Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2

Discussion Topic: Recruiting - Fall 2009
Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

I realize the unlikliness of the scenario but was dreaming a bit.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Bob: Are you saying there's not enough left to land a major star like Baldosaro or that they don't want to spend anymore this season?

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Quote from Bob Preusse's post:

"no more $$ for Baldasaro or any other major star this year---- given fact ohio st wants Hunter Stieber, Phillips and Campolattano next year. Not much money left now for this year.

its like going to a great buffet, but u know u cant eat all the dishes, so u make decisions."

How interested are they in Tessari?

I like Tessari a lot and think he's quite underrated considering he's never lost outside Ironman. How about this: Logan, Hunter, Tessari, and Phillips have never lost outside of Ironman.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Hank, both i think-- geting 3 kids like LStieber, Garcia & Demas cost alot, not alot left and ohio st has big plans next year too.

Demas didnt come cheap, not at all-- may be a central ohio kid but a projected 174 he was in demand by some big name schools like MN & Virginia Tech & NEB.

btw, AWN # 2 at 285 Bobby Telford from st Mark Delaware just verbaled to Iowa. Defending Beast of East champ.

"How about this: Logan, Hunter, Tessari, and Phillips have never lost outside of Ironman."
-------------------------------

yep and Dustin Schlatters first hs 2 losses came in one day at the Ironman (he later moved up 2 wts and lost in OT to Mike Miller in a dual & to Brent Metcalf in OT at Medina).

at one time it was inconcievable an Ohio kid go undefeated 4 years. Tom Milkovich undefeated in 3 & Jim Jordan one loss in 4 years-- but probably a few ohio kids would be undefeated for 4 years if not for Ironman.

ohio st maybe no $ for Tessari which is heartbreaking, may not need 2 middlewts anyway in that class, Hunter geting bigger.

Baldasaro will go to Iowa i think, maybe Mike Evans too, and its costing the hawkeyes, no more free lunch once they come east-- they paid plenty for 285 Telford. s/BobP

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Tessari - InterMat has him as the 13th best recruit in next year's class. If he wants to be a Buckeye, I think OSU needs to find some money to get him in Columbus.

Not an expert, but I like his upside more than others who may get more attention on these forums. I think his aggressive style projects well to the next level.

"If he wants to be a Buckeye, I think OSU needs to find some money to get him in Columbus."
--------------------------------

yes Tessari really broke thru at Junior duals this summer, 10 & 0. BUT what if ohio st doesnt need another middle wt?? U know they want Hunter Stieber, being Logans bro counts for something too. Collin Palmer doing well in the room i hear, Paddock might move eventually to 141---- so how many middle wts can ohio st afford ??

next year the emphasis is on 2 Super Big Guys, Chris Phillips & Andrew Campolattano, the nations top 2 juniors. Great big guys don't come around often. Phillips is from Ohio and Campolattano loves Ohio St, so how can they not go hard after them ???

not like football with 85 fulls, u like an extra O-lineman or DB or WR, then u offer him a full even if u already have what u need. Wrestling very little $$, have to use sparingly. s/BobP

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on October 14, 2009

Bob - I hear ya, and understand your point. When I look at a top 15 national recruit, though, I am of the belief you can stray slightly from needs. Why? Because nothing is garuanteed in the recruiting game. Palmer, Paddock, Hunter, et al, are great, but with injuries, attrition, who knows what can happen.

Plus, I look at Tessari as someone who could be a 57/65 down the road. I'm wrong a lot, though.

"Because nothing is garuanteed in the recruiting game. Palmer, Paddock, Hunter, et al, are great, but with injuries, attrition, who knows what can happen."

Ethan, point is u cant spend too much money on same wts, once youve spent its share on those wts u cant go on spending. U have to attend to the other wts and just LIVE WITH what u recruited because NOW U OWN IT. Cant worry about injuries, attrition, u work with what u paid good money for and live with your decision.
----------------------------------------------

"Plus, I look at Tessari as someone who could be a 57/65 down the road. I'm wrong a lot, though."

Ethan, Garcia is ohio states future 165, thats why they brought him in. Tessari 157 i don't know ? Nemec will man that wt for next 3 years. Bottom line they only got so much $ and they have to spend it on HunterS and cant pass up the 2 super Big Guys.

If u aint got the $, u aint got the $. Theres always more great middlewts coming around--plenty of them-- but the great Big guys are rare.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 15, 2009

My ideal lineup looks like this in a few years:

125: L Stieber
133: Paddock/H Stieber
141: Paddock/H Stieber
149: C Palmer
157: Tessari
165: Garcia
174: Demas
184: Phillips
197: Campalattano
285: Hiles/Whoever

Obviously, that means a HUGE next year--but maybe, just maybe, it's possible that they get all 3 Monroeville guys and Camp. Honestly, Camp would just be a very pleasant surprise to me; I imagine he will be able to go wherever he wants...

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 15, 2009

Baldosaro to Iowa, with Dziewa too! They also have Nick Moore, Jake Ballweg, and Bobby Telford in that class. Great group.

Ohio State picks up Hunter Stieber for c/o 2011.

Iowa State has signed an ungodly number of kids; then again, they basically had a two person class in 2009 - Beard and Weatherman.

Dardanes twins go to Minnesota (Nick the top 20-30 recruit nationally).

Ben Golden added to this discussion on October 16, 2009

Why is Nick Dardanes ranked so high but his brother not ranked? You would think twins would be quite comparable. I wonder if his brother started wrestling later in life or what...

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 16, 2009

They say Dziewa and Baldy to Iowa.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 16, 2009

looks like i was right so far, we will see about Mike Evans still. Iowa or Missouri i hear.

bobp previously said "Baldasaro will go to Iowa I think, maybe Mike Evans too, and its costing the hawkeyes, no more free lunch once they come east-- they paid plenty for 285 Telford."

► Add to the Discussion

Page Previous  1, 2