Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: College coaching shakeups
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

surprise head coach Mark Johnson resigns at U of illinois, does it open the door for Jim Heffernan ?

with Sunderland resigning at Penn st could shake things up a bit. AND is their another shoe or 2 still to drop ?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

Wow, Mark Johnson retiring takes me by surprise and it would be interesting to see Jim Heffernan would run the program if he gets the job.

Penn State getting a new coach would be the most troublesome to me. Penn State gets great talent, but for some reason nothing has panned out for them. I was hoping Ohio State would be able to grab some Pennsylvania recruits and pay PSU back for getting some top Ohio recruits. But Lehigh is rising and if Penn State gets a solid head coach that hope of mine could die.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on March 30, 2009

This is a huge hire for PSU, with the rising in-state junior class, the right guy could make an almost instant impact and take them back to the top in the B10 and NCAA.

For all the talk of Terry Brands, I just don't see it - too much of a high wire act for stately State College.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"Wow, Mark Johnson retiring takes me by surprise and it would be interesting to see Jim Heffernan would run the program if he gets the job.

Penn State getting a new coach would be the most troublesome to me. Penn State gets great talent, but for some reason nothing has panned out for them. I was hoping Ohio State would be able to grab some Pennsylvania recruits and pay PSU back for getting some top Ohio recruits. But Lehigh is rising and if Penn State gets a solid head coach that hope of mine could die."

Also, Edinboro had a top 10 finish that could garner the attention of in-state talent, which makes it that much harder. Not being familiar with what cooach is hot, I can't offer names or much insight. However, I would think that they want to make a splash with a big name to take the program in a new direction.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Maybe this brings Sam White back to Ohio.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Did I miss something? Who did PSU hire? They would be smart to get their hands on Kerry McCoy.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

You didn't miss anything. Penn State hasn't hired anyone yet.

It would be AWESOME if Sam White were starting for the scarlet and grey this upcoming season at 125 pounds...

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

In PA they're talking Hughes.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

That's what I've heard, lots of internet chatter about getting Kerry McCoy. Obvious reasons: He was a phenomenal wrestler, he worked for some time as an assistant coaching All-Americans, then he took on the job at Stanford and now Maryland where he's done a pretty good job at turning the programs around. That makes him dangerous if he were to go to PSU.

As for Sam White, it'd be awesome if he changed his mind at decided to come to Ohio State. It seems like this year, we just didn't get all the guys we wanted and to bring him back into the fold would help. But I don't know if he'd see a day at 125, which is a weight I'd like to see us get another wrestler to man the line.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

I hope Jim Heffernan gets the Illinois job. He's been a quality asst for many years and I'd enjoy seeing a former Ohio stud at the helm.

As to PSU, it sounds as if Sunderland has been told it's time to go and has to choose whether to resign or be fired. I happen to think that the actions of Ohio State have had a large impact on PSU. Their AD couldn't not notice the upswing in Buckeye country with the change in leadership. I imagine they believe it's now their time to look for better results on a consistent basis. PSU recruited well so I don't imagine they'll do much better in terms of attracting talent. It was the institutional issues--grades and discipline problems--which really hurt PSU of late.

Sammy White to Ohio State would be a welcome change were he to be interested. White, Stieber, Paddock and C. Palmer would certainly solidify the lt wts.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

When was the last time a Graham wrestler wrestled for tOSU? I mean do they hate tOSU that much that they would rather go to a school, let's say NIllinois for arguments sake. Because Graham had a good 25 pounder that decided to go out of state and let's not even bring up D.T..

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Marlo:

Zach Neibert was originally going to attend Wisconsin and then that fell through. NIU was plan B. My guess is that there are academic issues afoot here. There have been many fine wrestlers that were limited as to where they attended school by grades and test scores. Remember, Ohio State has lifted their academic standards significantly in recent years. It's no longer a place where anyone can show up and get accepted. I apologize in advance if my conjecture is misplaced.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

"For all the talk of Terry Brands , I just don't see it - too much of a high wire act for stately State College."
---------------------------------------
agree, ha, ha, NO WAY, NOOO WAAAYYY Terry Brands or any Iowa guy--- there is real animosity between Penn st and Iowa going back to the 90s when the great coach Lorenzo had some powerhouse teams at Penn st but always took 2nd to Iowa. No way in helll.

Penn st hires their own, Sunderland was 2X Penn st captain-- it'll be a Penn st man, i think maybe TIM FLYNN , Edinboro, which would mean perhaps Rosselli to Edinboro ??? but could be Kerry McKoy , could be John Hughes , could be Rob Koll of Cornel whose Dad was long time Penn st coach.

forget Sam White , he signed National Letter of Intent last November with U of illinois, thats binding unless he is willing to sit out one year-- not redshirt but sit out with no money .

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Bob:
They wouldn't let him out of that given that they've given him nothing yet and the coach who he signed to wrestle for is gone?

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Quick Mark Johnson story...

A couple seasons ago my bro took a team West in the summer for a tournament, I believe to NE. On the way out, somehow he got ahold of Coach Johnson, as Champaign was on the way. Coach Johnson invited them to stop and work out in their room so they could manage weight and get a practice in on the long trip. He also showed them their facilities.

To me, one of the coolest things I've ever heard. A coach of a major D1 program giving back to a bunch of HS freshmen and sophomores.

Whoever takes over at Illinois will have big shoes to fill.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next