Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3

Discussion Topic: Wrestling: Ohio Style
Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 12, 2009

Mr. Taylor,

As I read back over the posts, I was culpable for not answering the clear question in your first post in an equally clear fashion. I'll learn someday.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 12, 2009

Mr. Sommers,

In looking back over past NCAA "public reprimands", I see suspensions attached sometimes and sometimes not. Sometimes they are addressed to individuals and sometimes at a program. This case is the first I found in their archives of taking a wrestler (or program) to task. But I didn't research extensively or look past the last 5 or 6 years.

I wasn't surprised, but I could see the point of some of the objections raised. Afterall we have all seen WORSE actions than what Metcalf did. In fact if the myriad apologists including Mr. Sesker, had just said what Metcalf did "wasn't the worst thing that ever happened but was wrong", and dispensed with the excuses, I think it could have gone away much quicker.

I think the NCAA action was the result of a behind-the-scene agenda and was intended to send a message to folks higher-up than Brent Metcalf. I'm speculating of course.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 12, 2009

Steve: I think Sesker spent too much time reading themat.com forums and decided to stick up for Metcalf. It's easy to place too much stock in the opinions of a handful of loudmouths. We see it all the time with media figures and politicians. Anyway, you're right to note that Sesker wasn't seeing the forest for the trees (so to speak).

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on August 12, 2009

If I am not mistaken, the reason the NCAA "cracked down" on Metcalf and Iowa was because that was Iowa's 3rd warning for unsportsmanlike conduct. By rule, a team point had to be removed. If that had been their first warning, I don't think we see a team point lost. That is what I remember hearing on the brodcast.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 13, 2009

I remember the same thing about the point deduction.

Of course the public reprimand came some weeks later, generated by an NCAA (competition?) committee, and was published on their web site.

Mike Taylor added to this discussion on August 13, 2009

Quote from Steve Lester's post:

"I remember the same thing about the point deduction.

Of course the public reprimand came some weeks later, generated by an NCAA (competition?) committee, and was published on their web site."

Do you have a link to this? I'd love to see what they said. I never heard they came public and reprimanded him/them.

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on August 13, 2009

Click here for a link to the NCAA's release about the Iowa situation.

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2, 3