Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio State not going to Southern Scuffle?
Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on October 16, 2007

I see on The Buckeyes website that they aren't scheduled for the Southern Scuffle this year. Are they perhaps going back to Midlands? Hopefully, someone knows what's going to happen.

On another topic, some people have criticized tOSU for not getting Boyd or Jordan. Why would they even try to recruit them if they have Johnstone, Nemec, and Sponseller at those weights? It was just timing that prevented them from going after them. If I were Boyd or Jordan I would want to start at least a couple of years in college, and get some kind of a scholarship. I think Nemec and Sponseller will be able to beat the two Graham boys for the next few years, so I'm feeling pretty good about tOSU.

One more point. Is there any weight other than 174 that the Buckeyes should try to recruit this season? All their other weights are totally set for the next three years it would appear. Unfortunately, the 171 senior class seems a little weak this year. Maybe Keith Witt will follow his Oak Harbor brethren and compete at 174. It could be a couple of boring years at tOSU as far as recruiting goes, but exciting on the mats.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Ohio State not going to Southern Scuffle?
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 16, 2007

Chris:
The Bucks qualified for the National Duals and that's probably why they won't be at the Scuffle. I attended National Duals when they were in Columbus and Cleveland. It's a spectacular event and brings together many of the best wrestlers in all divisions.

I don't know who has criticized OSU regarding not landing Boyd or Jordan. My feeling is that Wisconsin and Michigan may have made better offers to these young men. I don't this for a fact--just a hunch. I had heard the Bucks liked Ben Jordan a lot. I'm sure they liked Boyd as well (who wouldn't?).

As to who Ohio State should recruit, I think Coach Ryan has demonstrated that he has a great interest in the best wrestlers in the country regardless of weight class. Jordan Oliver did not necessarily represent an area of need but it's obvious they felt he was so good that they didn't care. Oklahoma State has used the same philosophy in the past. Penn State also seems to recruit in this fashion (and with all the young talent in their room, it's obvious they're not offering many full rides).

Just my "take" on the situation.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

► Add to the Discussion