Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Maple Heights 1969, how great ??
Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 14, 2009

I am going to talk about Maple Heights 1969 in AWN in my column--- they are often overlooked when people talk about Ohio's all time greatest teams. Jamie Milkovich gave me some very good info.

Maple 1969 had 7 state placers out of only 11 weight classes back then -- incl 3 champs-- at a time when Ohio had ONE class and only 6 placers per class. So at state, only 66 kids placed in Ohio in 1969 compared to 336 TODAY.

Any one with an actual true anecdote to tell about Maple 1969 is welcome to post it here, in fact i'll use it if it fits.

The all time great Pat Milkovich was only 5th at the state tourn that year for Maple at 103 lb, he was a sophomore. Tom Milkovich won his 3rd state title at 127 lb that year and completed an undefeated high school career.

Oh, and coached by Mike Milkovich Sr, one of only 7 high school coaches ever inducted into the National Wrestling Hall of Fame as a Distinguished Member.

Last edited by Bob Preusse on August 14, 2009; edited 1 time in total

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Brian Nicola added to this discussion on August 14, 2009

Bob-

I started following wrestling in 1987 (when I started). However, I saw guys as early at 1985. I'd love to see a comparison between that 1969 squad and some of the more contemporary stellar teams (some of the Ed teams, SPG, etc.) Maybe even a fictional dual?

Thanks.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 14, 2009

well, only 11 wt classes then so fictional dual is out, BUT in 1969 at state only 66 kids placed in Ohio compared to 336 TODAY. Thats the story line.

with only One Class at state in 1969 in Ohio that puts Maples 7 state placers, incl 3 champs, in perspective. Quite an achievement indeed !

Jerry Des Forges added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

That is truely amazing. I always enjoy listening to Jamie speak on the history of wrestling in N.E.O. - I can only remember from the early 90's on (I am a young one I guess).

When I was at Valley Forge we used to always maintain our dual with Maple "tradition" alive- somewhat. Granted instead of filling the gym with 1,500 + we were getting around 75 for the dual. We have lost the casual fan for the sport of wrestling.

But not to get too far off topic. Bob, I look forward to the article.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

So more than 10% of the placers that year were from ONE school.

As a Maple grad, thanks for the recognition.

When I last talked to Jaime last season he was writing a history of the Maple program. Bob, do you know how that is coming along?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

"When I last talked to Jamie last season he was writing a history of the Maple program. Bob, do you know how that is coming along?"
----------------------------------------

don't know, but Jamie sent me alot of info on 1969 team, with a narrative that looked like it could be from a book.

i saw Jamie at a get-together he arranged in July for Big Mike who was up here. Many former Maple state champs were in attendance.

Jamie btw is now in his 28th season as Maple head coach, how time flies. That 28 years matches his uncle Big Mike !!

And Jamie still has a flat stomach, looks great, has enthusiasm, so he's not near done yet. Jamie and i have always got along real real well. Actually Big Mike, too, surprised he remembered me at his age, but he did.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

Bob: Jamie is not only a great coach but (and I've said this many times) probably the smartest guy I ran across in fourteen years of coaching. If I were AD at CSU, he's another guy I'd have strongly considered. Jamie was an AA at Clemson, which at one time had a terrific program stocked with Ohio guys. St Eds first major star, Tim Welch, was another stud wrestler for Clemson. Larry Vance competed there as well.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

"Jamie was an AA at Clemson"
------------------------------------------

Auburn actually-- Jamie took 5th in a wt LOADED with past and future NCAA champs, in finals Mike DeAnna lost to Mark Schultz-- tuff wt !! A former NCAA champ from NC St took 8th in that wt.

Tom Milkovich was head coach then at Auburn. U know who Jamie beat for 5th place ??? the former Ravenna coach, Steve Reedy of Kent St.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 15, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

""Jamie was an AA at Clemson"
------------------------------------------

Auburn actually-- Jamie took 5th in a wt LOADED with past and future NCAA champs, in finals Mike DeAnna lost to Mark Schultz-- tuff wt !! A former NCAA champ from NC St took 8th in that wt.

Tom Milkovich was head coach then at Auburn. U know who Jamie beat for 5th place ??? the former Ravenna coach, Steve Reedy of Kent St."

Tom seemed to have a very good thing going there until the administration pulled the plug on the program.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on August 16, 2009

Clemson, Auburn...

My steel trap mind is officially a steel sieve.

Steve Lester added to this discussion on August 16, 2009

HK,

You mentioned in the other thread about teams that fans love to hate. Maple Heights back then was the One.

I attended my first state meet in 1971. As we were settling into our seats, with the floor mats full of wrestlers actively doing warmups, suddenly boos started raining down from the stands. It took a few seconds to realize that it was a "warm" greeting for the Maple Heights' wrestlers, in their maroon colors, who had trotted out from the locker room to join the others.

I was surprised, since that was a new concept to me.

I think a lot of us will be interested in Jamie M's book. Should put a link on here for purchasing it, if things work out.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on August 16, 2009

Steve, it was a great era, and even the dual meets were a sight to behold. The 100th straight win was a sellout in their old gym and they showed the meet in the cafeteria on closed circuit to accommodate more people. Dual meets in the 2500 seat new gym were sellouts as well.

► Add to the Discussion