Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ken Chertow to pursue head coach position at Penn State
Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on April 13, 2009

Ken is an exceptionally hard worker, a marketing machine and might have a bigger network of current youth and high school wrestlers and coaches than anybody in the country.

I think hiring him could be a dangerous thing to Ohio State and could give Penn State an excellent chance of keeping more of Pennsylvania's talent at one university.

http://www.thewrestlingmall.com/

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 13, 2009

Chertow yes, but imo no one has bigger network of TOP high school kids than Jeff Jordan . Erik Burnett up there pretty high too.

apparently Rob Koll not interested so these are the 3 i think have a good shot, its close but i rank them this way in probability :
1 Tim Flynn, head Edinboro
2 John Hughes, asst Lehigh
3 Ken Chertow

Penn St is known for hiring their own , and with the fierce rivalry they had with Iowa when coach Lorenzo had his great teams in early 90s i would collapse in disbelief if they hired an Iowa guy like Terry Brands like certain forums are proclaiming. It aint happening, imo.

but certainly excitement generated by hiring a new head coach will make Penn St even tougher to recruit against.

the good news is there is a tremendous amount of top talent right now in PA (and Ohio too but esp PA). And they cant all go to Penn St. The bad news is Lehigh is on the upmove too with Pat Santoro.

but after 2 straight NCAA 2nds, Ohio st U right now can recruit with any college anywhere i think. By all accounts Ohio St was 2nd to Oklahoma St for the services of both Jordan Oliver and Alex Meade , and that was BEFORE Ohio states two NCAA 2nd place finishes. So the Buckeyes wont suffer imo. They only have 10 scholarships anyway.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 13, 2009

My fear would be PSU hiring Terry Brands.

Erik Burnett should have been pursued to run a certain Ohio collegiate wrestling program.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 13, 2009

"My fear would be PSU hiring Terry Brands. "

Never fear, no chance, i know the Penn St thinking---- heck Troy Sunderland slept on my couch years ago when he was on a recruiting trip. No Iowa guy will be hired, they will chose from their own, thats the Penn St way. (Sunderland was only a lowly asst at Navy when hired, but he was a 2X Penn St captain.)

i think Flynn the favorite, has done very well at Edinboro.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 13, 2009

Penn State has underachieved for decades now. They are the largest, most well funded school smack-dap in the middle of the richest recruiting territory in America...and yet they are not a National contender year in and year out, they're not a Big Ten contender year in and year out. When was the last time PSU wrestled to their potential? With that in mind, wouldn't it be wise to go outside the Penn State family, since the family has underachieved for so long?

And going outside the Penn State family doesn't have to mean hiring Iowa guys, there are other schools out there and other talented coaches who have no Iowa connection. Tom Borelli comes to mind.

Joe Caprino added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Chertow has literally no shot at this job. He has burnt too many bridges at PSU for them to hire them. When he was coaching he up and left Fritz halfway through the season to do more camp stuff leaving him without an assistant coach.

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Wise...maybe? But they are...Penn State. :)

And I live in PA and you're right - everyone here thinks they should contend for the NCAA every year. And with the talent in PA, how can you argue?

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

This might sound a little heretical, but is Terry Brands a great coach?

Obviously, he was an incerdible competitor, that goes without saying. But can anyone speak to his record of coaching success? (At UTC and also USA Wrestling, if memory serves correctly)

I guesss what I am saying is he was certainly a more succesful athlete than let's say a Tim Flynn, but is he a better coach ?

Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Joe-

I believe he is a large part of the reason behind Henry Cejudo's success. He can take an elite level athlete to the highest level. The question is whether the University wants all of the irrational/emotional antics. It looked to me as if Tom Brands was couple referee calls away from losing his head at the NCAAs. He was pretty much shaking in an agitated state when interviewed after one of Morningstar's matches. Terry comes from the same tree. At that point, it does not take much to trigger a loss of self control.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

"Penn State has underachieved for decades now. They are the largest, most well funded school smack-dap in the middle of the richest recruiting territory in America...and yet they are not a National contender year in and year out, they're not a Big Ten contender year in and year out. With that in mind, wouldn't it be wise to go outside the Penn State family, since the family has underachieved for so long? "
----------------------------------------------------

well true, but Penn St is loyal to their own, thats how they do business, you'd be surprised how much INFLUENCE Joe Paterno has matter of fact---- but if they go outside the Penn st family it WONT be to the Iowa family. Ive been wrong before but on this i would bet my life.

And much the same situation u describe could be said & even more for Ohio st U which was in bad shape prior to Ryan---- at least Penn St under coach Lorenzo thru the mid 90s had very good teams but couldnt beat Gable of course. In 1999 i think Penn st wins it all if Jamarr Billman hadnt been suspended, put 3 in finals and NCAAs were right there in State College.

Penn st has only the limited 9.9 which makes keeping major talent at home very hard, if not impossible. And Penn st shares the state with many more Div I wrestling programs than any other state.

With 85 fulls Ohio St & Penn St Football can always recruit an extra O- lineman, DB, WR or 2 or 3, those guys can change positions--- but in wrestling "needs" have to be matched to "money" very very carefully. So Penn st or not, Ohio St or not, alot of talent always going to leave the state.

i'm surprised no one has mentioned "if Flynn gets it does Rosselli leave to go back to Edinboro?"

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Flynn would be my choice. I have worked a lot of wrestling camps at Edinboro. It is a nice campus, but doesn't compare to the atmosphere and facilities that Penn State has. Flynn would be able to get the top recruits. Flynn is a great coach and a better person. It would be great to see how he would transform Penn State into a national powerhouse. McCoy would be a close second pick. He has shown he is very capable as a head coach. These two guys could be successful at any programs.

how could i omit McCoy , i had a brainlapse? a former Penn st great, its close between him & Tim Flynn . Hughes never a head coach yet. Chertow not now coaching in college and never a head college coach either :

1 Tim Flynn, head Edinboro
2 Kerry McCoy

2 John Hughes, asst Lehigh
3 Ken Chertow

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"And much the same situation u describe could be said & even more for Ohio st U which was in bad shape prior to Ryan---- at least Penn St under coach Lorenzo thru the mid 90s had very good teams but couldnt beat Gable of course. "

I totally agree, and said so at the time, but I didn't want to get into a big Ohio State thing again. But, since you mention it, tOSU looked past Rowlands to Ryan and his staff of "outsiders". It seems that they made the right choice (although there's no telling what Rowlands would have done if given the opportunity). I was thinking since Penn State and Ohio State have such similar histories (even those great Penn State teams of the '90s can be almost matched by the DiSabito, Marinelli, Ramsey, Schyck, Randleman, Holman Buckeye squads of the early 90s), you'd think the'd look at Ohio State and at least look outside the Penn State box for a hire that could change the culture of Penn State wrestling.

"tOSU looked past Rowlands to Ryan and his staff of "outsiders". It seems that they made the right choice (although there's no telling what Rowlands would have done if given the opportunity). I was thinking since Penn State and Ohio State have such similar histories -- -- -- you'd think the'd look at Ohio State and at least look outside the Penn State box for a hire that could change the culture of Penn State wrestling."
------------------------------------------

there is a Dif between Ohio st U and Penn St and its is TRADITION, Penn St has alot more. Thats why Penn St has wanted to hire one of their own in the past. Ohio st U has no comparable tradition, therefor going outside was natural.

Rowlands was # 2 behind Ryan i understand in the head coach sweepstakes 3 yrs ago----- a tribute to Tommy because he had no head coaching experience.

And Tommy was in fact still pursuing HIS OWN wrestling goals which would consume much of his time. When you are high on the ladder, USA Wrestling tells u to report to the OTC at Colorado Springs for a week or 2 of training and u do it. Its not a compatible mix with being a head college coach.

if Tommy had already been a head coach somewhere or at least a first asst-- and wasnt still wrestling himself-- i think Rowlands would be Ohio State's head right now. i understand Tommy gave a great interview and scored very high with the selection committee.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 14, 2009

I think a lot of the reason PSU is making a change is the success of Ohio State. It's impossible for them not to notice how well the Buckeyes have performed since making a change. I think that both the PSU AD and influential alums have to believe that making a move is necessary to keep pace with the Buckeyes.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next