Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Buckeye 2009/2010 Lineup
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 29, 2009

LanceP would have better chance at a title if he redshirted, in 2 years Metcalf & Schlatter & Caldwell too will be gone . Options here depend on how Jameson/Kusar look..

Rella again at 174 or 165 ?? well Dave didnt have a real good year at 174, and went 1 & 2 at NCAAs losing to two guys McSpadden & Lee from Boise st by 3-0 and 8-2 -- the year before he was 2 & 2 at NCAAs at 165. So i would think exploring all options is going to occur, cut to 165 possible.

Magrum i think will be their 197.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Can Rella make 65?

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Schlatter at 149? No way.

I'm hoping for a Schlatter v. Sponseller final at 165.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

That would definitely create a tough 165 lbs. grouping in the Big 10. Sponseller, Schlatter, Howe, Morningstar.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

2009-2010 Buckeye Lineup

125 pounds
The favorite for this spot is redshirt sophomore Bo Touris. He has now had two years in the room and has grown into the weight class. I've heard that Triggas and Harrington can't make 125 anymore. Maybe we'll have a freshman come in and take over the spot here, but right now it doesn't look like it.

133 pounds
One thing seems certain to me: Reece Humphrey is way too big to make 133 again. The international weight rules are more lax, so he'll probably be able to go 132 but we've seen many guys go down for FS/GR competition. It's a dogfight for the spot here. We could see two-time national qualifier Nikko Triggas here, up from 125, but he still has a redshirt left to burn. We could see redshirt sophomore Pat Harrington here. He hasn't broken into the Buckeyes' lineup yet but he was very good in high school and word from the room is he is doing well. We could also see a freshman here, such as three-time New York state champion Ian Paddock or three-time Ohio state placer Jake Vaughan.

141 pounds
Redshirt senior Reece Humphrey, a returning national finalist and three-time qualifier, will start here.

149 pounds
I think there are four options here: three-time All-American Lance Palmer, true freshman Collin Palmer (giving Lance a chance to redshirt and then compete without Metcalf and Caldwell in his way), or one of two very tough redshirt freshmen, Tony Jameson and Jared Kusar.

157 pounds
Redshirt sophomore Sean Nemec will start here.

165 pounds
I can't see junior Colt Sponseller (a returning national qualifier who was upset in the round to be an All-American) not starting here, but in some ways it makes sense. He has a redshirt to burn. We could see Rella move back down here but I wouldn't expect it.

174 pounds
Two-time national qualifier Dave Rella is very likely the starter here. Some say there's a chance he'll move back down to 165 but I don't know if that would be in his best interest.

184 pounds
Redshirt senior Mike Pucillo, a national champion and three-time All-American, will start here.

197 pounds
Redshirt senior Jason Cook started here this past year and it appears that he and redshirt freshman C.J. Magrum are co-favorites to take this spot for the upcoming season. Magrum spent some time down at 174 (cutting a lot of weight) but he has the frame to fill out to 197. Cook is already filled out.

285 pounds
Redshirt senior Corey Morrison qualified for the national tournament this past year and is the favorite to start again, however some say he will graduate and move on from the sport. Redshirt sophomore Cody Gardner will be an interesting addition to this weight class. He'll be a small heavyweight we know from his high school results that he has a ton of athleticism and skill. The question with him is how well he can focus to translate that into college success. Another option here would be redshirt freshman John Hiles.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Dan,
so u think Schlatter jumps 2 wts to 165 ?? well regardless, Lance redshirting would get him a year away from Caldwell & Metcalf.

Dustins wt i don't know, i don't have any recent info on Dustin, i havent been following him.

theres gonna be some surprises here i think, as to who redshirts, and who challenges for what wt classes.

Remember to get a Redshirt year Ryan has to believe it will HELP the kid and that the kid DESERVES the HELP--- that the kid will use it to improve, not goof off. Its a privalege to Redshirt . Its an xtra year of giving a wrestler $$$, there is a cost of valuable resources. So factor that in.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

The most obvious redshirt selection would be Sponseller. No one works harder but he has to improve his all-around game. In many ways, his career so far has been analagous to Humphrey. He'll only have two years of competition left and I'm sure that the staff believes he could win it both times with improvement.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Agree Sponseller, good point.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2