Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Recruitment Began Today
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 1, 2009

Ohio State, Kent, etc...could officially contact high school seniors to be today.

Currently on roster (and I'm sure to miss some)
125: Triggas, Touris
133: Paddock, Harrington, Vaughn, Henry
141: Humphrey, C. Palmer
149: L. Palmer, T. Jameson
157: Nemec, Kusar
165: Sponseller, A.J., Campbell
174: Rella, Heflin
184: Pucillo
197: Magrum, Stolarsky
285: Morrison, Hiles

Coming in: Logan Stieber.

Who would you most like to see the Buckeyes land? And what areas of this lineup based on age, etc...most need shoring up?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 1, 2009

This only brings questions to me. Will Magrum stay at 197 once Pucillo is gone? Can Heflin grow to be a 184 lber. after a redshirt year? We need a guy who can man 125, I'd love a 4 year guy, but it's always hard to find a guy who can stay there for 4-5 years. 133-165 I think we're solid at. It's difficult to have an elite guy at every weight unless you're Okie State or Iowa, but we're building to be there. Heavyweight should be an interesting battle. Some people say Hiles is beating Morrison in the room, makes things interesting.

Chris Shepherd added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

I'd really like to see us shore up the 197 and 285 weights. I think Touris gives us the career depth we need at 125. He should be around for 3 more years and will be that career type of 125 we need as he grows into it. Stieber, C.Palmer, Jameson, Sponseller, Nemec, Magrum (I look for him to be a 184 after Pucillo is gone), Give us plenty of future at the lighter/middle weights. I really think we need to look for a blue chipper for 197...Could Phillips grow into this range? He's been around 171 forever it seems. I'd really like to see him make the jump to 189 this year and grow into a full 189 as a senior before I'd be holding money back for him in the future. If that's what could happen that would be awesome! That's the next Ohio kid I'd love to see wearing the scarlet and gray.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Ok...so, what if tOSU can land Jamie Clark? Is that someone you get regardless of weight class because of his upside?

Upperwts...how about Max Thomusseit?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Thomusseit would be huge for the long term of the Buckeyes. He would fill the 197 spot nicely eventually allowing Magrum to slide down to 184 if he chose to do so. The Buckeyes need Thomusseit for the simple fact that he's from Graham and they haven't been able to land a kid out of St. Paris.

At 125 is Triggas going to be make it down again or will Touris step into the role this year?

They have already locked up the #1 recruit in the nation in Stieber who will be next to join the Buckeyes in this class? Penn State already has both Altons and maybe Peppleman too.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

2009-2010 Starting Roster (Backups)

125 - Triggas or if Triggas moves up, Touris - (Touris, Zamaria)
133 - Triggas if he moves up or, the other 133 lbers. (Plenty)
141 - Humphrey (Collin Palmer, or others from 133 who can move up)
149 - Palmer (Kusar)
157 - Nemec (Jameson)
165 - Sponseller (Campbell)
174 - Rella (Heflin)
184 - Pucillo (Maybe Heflin?)
197 - Magrum (Stolarsky)
285 - Morrison or Hiles (Whoever of the two doesn't start)

Who do we go after/Who do we have
Logan Stieber - 125/133
Jamie Clark - 125/133
David Habat - 157/165
Max Thomusseit - 197

Looking at what we've got, 133, 141, and middle weights we've got plenty of people, maybe they won't be good their freshmen year, but the sky is the limit. 125-184-197-285 we've got some question marks as to who's going to be there, backups, etc.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

I definitely think Magrum could be a career 197. I remember commenting a couple years ago that he has a Bergman-like frame and thought he was more likely to be a 197 than anything else. He is quite tall and if I'm not mistaken, he's already competed at 211 pounds in freestyle. The only thing left is to make sure he has the power needed to excel at that weight class and he has four years left to build that. That said, if we want to get a guy like Max Thomusseit, one of them will have to go 184.

It will be interesting to see how big Phillips gets for many reasons.

For the Buckeyes (if they successfully recruit him), I'd hope for Phillips to be at 184 until Magrum graduates and then possibly move up to 197. Add in Thomusseit to the mix and you have quite a trio for two weight classes. But the weight is a secondary issue. Recruiting him is priority number one. A guy with that much talent is just too great to miss no matter what weight class he is at. That said, who knows what he wants to do? Maybe he doesn't even know yet.

Phillips' weight will make a big impact on CVCA junior Alex Utley, who has been second and third at the state tournament and, now that three-time state champion Zach Toal is gone, is a huge favorite to win any weight class Phillips isn't at. Of course this is the year that the OHSAA recalculates the enrollment numbers. If CVCA moves up to Division 2, this is a moot point.

The conglomerate around 189 pounds in Division 3 will also be watching Phillips' movement. If Phillips moves up (which I don't think he will) I think it is more likely that Utley moves up to 189 than drop down to 160 again. That means defending state champion Corby Running, Brakeman pick Kurtis Schaefer and a host of others might opt to move up to 215, a class that does not return a great amount of talent.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Dee Dee Dee...how could I have forgotten Josh Demas. Close to Ohio State, talented, aggressive, etc.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Phillips looks like he could be the next Brian Roddy with regards to weight and staying at the same weight class. I think if the Buckeyes land him he will end up at the 184 and would be a great fit in the lineup. Phillips will be the cornerstone of the recruiting class next year if the Buckeyes are to get him.

Thomusseit is an absolute monster size wise I would imagine him as a 197 unless he is able to go down to 184 which he maybe able to.

I'm glad we have options in the 174-197 range it is starting to shape up like the middle weights we have, that is if they land the big recruits.

In regards to Demas he would be a great 165. Give him a year to redshirt behind Sponseller and then let him loose. He is very aggressive and athletic plus he's right in their backyard.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

fyi, Demas is at U of Nebraska camp right now.

Mike Kulczycki at U of Michigan camp at st Eds today. Mike is a great guy, but any day u can razz a Michigan guy is a good day (2050 days since Michigan last beat Ohio st U in football--- but whose counting ??)

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Dan,
OHSAA already recalculated. CVCA stays DIII, Keystone drops to DIII. Fairview Park drops to DIII, Clearview up to DII. Those are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Jerome Robinson still can be landed?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Fairview Park is D3? Seems like they were AAA (D1) not too long ago. Man, am I getting old!

As an aside, does anyone live there anymore?

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Hank,
As a matter of fact I do. I was surprised when I saw how far they dropped. We do have a lot for sale signs around town. They are also joining my schools (Lutheran West) conference in a year.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Many good recruting questions. Some thoughts:

125-I think Triggas stays at 125 until he graduates or is bumped out by Stieber. I think if Stieber looks to be a 133 then the Bucks need a future 125. Clark would be my first choice if he doesn't follow Cael. If Clark goes the Bucks have a trio of studs in their backyard in Robinson, Sako, and often overlooked 2x champ Mitch. It will be interesting to see if any of these guys distance themselves from the pack.

165/174-I think you have to go after Demas if you can here. Super explosive with tons of upside. Anyway Jameson/Nemec moves up after this year and Spoon to 174?

184-I think (hope) Chris Phillips is the future of this weight.

197-I could see Magrum as a career 197 but certainly wouldn't mind picking up a stud like Thomesseit.

285-It's seems Heavy's are hard to recruit, but a big guys would be hard pressed to find a better workout situation.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next