Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Is Pucillo...
Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on March 27, 2009

Quote from Bill Splete's post:

"I like the word blossom that you used, I should send you the video of Kevin and I in the finals his senior year and my junior year, and you can tell me what you think,(who won, and the calls) because he is not the same guy less than 2 years later at OSU, he grew but not in height. He was a three time finalist and a 2x champ and probably would have been a 3x. I'd like to say I hated him, but if you know Kevin and his background, you always are pulling for him on and off the mat, He was always very cool to me and I have respected him since. He gets my vote!"

Bill...I was there that night and have that match on tape. A lot of people claim that the refs cost them a bout, but you are one of the few people who can say it and be honest. You got hosed. For those who don't know, the match was an 11-10 thriller where Randleman was given a takedown on the edge (back when the line was out) and then very late (the final seconds) in the match Splete got a takedown that was simply not awarded. I agree he blossomed in college, but Splete was the better wrestler that day (and the rest of their high school careers).

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Casey Talbott added to this discussion on March 28, 2009

tough to argue with pat milkovich, in that he was a four time NCAA finalist (and two time champ), and without a redshirt year, toboot.
and an interesting side note - he may not have won even one high school title had ohio not split from one division into two (AAA and A-AA) his senior year.
to my recall, huron's drew gundlach won the A-AA title that year, in pat's weight class, and a lot of folks believed that gundlach was the better of the two, at least at that level.
gundlach had been third as a soph and then first as a junior, beating pat's teammate rick cornell (sp?) in the final, when it was all one division. gundlach then won A-AA in convincing fashion as a senior, after the split, with a quarter or semi final pin over al (?) digiovani of kenston (later the coach at solon) who, to my recall, came into the match at something like 26-0, with 24 pins; more notably, earlier that year gundlach and pat battled to a draw in a dual meet, 2 to 2 i believe, with pat slowing down the match, as pat was quite adept at doing.

John Robert Dula added to this discussion on March 28, 2009

Your interesting side note could be correct. We couldl never know who would have won any match on any certain day. Wrestler often meet each other multiple times in a single season with different outcomes. Just because a wrestler beats another wrestler does not mean he will beat him every time and beat everybody that wrestler beat. There are State Champs that were not District Champs. Who is better? I would say the State Champ has bragging rights even though they may have split the two matches they wrestled each other.

FYI :Tony D. coached at Solon. (Al's older brother)

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3