Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Brian Hauser, NHSCA Senior National Finalist
Al McIntosh added to this discussion on April 4, 2009

Brian Hauser, a 103-pounder from Brush High School in the South Euclid - Lyndhurst school district, will wrestle for a NHSCA Senior National title Sunday evening. Brian is the only Ohio wrestler to make it to the finals of the Senior National Tournament. Live coverage will be on ESPN360.com starting at 7:00 p.m.

Brian is being coached by former Shaw High School head coach and 1963 Garfield Heights state champion, David Range II. Coach Range flew into Virginia Beach from Las Vegas this past weekend to coach his grandson, Devon Range, and Hauser.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 5, 2009

I've been following along with the brackets. Hauser has saved a little Ohio pride. Good luck to him in the finals.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 5, 2009

Hank,
i'm sure u were being facetious-- Ohio pride not at stake-- i havent gone bracket by bracket but who of renown from Ohio didnt make AA or fell on his face ?

most top kids not there, after all this is a expensive tourn to attend--- kids parents have to come up with $$$ for mortgage, car payments, college for siblings, and some pay high school tuition to private school. Some have either lost their jobs or fear for it.

and there is still Fargo, Disney duals, Jr Duals, and FILA to consider entering in the next few months.

Fact is the toughest tourn in USA by far is still Fargo Jr ntl freestyle , it has top juniors-to-be, seniors-to-be, and graduated seniors all in the SAME event .

Fargo Cadets , well thats where i first saw Henry Cejudo, Teyon Ware, Johny Hendricks, Nickerson, Escobedo, Damion Hahn, Jason Welch, Alton bros, Peppelman bros, Campalattano, Jamie Clark, the Steibers & Chris Phillips long before the rest of the nation--- cant beat it for seeing new young talent.

when NHSCA left Pittsburgh then later Cleveland it was BIG mistake imo regardless whose, if anybodies, fault it was-- or whatever factors i'm not privy too played a hand in it.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on April 5, 2009

Hank:

Most of the top kids that went from Ohio performed at levels commensurate to their ability.

103- Hauser obviously is where he could be, finalist
112- Pierce and Baker weren't really "known" coming in. Three of the four losses they had were to "known" kids. Pierce made the con16.
119- Chandler Jones was an unexpected AA
125- Tyler Alsip hit the con12 round, which was above expectation
130- Jake Vaughan took 4th, which is pretty good
135- Mike Hillock was an unexpected AA
140- Chris Block hit the con16 round, champ bracket loss was to a "known" kid.
145- Chilson and Greco weren't really name types, both won some matches
152- McGookey finished 6th, which is pretty good
160- Lang ended up 8th, which is a slight underperformance; the loss to Klop is the one that's disappointing, as Yates and LeBlanc were national top 10 kids.
171- Heflin ended up 7th, but when you consider his losses and margins of them, it's pretty good. OT against Lofthouse and TB against Ard; those are two kids ranked above him. Quality win over Seidenberg, and beat a solid Doty to AA.
189- Mills made the con12, which is about where you'd expect him. Lost to two "name" wrestlers in Nocchi and Loder.
285- Johnson took 3rd, which is very good. Morosko hit the con16, beat Reno runner-up Stadel, but lost to CA state champ McCovey and 2x CA placer Lopez.

I didn't see a "bad" performance. What I saw more of was not enough quantity of top competitors.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 5, 2009

Josh: Thanks for the assessment. Obviously, it's sad that more Ohio studs no longer attend Sr Nationals. It used to be a showcase for Ohio talent. As Bob P pointed out, many of our best are no longer participating. I don't think it's a money issue as much as many of the country's best no longer attend. It seems that many of the best kids are already committed and no longer feel the competitive urge at the end of high school. I'd also like to point out that Graham's best have not gone in recent years. No Boyd or Jordan last year; no Taylor or Neibert this year (someone correct me if I'm wrong). When Ohio's best program doesn't value Sr Nationals, there's going to be an effect state wide.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 6, 2009

What the Senior Nationals has become is a tourney for those still looking to prove themselves. Many of our top kids don't feel that need anymore. Some of the best kids still go because it is in their competitive nature to want to go, but in general, you will see a lot more Chandler Jones and Jake Vaughns there. Both of those boys are great wrestlers, but they were not state champs and they still had something to prove to themselves.

I don't know why this has happened, but I don't think that the trend will be reversed. In my opinion, this tournament will not carry the same clout in 5 years that it did 5 years ago. The last GREAT year for Ohio (and this tournament in general in my opinion) was 2003. Schlatter beats Tannenbaum in the finals, Hackett beats Hodge winner Jake Herbert in the finals, Bergman loses a tough one to Kish in the finals. The best of the best were still coming and Ohio won it all with a record 21 All-Americans and there were names like Lang, Herbert, Kish, Bergman, Churella, Phil Davis, Schlatter, Mark Perry, Josh Glenn, Robbie Preston, Manuel Rivera, etc.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 6, 2009

its probably down some too but Fargo Jr ntls still THE top single tourn , after all its like adding in NHSCA soph, junior & senior tourn all in one. (in fargo u got all in one, juniors to be, seniors to be and graduated seniors.)

the guys who won Fargo Jr FR were ELITE kids: LSteiber, Nate Moore, the Altons, Matt Lester, Mario Mason, Andrew Howe, Ben Bennett, Chris Perry, Tyrel Fortune, Eric Thompson, these are elite guys.

and Fargo Cadets is still where u see the nations up & coming stars.

don't know the details, but it appears when NHSCA left Cleveland, they messed up. NHSCA always complained of no press coverage in Pittsburgh, but they even got very good press coverage here from the PD.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on April 7, 2009

I agree that they messed up by moving the event from Cleveland.

Do you think that they would benefit from moving this event to Iowa or Missouri, somewhere centrally located? Or would it be better to move it to a more traveled location in the south, somewhere everyone can fly to for a reasonable price? I understand that the NHSCA is an east coast organization, but they make a mint on this event, they could sacrifice a little bit of that to make it more accessible to the masses.

Will we see an event like the Brute Adidas Nationals start to become more popular (in Kansas City again) as a post season folkstyle national championship?

Of course, the NHSCA could just right the wrong and come back to Ohio, either in Cleveland or Columbus, and see if that helps bring back some of the elite.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 7, 2009

Scott,
Sr nationals has moved enough, thats not the answer- - i think its hopeless, too many events anymore, parents & wrestlers have to pick & choose. Right now Disney duals is kicking every other events azz , it has the best business model, and its growing in popularity.

NHSCA Sr nationals reminds me of GM , they both had a heyday, both had a marquis brand name, and they both blew it. Cant put humpty dumpty back together again.

i think Disney duals will grow in popularity-- fargo Jr and cadet nationals will still be the toughest tests, and the other out of season events will all muddle along.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on April 7, 2009

0304 2003 National H.S. Runner-Up J.D. Bergman OH vs Roger Kish MI

0418 2004 National H.S. Champion Jeff Jaggers, Ohio dec Steve Blunk, OH

0505-2 2005 184 Mike Purcillo National H.S. Champion def Varner of CA

0606 2006 National H.S. Champion Dave Rella dec Ryan Patrovich of Islip, NY

0606 2006 National H.S. Champ Lance Palmer, Ohio dec Byron Kuylen of MT

0706 2007 National H.S. Runner Up Nikko Trigas, CA vs Zach Sanders, MN

0706 2007 National H.S. Champ Colt Sponseller, Ohio 49-0 dec Paul Paddock, NY 47-0

with Jaggers National H.S. Wrestler of Year award

with Sponseller National H.S. Wrestler of Year award

That is 7 of 10 OSU NCAA Runner Up teams finalists at Senior H.S. Nationals 5 champions and 2 Wrestlers of Year.

Not so sure things change so quickly or because of venue. Coach Sanders, Olympic Champion and Iowa State coach, was interviewed at Virginia Beach and he said he comes to view wrestlers in same style as college. California, 2,000 miles away, won and had some 46 wrestlers on the award stands. Michigan had 39 entries. Blair had several finalists. Could simply be a down year for Ohio Seniors:

Kory Mines JR

Jerome Robinson JR

Jamie Clark JR

Sam White SR #6 Massillon Perry going to Illinois did not attend

Shawn Fayette JR

Robert Shepherd JR

Collin Palmer SR #2 St Edwards going to Ohio State entered but did not compete assuming sick or injured

David Habat JR

Josh Demas JR

Kyle Lang SR #7 Brecksville finished 8th

Nick Heflin SR #13 Massillon Perry finished 7th

Andrew Tumlin SR not ranked Harrison did not attend going North Carolina State

Orlando Scales SR ranked #1 Elder not signed

Jeremy Johnson SR ranked #3 Brecksville finished 3rd going to OU

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 8, 2009

Not a down year for Ohio seniors-- i started going to this NHSCA event from the first one in about 1990, i'm going over the senior brackets right now, its MUCH weaker now than it was in Pittsburgh or Cleveland.

the top Seniors didnt enter from Ohio, years ago most of these guys would have entered:
AWN # 3 at 125 Sam White
#7 at 125 Neibert
# 1 at 135 David Taylor
# 2 at 140 Collin Palmer
# 3 at 160 Zack Toal
#1 at 215 Orlando Scales

► Add to the Discussion