Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame College welcomes thirty-five wrestlers in 2009 recruiting class
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 16, 2009

Bringing in thirty-five wrestlers in one class is astonishing. The talent they got is insane for an NAIA school. No NAIA team is even going to be close to beating them. Orlando Scales, Kevin Hardy... Ashtin Primus?! This is a Division 1 level starting lineup they'll have.

Click here for the full list: http://www.ohiowrestling.net/#ndcrc2009

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Notre Dame College welcomes thirty-five wrestlers in 2009 recruiting class
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 17, 2009

NDC had a larger initial recruiting class (60 plus kids) at the program's inception. They finished this season--their third year-- with about 12-14 kids listed on their roster. Ashtin Primus might not even start as he'll be competing with either Jeff Pelton or Adam Koballa. Also, I'd heard he was going elsewhere via a post by Alan Brown but that's not really important.

For whatever reason, a lot of kids have come and gone at NDC. The best kids mostly stick while the rest quickly leave. I guarantee you that the majority of kids listed will not be on the roster at the end of the season.

The Falcons are doing very well. But the school is in the process of switching to D2. Once this change occurs (it will take several years), it will significantly diminish the number of scholarships NDC can offer. Right now, the school can offer an unlimited amount of cash. That will change.

Having said all this...I plan to get to a few of their matches this season as they have a great group returning plus some exciting talent coming in. They certainly can challenge for an NAIA title although it's hardly a foregone conclusion.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 17, 2009

An unlimited amount of cash? It might be, but how very sad in some ways. Where is this money coming from? Endowments? I can't imagine at a school like NDC. The general fund funded by tuition payments of real students? I would certainly hope not but in a time where coaches make more than Nobel prize-winning professors it would not surprise me..

I fully understand buyer beware, but some of these kids won't be there very long when the writing becomes obvious on the wall. Over-recruiting, at many levels and in many sports, is rampant and often a problem.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 17, 2009

If these wrestlers can get into college on their athletic ability so be it. I see nothing wrong with it. If they fail, they have only themselves to blame. I'd rather some private school raise the money to support their education than do it off the backs of the taxpayers.

There is nothing wrong with what ND is doing as they are a private institution. The shame is in the wrestlers wasting the opportunity.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 17, 2009

Quote from Roe Fox's post:

"If these wrestlers can get into college on their athletic ability so be it. I see nothing wrong with it. If they fail, they have only themselves to blame. I'd rather some private school raise the money to support their education than do it off the backs of the taxpayers.

There is nothing wrong with what ND is doing as they are a private institution. The shame is in the wrestlers wasting the opportunity."

The truth is they won't all be "wasting" the opportunity. 35 recruits, plus returners, for 10 spots with no substitutions. The simple math says many of them, no matter how good and how hard they work, won't wrestle. The sheer numbers explain that.

And why should the taxpayers be paying for any of their education, unless you mean taxpayer-funded scholleys?

Roe Fox added to this discussion on July 17, 2009

The taxpayers pay for the schollys at public institutions. Let the privates carry them if they can. That's my point.

Perhaps that was lost on the Meeeeeeechigan grad (just a joke, Gary, I agree with much of what you write). Down boy, down. It's Friday.

Al McIntosh added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

First of all major props to the NDC coaching staff. When I saw this recruiting class my jaw dropped. No doubt NAIA schools have some major advantages with respect to giving out scholarships over the D-1 programs. However I don't care what advantage they have with respect to offering scholarships, you don't bring in 35 kids of this caliber without some serious recruitment efforts. From what I understand Anthony Ralph is the main recruiter. These guys just flat out hustles everyone when it comes to recruitment. Landing a talent like Orlando Scales speaks volumes. Also when I was at the Disney duals this year I was talking with some of the coaches from other states and I was quite amaze with the positive reputation NDC has across the country. One coach from Virginia was telling me how active NDC is in recruiting across state lines, and clearly based on this years recruiting class you can see the positive results.

Regarding the comments about over recruiting. All the good programs do it. 60 plus kids in the room beating each other up for 10 spots really makes for a very competitive program. A lot of top two kids per weight class will be rotated in the line up anyway throughout the season, and I believe a team can enter 12 wrestlers in the national tournament. You have to also consider that fact that at many of the top D-1 schools has wrestlers who were multiple state champs in high school that will never see varsity action due to the level of competition in the room.

What I like about the NAIA is that many kids are given an opportunity that some of the top D-1 just won't give. Brian Hauser is just one terrific kid and it's been an absolute joy to work with him during our off season program at Brush the last two years. He is a great kid in the classroom. He is a young man of great personal character, and of course he is a stellar wrestler. He was a high school national runner up. However because he was a 103 pounder as a senior, many of the top D-1 school weren't going to pull the trigger on giving his some financial help for college. Notre Dame could and did. Bottom-line his hard work paid off. I'm confident that Brian is going to be a coach’s dream. At the end of the day free college is a pretty good thing, especially in today’s economy. Yes, some kids will waste their opportunity, but there are a whole bunch of kids who won't. Like any institution of high learning that offers scholarships, Notre Dame has given these kids an opportunity to get a solid education that will transform their lives, and for that they get my total support. Next to Kent State right now NDC is the hottest program in northeast Ohio.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

Al,

That was well put and I couldn't agree more.

Speaking from a media perspective, NDC coach Anthony Ralph is one of the absolute best to work with and I'm certain that translates into the recruiting world.

Their connection with national power Great Bridge High School in Virginia will benefit them for many years to come.

Hauser was excellent this year and will be a career 125-pounder, a definite plus. He'll have the next five years (including the redshirt year) to build up to that weight. NDC had two All-Americans at 125 this year, junior Tyler Savage (third) and sophomore Dante Rini (seventh). I think the biggest obstacle for Hauser getting into the lineup will be from this recruiting class as Nate Westfall, another really good kid, also looks like a career 125-pounder.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

Al,
I agree with what you said abouit Brian as a person and a wrestler, but I am not all that impressed with NDC "giving him an opportunity". After all, what did they lose by this "magnanimus gesture"? If they truly have what appears to be limitless funds to use, all it cost them is some cash that they appear to have a lot of. It did not take one of their limited scholarship numbers, since they don't operate with limits. So what risk is the school taking with him, or any of these kids? They just round them up, put them in the room, the best survive, and my guess is 20 of these 35 won't be there for their junior years.

Don Bork added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

I'd bet that some of these 35 kids are just happy to be recieving aid for college which would not be available at other levels. If they are not there two or three years from now, they still recieved the benefit of financial aid. Some kids use sport as a means to an end, with wrestling not being their main agenda.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

Quote from Don Bork's post:

"I'd bet that some of these 35 kids are just happy to be recieving aid for college which would not be available at other levels. If they are not there two or three years from now, they still recieved the benefit of financial aid. Some kids use sport as a means to an end, with wrestling not being their main agenda."

I understand that. And if they use the school for that purpose, while I am not sure I like the idea of anyone using anyone else quite like that, I could see things from the perspective of these boys.

Unfortunately much of college sports is either the schools using the athletes, or vice versa.

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Right now, the school can offer an unlimited amount of cash. That will change."

Can someone explain this? I attended an NAIA school and played football there and we didn't have an unlimited amount of cash. There was only a certain amount of scholarships we had. Is it different for wrestling?

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

Actually found it. NAIA offers 6 scholarships per team:

http://www.blog.collegeathleticscholarships.net/wrestling-scholarships/wrestling-scholarships-tips-for-success/

NCAA Division II actually offers more. They offer 9. I think that is why you see a lot of NAIA teams switching to Division II, for example McKendree, Ohio Dominican, Notre Dame, Tiffin, etc.

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on July 18, 2009

http://www.captainu.com/buzz/320-naia-recruiting-learn-the-essentials-in-10-minutes

This link says 8.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 20, 2009

From what I understand, the rule for NAIA schools is that they can only use 8.0 scholarships can be used at any given time. So when Notre Dame sends their full allotment of twelve wrestlers to the national tournament, there will be a maximum of 8.0 scholarships among those tweleve wrestlers.

► Add to the Discussion