Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Fargo Updates
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on July 21, 2009

The Cadet Greco-Roman and the Junior Women's Freestyle tournaments are done. Junior Greco-Roman finishes today. Cadet Men's Freestyle begins today and Junior Men's Freestyle begins tomorrow.

Here are our All-Americans from Ohio so far...

Women's Freestyle, Junior Division
2nd place - 165 pounds: Jessica Smith - Austintown Fitch
3rd place - 109 pounds: Paige Nemec - Mantua Crestwood
4th place - 124 pounds: Katy Yoder - Beavercreek
6th place - 132 pounds: Kerstin Harmon - Lewistown Indian Lake
8th place - 153 pounds: Erin English - Beachwood

Men's Greco-Roman, Cadet Division
5th place - 171 pounds: Tony Martin - Toledo St. Francis DeSales
6th place - 145 pounds: D.J. Beauch - Toledo Central Catholic
6th place - 285 pounds: Nick Nusekabel - Cincinnati Elder

I don't think we have any wrestlers who made the finals in Junior Greco-Roman.

There are a ton of results posted on the homepage. I also put up the rosters for Cadet and Junior Men's Freestyle.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jim Mitch added to this discussion on July 21, 2009

Weigh-ins are in the morning, then wrestling starts later on Thursday.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 21, 2009

Zero Junior Greco AA's.

Check-in for Cadet Free was tonight, weigh-in tomorrow AM, and wrestling follows thereafter.

Junior Free check-in is tomorrow night, weigh-in Thursday AM, and wrestling thereafter.

Cadet Free outlook
91 - I think Tomasello will be in the running for All-American positions with a very outside chance at the title (Brad Perkins - who beat Tomasello for the FILA title - would be favored)
98 - Cortez should be in the running for AA honors as well, but expecting a title might be too much with how strong Nick Roberts is in the Olympic styles the last two summers.
112 - We have some solid kids here; however, this weight is brutally deep nationally.
119 - Squire is listed here for the competition, but one has to think this is a steep cut. However, if he can make the cut, he has a shot of winning the weight. Names to watch nationally include Dakota Trom, Eddie Klimara, Alec Mooradian, Joe Orrecchio, et al.
145 - In what seems to be a thin weight nationally, Beauch is the type of kid that could sneak out with an AA and double for the week.
152 - Range is the type of talent one would expect to do a lot in Fargo. However, looking at the weight nationally, it's going to be very tough (starting with Taylor Massa as the anchor with Dylan Reel, Issah Meade, and Cody Allala right behind).
160 - Walters could capitalize and be an AA in what isn't that deep of a weight nationally, though the top couple of kids are very talented (Jordan Thomas for starters).
171 - Between the slate of wrestlers here (Martin, Korb, Dye, Suvak), you could see at least one with an AA. Not guaranteeing which one or that it will happen.
215 - I have Tavanello as the weight class favorite, and a kid that an AA is expected from.
285 - Nusekabel and Kuhar will be in the mix for a low AA spot. However, it's heavyweight, and strange things seem to happen.

Junior Free outlook:
The big caveat here is that draw is imperative -- who do you face early, when do you get the bye (if at all). Caveat number two is that "bad" losses tend to be punished severely, because of how deep the fields are.

119 - Mitch is a Cadet and FILA Cadet AA from last year. He'll be in the mix for an AA finish. As of now, there are seven (other) kids that were nationally ranked in their weight class from 2008-09, another kid that was a Junior Free AA, and yet another that was a Cadet Free AA. The weight is deep.

125- Inghram and Incharregui could have productive tournaments, things would have to go right for them (by performance and/or draw) to get very deep towards the AA rounds. Five in this weight were weight class ranked from 2008-09, three others are top 100 recruits in the 2010 class, and two in addition were Junior Free AA's last year.

130- DiJulius could have a productive tournament, he has done that in both Cadet years despite not AA-ing either time. Six kids are weight class ranked, and you an additional Junior Free AA and a Cadet Free AA from last year.

140- Mattingly has AA'd the last two summers (Cadet 2007, Junior 2008). Both runs have been somewhat unexpected, but very legitimately earned through quality wins. The same dynamics apply this year. Six kids are weight class ranked, one other top 100 recruit, and an additional Cadet Free AA.

145 - Squire was a Cadet Free AA back in 2006, but has not been to Fargo since. His return trip puts him in the AA hunt in a very tough weight class. Six kids are weight class ranked, one other (like Squire) is a top 100 recruit class of 2010, three additional Cadet FS AA from last year, and one additional Junior FS AA from last year

160- Sulzer had two very productive years in Fargo as a Cadet (8-plus wins) without AA-ing, was OK but not great last summer as a Junior. A Central Regional champion (over Proctor), he should be in the AA hunt this year in - surprise, surpise - a tough weight. Five - in addition to Sulzer - are weight class ranked (six total). Three others are top 100 recruits. Finally, two others were Cadet Free runners-up last year.

171- Brubaker is a kid that has impressed me in this calendar year (other than his district and state tournaments). He's the type of kid you could see make a "left field" run to AA contention, he did pretty well in Greco. Again, his weight is no fun. Eight kids were weight class ranked nationally, and we have two others that were Cadet Free AA's last year.

285 - Johnson was a Cadet AA in 2007 and a Junior AA in 2008. Undefeated at Junior FS Duals as well. Will be right in the hunt for the title. Six others (plus Johnson, seven total) are weight class ranked nationally at the end of 2008-09.

As always, best of luck to ALL the competitors representing team Ohio.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 22, 2009

Josh: Thanks for the breakdown.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on July 23, 2009

Day one Cadet Fargo

Tomasello (91) is in good position to AA at 3-0. The pool should come down to him and Perkins, though Perkins (from MO) is the favorite - Perkins beat him at FILA Cadets.

Cortez (98) is 4-0, and in good position to AA. I like him to take his pool. He'll probably get Nick Roberts tomorrow night, who seeks a second Fargo double in as many Cadet years.

Though Myers (112) is 5-0, he is not in great position to AA outright. He needs one more win, and it's gonna have to be an upset - Kraisser, Devos, or Whitford.

Squire (119) is 5-0. He faces the other best kid in his pool in the next round in Eddie Klimara, from Illinois. I would say that among those left, he is favored to win the weight; as we all know, my opinion and a few dollars might get me coffee at Starbucks and that's it.

Zane Nelson (130) is 4-1, the loss to weight class favorite Tsirtsis. If he can win his next match, it is very likely that he'll get the bye next (for that not to happen, Tsirtsis would have to be upset by George of Idaho). That bye would most likely back him into AA. I think the loss to Donar is more likely than that bye not getting the AA.

Martin (130) is 4-1, also losing to an elite kid in Cooper. Win his next match, and I like his chances to AA (upsets in other positions of the bracket would have to happen for him not to).

Price (140) is 4-1, wrestling well, though heading into this week I've never heard of the kid. His position in the draw is not great though, but any time you get a winning record in Fargo, that is good.

Beauch and Prezzia are both 5-0 at 145. Prezzia clinches AA with a win in his next match. Too many variables on Beauch's situation.

Gresham and Davis are both 3-1 after five rounds at 152. If Gresham can win his next match and have Molina (NE) win as well, he would clinch AA. However, a loss he obviously doesn't; and a Molina loss makes it unfavorable (Massa would be next in looking at the bracket, and he doesn't have great points right now). Davis has a tougher match on paper, but is in the same position as Gresham where a win and one other win (from Wilson CA) seals AA for him.

Dye (171) is 3-1, and one win from AA status. Either through his win and a Peterson win taking the bracket down to four, or if Peterson loses the bracket is at five and Dye has the bye next.

Tavanello (215) is 3-0. He's my pick to win the weight.

Nusekabel is 2-1 and Kuhar 3-0 at 285. Nusekabel has the Greco champ Elor next. Even if he wins that one, still at least one win - if not two - away from an AA. Kuhar is in favorable position to AA.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on July 23, 2009

Again, Josh, thanks for the breakdown

► Add to the Discussion