great guy. A class act in every aspect. I really wish we would have been able to see what Harry could have done in the college arena, but I can't wait to see him win the gold in Beijing!

Now that I'm thinking a little more I had some good battles with Ryan Lang as well. I actually faired pretty well against him surprisingly. For some reason in my youth my funk was able to frustrate Ryan. I think he may have the career edge on me 4 wins to 2, but those all came before he came to Ed's. I think for him things really started to click around his sophomore year of high school. He really started to realize that the competition was catching him and that he needed to put even more work to stay on top. That obviously paid off for him with a fantastic high school career and in my opinion an even better college career.

I'm sure I could muster up a lot more guys but these ones really come to mind.

Last edited by DJ Vondruska on October 9, 2007; edited 1 time in total

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Maybe it's not the best situation for Reese or T.J., but for the Buckeyes it is great to have a "backup situation" should the need arise. We all know about injuries and how devistating they can be for a team with no depth; I would feel good about either one at 133, and if Jaggers has any more injury problems, either one could fill in at 141. Or is there a chance Ryan will platoon Reese & T.J. depending on the opponent?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Word on the street is that Alex Meade has signed with the Buckeyes. Alex Meade is out of Ceaser Rodney High School in Delaware, usually ranked in the top 5 in the nation. He'll end up around the 149/157/165 spot.

With this addition (not that it means it at all but) I can see Sponseeler at 174 over the next three years. SCHWEEEEEET!!!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2007

Mark--I've heard the same as well. But I've been waiting for confirmation from InterMat.

► Add to the Discussion