Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Actions after winning a national title
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Interesting topic.

Here's what I'd say about Sesker's column. I'm glad to see any editorial writing in wrestling. Too often no one outside of forum writers offer opinions on topics of the day in our sport. As an example, I thought Daniel Cormier's weight cutting fiasco at the olympics deserved scrutiny (he made weight but had to be hospitalized afterwards as a result of how he did it and was unable to wrestle).

The problem with Sesker is he's reacting to the criticism of forum writers. People on themat.com and other forums usually have an agenda. There are always wars of words between fans of competing programs and Metcalf losing and then reacting to Caldwell gave an excuse for many to rip Iowa fans. Most of the people criticizing Metcalf are just doing it because of their rivalry with Iowa fans.

Steve points out correctly that suddenly Sesker is writing an editorial when one of their rising stars is getting ripped. I think Sesker's column is a good one but I'd like to see a lot more of this sort of writing. To only write an editorial about this one incident invites it's own scrutiny. And, yes, Metcalf's comments about Palmer were absurd.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

where can I find the metcalf interview after he wrestled Palmer?

Steve Lester added to this discussion on April 10, 2009

My understanding is that the NCAA itself has issued a "reprimand" to Brent Metcalf for his actions at the close of the Caldwell match.

I'm not sure what the consequences of that action are (for Metcalf), if any, but it comes as no surprise to me. One could easily envision the end of the 149 bout becoming a topic among NCAA official observers, a topic that moved behind closed doors in high places. I welcome that action.

However, others, speculating on motivation and timing, are condemning the NCAA for that move.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3