Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: FCA Wrestling: An open invitation to the Ohio wrestling community
Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on October 2, 2009

I wanted to extend an open invitation to the Ohio wrestling community to be involved in the mission of the new organization: FCA Wrestling. (Fellowship of Christian Athletes Wrestling).

TheMat.com recently did an article on it:
http://www.themat.com/section.php?section_id=3&page=showarticle&ArticleID=20868

Some "heavy hitters" in the sport of wrestling have been working on developing this organization for about a year. They include Olympic champions, Olympic medalists, great coaches, top athletes, wrestling organization leaders and successful businessmen who love wrestling.

It's a great group of men including the Leadership Board Members:
Jeff Pratt - Chairman of the Board
Rich Bender - Executive Director of USA Wrestling
Nate Carr - Three-time NCAA Champion, Olympic Bronze Medalist
Tim Johnson - ESPN National TV Wrestling Announcer
Sean McNamara - FCA's VP of Sport-Specific Ministry
Mark Mestemacher - Edwardsville Wrestling Club coach, Officer of Ceres Consulting, LLC
John Peterson - Olympic Champion, Olympic Silver Medalist
Dan Russell - Four-time NCAA Champion
Joe Slaughter - President and CEO of Herff Jones, Inc.
Brandon Slay - Olympic Champion
Lee Roy Smith - Executive Director of the National Wrestling Hall of Fame
Stan Zeamer - Long-time high school and college coach, President of Utility / Keystone Trailer & President of Transport Auctions

We are going to need help - a lot of help.

We have an important board meeting at the end of October that will set the course for the first few years of the organization so at this time I can't get into real specifics yet about what exact roles we will be looking for.

However, I wanted to give you as a community a "heads-up" that in general we will be needing plenty of volunteers and possibly employees. People that love wrestling and have talent and experience to serve as an administrator, team director, international director, event manager, state director, etc. could be needed. There will be a lot of opportunities.

I encourage you to take a look at the description of what the organization stands for below and contact me if you have an interest in being involved.

I can be reached at joseph.boardwine@gmail.com

Ministry Vision / Future Impact
The FCA Wrestling Ministry is for any athlete, coach, fan or friend of the wrestling community who loves wrestling and has an openness or desire to grow in their relationship with God.

What does that mean? That means that you believe there is a God and want to know more about Him. FCA Wrestling seeks to influence athletes and coaches with its values: integrity, serving, teamwork, and excellence.

During the 2006-2007 season there were 9,445 high school teams with 257,346 boys and 5,048 girls participating in the sport of wrestling. Currently wrestling is the sixth most popular sport for high school athletes. These numbers show that there is a tremendous opportunity for the wrestling world to be impacted for Christ by the ministry FCA Wrestling. There is no other organization in the country specifically filling this need and highlighting the spiritual aspect of wrestling.

If you are interested in being a part, contact me at: joseph.boardwine@gmail.com

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: FCA Wrestling: An open invitation to the Ohio wrestling community
Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

I have appreciated all the responses so far. They are really encouraging.

Continue to think about it and if you feel you would like to play a role in this organization's mission, contact me by email at joseph.boardwine@gmail.com

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 9, 2009

joe: Congratulations on this opportunity as well as all you have accomplished in our sport. Question: I read on another site that you are also the new head coach at Walsh Jesuit. Is that true?

Thanks,
Hank

► Add to the Discussion