Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Discussion Topic: Ken Chertow to pursue head coach position at Penn State
Rex Holman added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Time for Iowa State to pony up for the next candidate-yee friggin' haw

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Gary Corroto added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Quote from Gary Sommers's post:

"

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"If Cael is accepting the position that will create the domino effect of college coaching. That leaves two positions open that are highly sought after and that will lead to the other positions opening.

I don't know if Taylor would have to sit out a year or if he could enroll at Penn State right away?

This is huge news. I know for a fact that to Taylor, Cael is that important to him."

I wonder if when Taylor was discussing things with Sanderson before signing if he asked him if he was planning to stay there throughout Taylor's career. I will be having my second child play sports in college next year, and we asked that question to both of their coaches. No guarantee the coach cannot lie to the kids, but I just wonder if they asked.

To me, if the coach is breaking a contract to leave as many do than the kids should be allowed to leave too. What's good for the goose......... But if his contract expired and he is free to leave than to me it is a case of buyer beware. Certainly not just in this case but in any."

My son was being recruited by Tom Brands when he was at Virginia Tech. Durning the process we asked him if he intended to stay there long term. He very candidly responded that he was happy at VT, but that he would leave if he had the chance to coach at Iowa. 8 months later he was the coach at Iowa. I always respected how honest and upfront he was about his intentions during the recruiting process. I can't say that we had the same feeling about all of the coaches we dealt with.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

"What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling?
"

There are very few people who make 7 figures. Almost none who make 7 figures at 25--no matter what the field. So I really don't see what your point is with this statement.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Quote from Ben Golden's post:

"

"What, he is going to make a 7-figure income when he is 25 from wrestling?
"

There are very few people who make 7 figures. Almost none who make 7 figures at 25--no matter what the field. So I really don't see what your point is with this statement."

The point, with some exaggeration for effect, is that it is borderline silly to completely put a sport with little long-term economic future ahead of the quality of the education you would have an opportunity to receive.

Should wrestling be very important to him? Of course. But to completely disregard the educational aspect just for the coach is silly. So if Sanderson went to a clearly substandard college such as Cleveland State Taylor would want to follow him there? People make their own decision for various reasons, I understand that, and neither ISU or PSU are exactly Michigan or Virginia as far as public schools are concerned, so I guess in that regard the education would be a wash.

Quote from Gary Corroto's post:

"

"

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"If Cael is accepting the position that will create the domino effect of college coaching. That leaves two positions open that are highly sought after and that will lead to the other positions opening.

I don't know if Taylor would have to sit out a year or if he could enroll at Penn State right away?

This is huge news. I know for a fact that to Taylor, Cael is that important to him."

I wonder if when Taylor was discussing things with Sanderson before signing if he asked him if he was planning to stay there throughout Taylor's career. I will be having my second child play sports in college next year, and we asked that question to both of their coaches. No guarantee the coach cannot lie to the kids, but I just wonder if they asked.

To me, if the coach is breaking a contract to leave as many do than the kids should be allowed to leave too. What's good for the goose......... But if his contract expired and he is free to leave than to me it is a case of buyer beware. Certainly not just in this case but in any."

My son was being recruited by Tom Brands when he was at Virginia Tech. Durning the process we asked him if he intended to stay there long term. He very candidly responded that he was happy at VT, but that he would leave if he had the chance to coach at Iowa. 8 months later he was the coach at Iowa. I always respected how honest and upfront he was about his intentions during the recruiting process. I can't say that we had the same feeling about all of the coaches we dealt with."

As long as you ask the right questions, and the coach is honest, buyer beware.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Guys enough about 6 figures or 7 figures... one thing is for sure. There is a 29 year old making a lot of cash in Happy Valley.

This is potentially a big problem for tOSU. Brands will no longer have to compete with the legend of Cael to recruit Iowa, Okla, Cali and the rest of the West. Sanderson, will obviously cherry pick PA and NJ to come to Penn State.

This basically means that we're flanked on both sides by Big 10 opponents with potentially greater recruiting power.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

flanked on both sides ?

imo Ohio St U can recruit with the best of them now:

...2 straight NCAA runerup finishes is selling point.

...Ohio loaded with hs talent, many kids grow up wanting to be a buckeye-- and besides Ohio St only 3 other Div I colleges in the state.

...Columbus is a very nice town, offers lot, very accessable by car or airplane.

...Cael didnt get em all when he was at Iowa st, he wont get em all now either. After all he still has only 9.9 to work with.

...Cael is taking a risk, i'd like to know the entire story behind this move-- i think Iowa St returns every starter from last year, could win it all without Cael.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

Cael to PSU sounds very sexy...then there's the reality. He did a very good job recruiting at ISU. The team performance was solid but not as good as either Ryan at OSU or Brands at Iowa. At some point, the allure of Olympic gold wears off and he has to be able to demonstrate the ability to produce champions. Ryan has 6 NCAA finalists over the last two seasons. Those are good arguments to counter the Cael mystique.

I wonder where this leaves ISU wrestling? Lots of talent in that room but will this program sag without Cael? ISU jumped to hire him when tOSU opened up. Now, they're in a bind. If I were them, the name Tom Borelli would be very high on my list.

And I agree with those that feel Terry Brands to ASU is a smart move.

Last comment: Who's a better coach--Tom Borelli or Cael Sanderson?

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Cael to PSU sounds very sexy...then there's the reality. He did a very good job recruiting at ISU. The team performance was solid but not as good as either Ryan at OSU or Brands at Iowa. At some point, the allure of Olympic gold wears off and he has to be able to demonstrate the ability to produce champions. Ryan has 6 NCAA finalists over the last two seasons. Those are good arguments to counter the Cael mystique.

I wonder where this leaves ISU wrestling? Lots of talent in that room but will this program sag without Cael? ISU jumped to hire him when tOSU opened up. Now, they're in a bind. If I were them, the name Tom Borelli would be very high on my list.

And I agree with those that feel Terry Brands to ASU is a smart move.

Last comment: Who's a better coach--Tom Borelli or Cael Sanderson?"

Great points! Not every great athlete makes a great coach or manager. Just look back at Ted Williams. Or Isiah Thomas.

"Last comment: Who's a better coach--Tom Borelli or Cael Sanderson?"

Hank, u would agree i'm sure, based on record, longevity and where he's done it, Borrelli for sure. So far.

but Penn st is paying--and i've just learned how much-- Penn st is paying for Cael's aura to put some glitz in the sagging Nittany Lion name, and for the fact he will probably be a super recruiter at Penn St U.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

"Isaiah Thomas"

Don't you mean Isaiah Thompson? haha...

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on April 17, 2009

How much better is PSU going to recruit? Over the last several years, they've done an incredible job. The issue isn't recruiting--it's how you run your program. If I'm ISU, I grab Borelli (although I love him at CMU). Then, let's see which program is better over the next half dozen years.

Cael to PSU has a lot of sizzle. We'll see what happens.

i got a feeling about Borrelli and Illinois, no knowledge just a feeling.

enormous amount of talent in PA now, a SUPER junior class, i think Cael will make a Big DIF. The shine was off the Penn St wrestling brand name no doubt about that-- only 1 low AA & a losing dual meet record this season? ugh !!

Cael will recruit ALOT better than previous staff would have.

Penn st has to fight off poachers like Lehigh and Ohio St and Oklahoma and Okla St and Michigan. Penn st acted out of a sense of desparation i believe.

Quote from Dan Cosimi's post:

"

"Isaiah Thomas"

Don't you mean Isaiah Thompson? haha..."

Hard to believe he didn't get the name right. But he didn't. :)undefined

J.P. Barner added to this discussion on April 18, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

" I got a feeling about Borrelli and Illinois, no knowledge just a feeling.

enormous amount of talent in PA now, a SUPER junior class, I think Cael will make a Big DIF. The shine was off the Penn St wrestling brand name no doubt about that-- only 1 low AA & a losing dual meet record this season? ugh !!

Cael will recruit ALOT better than previous staff would have.

Penn st has to fight off poachers like Lehigh and Ohio St and Oklahoma and Okla St and Michigan. Penn st acted out of a sense of desparation I believe.
"

From what I've read, more like 'determination' rather than desparation - at least by a few well-heeled wrestling alums who ponied up the cash.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next