Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Illegal/legal move question
Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

I know a full nelson is illegal and it should be because of the unreal amount of pressure it puts on your neck. Furthermore a head in a circle without an arm is illegal. Like a head lock when the arm slips out or is not in.

My question is why is it not illegal, from the bottom position, when the top guy has his legs in, to reach up and lock your hands around the kids head at the base of the skull and pull. I’ve seen what they call a defensive pin happen in this situation. Is it not a full nelson and is it also not a head in a circle without an arm.

Should this technique be illegal as well?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

No, it is not illegal and should not be illegal. In the situation described - pulling the head up to get a defensive pin - it is a normal motion and it doesn't separate the neck/head from any other parts of the body.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"No, it is not illegal and should not be illegal. In the situation described - pulling the head up to get a defensive pin - it is a normal motion and it doesn't separate the neck/head from any other parts of the body."

Getting caught in it, it certainly feels like your head is getting separated from your body!

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

I know it is not illegal, but it still looks like a head in a circle without an arm.

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on March 31, 2009

I don't think its similar to a full nelson. The pressure from a full nelson comes from when a wrestler is on top of his opponent and goes underneath of his arms.
I don't think the pressure is similar to illegal headlock either. When a wrestler is in control and has a headlock without an arm they are in a "stronger" position which allows them to put more force. When you are on the bottom reaching up for the head and locking your hands, naturally you are weaker when your own arms are above your head.

Anthony Petrella added to this discussion on April 1, 2009

A full nelson doesn't necessarily put undo pressure on the neck as much as it does on the shoulders. In this position, no pressure or weight can be put on the shoulders as in a full nelson. A wrestler isn't in danger of being injured, the position is just very uncomfortable and can be difficult to breath.

► Add to the Discussion