Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Head position and countering the quarter-nelson
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

One of my wrestlers, a freshman, was constantly getting caught with his head down on shots and being put in a quarter-nelson. Obviously I told him to keep his head up on his shots, but he still had the problem. So how does one counter a quarter-nelson and what advice do you have for my kid to help keep his head from being smashed into the mat?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

If the 1/4 around the the right arm rotate your back end counter clock wise twards the opponents body, as you do this pick you head up, this will releave the pressure then limp arm through.

Opposite for the opposite side.

Best way to stop a 1/4 is to shoot a high C or double (head on the out side)

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Quote from Mark Palumbo's post:

"If the 1/4 around the the right arm rotate your back end counter clock wise twards the opponents body, as you do this pick you head up, this will releave the pressure then limp arm through.

Opposite for the opposite side.

Best way to stop a 1/4 is to shoot a high C or double (head on the out side)"

I agree, but would like to add some others as well. Use a snatch single, ducks and ankle/knee picks. If he can't develop the correct form for the single, work with him on different TDs where he won't be caught in the situation.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

Dan,

Is your wrestler hitting a single leg or getting caught under the hips shooting a high crotch?

I have always found on the single leg to circle behind turning back hip down to put pressure on the defensive wrestler's hips and plus he has no power to run the 1/4 nelson when he is hip to hip with the offensive wrestler.

Also, to run a 1/4 nelson the defensive wrestler needs space. the offensive wrestler should put his head on the inside of the hip when on the mat and then drive straight up to his feet.

btw, will you be at that camp again this year? I will be back up this year with some other guys on the Gannon squad.

► Add to the Discussion