Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Discussion Topic: Recruitment Began Today
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

Good call on Ty Mitch, Scott. He's is a really good kid and we all know he's tough as nails on his feet. The only thing holding him back from being one of the most coveted recruits in the nation (a possible career 125-pounder) is that his wrestling from the bottom position is a bit of a question mark. That said, I know he was working on that a lot last year and will continue to... and that might turn it into a big advantage.

I'd take Ty on my team any day and I bet the college coaches around Ohio are thinking the same thing.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

It would also be nice to know what each school "pulled" from the late signing period.

Ohio State signed four sigificant kids early.

Kent only has the tranfer Cathell that is known at this time.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

I know a lot of you were at places other than the Mentor District. I also know the Sako-Robinson final there hasn't been described to my knowledge (I don't know if there is video).
1st period: Robinson hit a 5 point throw more than halfway through and rode Sako the remainder (not that long). 5-0
2nd period: Sako rode Robinson the entire period.
3rd period: Sako escaped fairly quickly and then hit a 4 point throw and rode Robinson out (fairly long). 5-5.
1st OT: no scoring through Robinson did get a leg elevated in nuetral. Some criticized the quick stalemate call in that position, but the ref does have to accellerate decisions in abbreviated OTs.
2nd OT: Sako rides out Robinson again.
3rd OT: Robinson makes the decision that you sometimes see. Odds were with Sako escaping. so he cuts him to start, giving himself maximum time to work a winning TD, which he achieved.

For whatever this is worth, it seems Sako is the most rounded of the three at this point. I like Robinson a lot, though. AND Ty Mitch too.

Of those three, Robinson has the BEST one skill. His "neutral game" is awesome. He also has the one skill that is MOST DEFICIENT, very suspect on bottom.

I would rank them - at this point - (1) Robinson (2) Sako (3) Mitch. However, production at the end of this month in Fargo could change things for the immediate term.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

I'll take Jamie Clark assuming he's healthy. Robinson could prove a solid D1 125 as well.

Here are some names to consider. I culled them from the InterMat high school rankings. All come from proven wrestling states which makes a difference in my mind. All are upperwts heading in their senior years of high school. To the best of my knowledge (limited as it is) all are available. I have no idea about grades, character, test scores, etc..

These are compiled by Josh "Bucksman" Lowe so perhaps he can offer further comment. Also, these rankings are from last season. All these guys are ranked behind seniors. Lawson could start the year as #1 285 prospect.

1) Jim Lawson, 285, NJ--ranked #2
2) Spencer Myers, 215, PA, #9
3) Antonio Giorgio, 215, PA, #11
4) Max Thomusseit, 189, Oh, #16
5) Tyler Beckwith, 171, NY, #8
6) Lee Munster, 171, Illinois, #5
7) Andrew Campolattano, NJ, sophomore, 189

Steve Lester added to this discussion on July 2, 2009

I read on TWT that Munster verballed to Northwestern.

I hesitate to mention this, but a poster on another forum claimed a friend of his saw Clark at Illinois recently. Internet noise, perhaps, but it got me thinking about who their new head coach is.

Hank:

Munster is a verbal to Northwestern. Other upperweights ranked in the InterMat top 100 senior-to-be recruits. For access to all of the rankings, you need to be a Platinum subscriber.

#8 - Munster (171), verbal to Northwestern
#11 - Beckwith (171)
#12 - Evans (171)
#20 - Lawson (285)
#24 - Coleman (285), from NE -> has football written all over him from what I hear, though might consider wrestling
#25 - Cowan (215), from OK
#27 - Max Thomusseit (189)
#34 - Craig (285)
#38 - Myers (215)
#39 - Giorgio (215)
#40 - Knight (189), from IA -> has Iowa State written all over him, father went there as I recall
#46 - Telford (285)
#51 - Meeks (171), from WA
#52 - Dorulla (171), from MI -> stock down off of Disney based on early returns
#56 Gadson (171), from IA
#62 Lehmann (171), from MN
#71 Malvestuto (171), from NY
#87 McMullan (285), from PA
#91 Green (285), from MD
#94 Meulman (215), from CA
#99 Gaffney (215), from PA

Some pretty legit options for true 285's in this class for programs across the country. Lawson, Craig, and Telford are getting play from BIG TIME programs. One of those three will most likely end up wrestling at Penn State if I was a betting person.

197 is always that impossible weight to find - that's why Thomusseit has such premium value. I think Knight ends up a long-term 197. Hard to say who from the 215 fits as a 197, who is a 285, and who spends most of their career in purgatory

Most of the 171's listed here are more 174/184 types.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 3, 2009

I'd love to grab Campolattano in addition to Phillipls, both are outstanding prodigies at their size. But, lack of wrestling funds and an awakening of Rutgers will quickly put that chance down. In addition to the fact that everyone will want Campolattano.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 3, 2009

Nicholas et. al.:

I think the key to recruiting success is to consistently land the top guys in Ohio ( as long as they fill a need) and then snag the occasional stud from elsewhere (NY, PA, NJ). For those reasons, I'd love to see Ohio State end up with Clark and Thomusseit plus a future 285. Demas would be nice as well.

Steve: Some guy on a message board recently insisted that a certain wrestler was going to one of two schools even though I knew a third school was involved. I think message board info is about as reliable as political promises.

Brian Morrow added to this discussion on July 3, 2009

Demas is towards the top of my list. I feel he is going to be an outstanding college level wrestler. He has improved every yr. Going to be a four time state placer in ohio. Prob a two time champ. I also like Jamie clark along with Max Thom. I think we need to land a st paris guy for sure here soon. We already have Logan Stieber locked. I believe that was a must after losing D.T.. Someone else I am really impressed with is Cam Tessari. Yes I know he is only a jr. He has been under the shadows of the Stieber boys but contiues to impress.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on July 3, 2009

"message board info is about as reliable as political promises."

This message board is the exception!

That little tidbit (true or not) had me musing about Eds connections at various Big Ten programs: Northwestern, Michigan, Ohio State, and Illinois.

Steve: What's TWT?

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on July 3, 2009

Ohhh I understand the strategy. I just love recruiting in general, the connections between schools and kids, the drama, all of it. And this upcoming recruiting year it'll be interesting. The one thing that separates wrestling from football is the fact wrestling has 9.9 scholarships which can be broken down as compared to football's 85 full scholarships. Money becomes an extremely important thing, which makes recruiting for wrestling that more challenging.

Nicholas: I think it's a lot like matching for med school. As an example, let's look at Jamie Clark. Great wrestler and a lightwt. Many programs want him but the ones that will pay the most will be the ones that most need a 125/133 prospect. The reason he may not end up at Ohio State is Logan Stieber. I can't see the Bucks offering him a huge scholly when Stieber is already coming in for what must be close to a full (if not a full as he's #1 in the country). So, where will Clark end up? Who most needs a talented light weight?

Bucks may have to pay alot for a quality big man. If Jim Lawson, NJ, is a real stud, he'd make a quality signing.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on July 4, 2009

I really don't see why Logan Stieber would be any kind of an obstacle for tOSU recruiting Jamie Clark. One can go 125, and the bigger can go 133, where the Bucks do not have an elite wrestler lined up. Or, if they are the same, the loser of the wrestle off can put on some muscle and go 133. I don't see the dealbreaker here.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next