Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Blair Academy's Max Huntley commits to the University of Michigan
Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 28, 2009

Max Huntley to Michigan now.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Blair Academy's Max Huntley commits to the University of Michigan
Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 28, 2009

Hmmm, well at least that helps to make 197 more attractive to Andrew Campolattano at Ohio State.

Marlo Stanfield added to this discussion on October 29, 2009

What about Phillips, I've heard that he's leaning towards Michigan.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 29, 2009

Ugh, I hope that's not the case. Otherwise, Michigan seems to have picked up some good picks the last few classes. Ohio State had let so many local powers cherry pick the best talent out of the state, we've got to stop it.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

I was told last year by somebody very close to the situation that Phillips would wait until his senior year to make that decision and not before.

Gary Sommers added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"Ugh, I hope that's not the case. Otherwise, Michigan seems to have picked up some good picks the last few classes. Ohio State had let so many local powers cherry pick the best talent out of the state, we've got to stop it."

Can't you realistically only have so many guys? Not like the days of Woody just stockpiling players so no one else would get them.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

I think the BigTen is still the power in wrestling, but, from what I can tell, there seems to be a shift (and to me not too odd of one) to the ACC.

Schools like Virginia and VaTech have always had their wrestlers, but I can see teams like Maryland (just won the ACC...that's twice in 2 or 3 yeas!), NC State and even North Carolina making strides soon as well.

Maryland has been hurt by defections, though. They recently had Eric Medina quit the team- that hurts big time. They need to stop that if they want to advance to what they can become, although they do have a lot of promise.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

I just checked onto freehuddle.com and clicked onto the WIN mag article on Stieber.

From there I clicked on to the WIN magizine front page and look what I found.

http://www.win-magazine.com/Archives/v16%20archives/v16i1%20stuff/ACCVSPAC10.html

I almost mad emention of the fact that the Big XII only has 5 wrestling schools, but then remember the ACC has it's fair share of non-wrestling schools.

Add to it that Oregon, ASU and many of the Cal schools have recently dropped (and in a few cases, reinstated) the wrestling, wrestling seems to be moving towards regional rather than national.

Oh well... off to actually read the article.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

simple calculation, figure how many AAs per school, will show Big 12 (aka Big 5) usually has the most and Big Ten the next most.

ACC helped tremendously by new qualifying system, more than DOUBLED their quals, they got way more than deserved under new system.

Maryland took 10th at NCAA 2009, N Carolina st tied Kent st for 18th, ACC had no others in top 30.

maybe some power shift to ACC -- Maryland, Virginia Tech & maybe Virginia are making strides, NC state is pretty good-- but nothing to threaten Big 12 or Big 10, not even close. Maybe in 10 or 20 years, but not right now.

Sorry to say it, but beyond Caldwell, NC State is not a very good team. They just beat The Citadel 21-18- not exactly a ringing endorsement. Also, I looked down their roster and other than Caldwell, it's a bunch of "Who's that".

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on November 13, 2009

Maryland, VTech, and Virginia are programs on the rise. Good coaching and solid commitment from administration. UNC could be a good program with the right environmental changes made. NC State is a ways away, while Duke doesn't provide the finding necessary to be relevant.

I disagree with the assertions that the ACC was unfairly given extra slots. Those slots were earned based on performance. I would say that the ACC was underrepresented previously -- while leagues like the EWL, West Regional, and Pac10 were living off their past laurels getting kids to the tournament that were not viable.

Remember that this past year's tournament had the toughest first round in many a year - close matches, high seeds going down - in part because every kid in the tournament was a legit qualifier (more or less).

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

A lot of eastern wrestling schools have improved due to timely coaching changes. We're seeing the re-rise of Lehigh plus MD, Virginia Tech, ODU. Rutgers seems promising. Out west, we've got Mark Branch doing good things at Wyoming and ASU moving forward again. Unfortunately, most of the west coast teams are mediocre. And, of course, wrestling is more or less non-existent in the south.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 14, 2009

certainly its true EWL & a couple others were living off its past, this is the one area where new system is no doubt superior.

but ACC was NOT underrepresented in past, only had 5 -- a measly FIVE-- AAs at last NCAA tourn!! Big Ten had 30.

ACC didnt do anything at NCAAs in past, thats why they had only 14 or 15 quals the last year under old system, it was due to their non-performance in round of 12 at NCAA tourn year after year after year.

has anyone figured out ratio of AAs to # of quals per conference in 2009? i havent done it for last NCAA, but have done it for some other years. Big 12 and Big 10 have had easily the best ratio # of AAs per # of quals received, and ACC was at or near bottom of list.

EXAMPLE, i just glanced:
... in 2009 Big 10 had 30 AAs by my quick count, ACC had 5 AAs.
...Big 10 had 72 quals, ACC about 30 i think (anyone know exact number?).
...So ACC got approx 6 quals for each AA -- Big 10 got a bit less than 2 1/2 quals for each AA.
...Conclusion: ACC got way more than they deserved compared to Big Ten based on actual performance.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on November 15, 2009

ok now i got EXACT figures to work with, my quickly derived numbers in the previous post were very close so it doesnt change the conclusion at all: ACC last season got Way More NCAA Quals than they deserved based on their actual performance, i.e. # of AAs.

Denny Diehl, the Pennsyalvania college wrestling expert who works the NCAA head table every year, provided me with his worksheet-- from that worksheet are these facts:

....ACC: 32 Quals produced 6 AAs, so they got approx 5 1/2 Quals to produce one AA.

....Big 12 (aka big 5) got 42 Quals and produced 14 AAs, so they did much better than ACC with it only taking 3 Quals to produce one AA.

...Big Ten: 71 Quals produced 28 AAs, so it took only 2 1/2 Quals to produce one AA-- this past season Big Ten outdid the Big 12 even.

...Both Big Ten and Big 12 had much better ratios than ACC, as usual -- if ACC were held to the Big 12s ratio, it should only have received 18 Quals, not 32.

...If held to Big Tens ratio of 2 1/2 Quals per AA, ACC should have recieved only 15 Quals which is exactly what they were geting under the old system.

...Conclusion the same, the numbers don't lie, ACC got way more than they deserved--- and Big Ten & Big 12 are still easily the best despite the large number of Quals these 2 conferences get per team, they produce the AAs most efficiently per number of Quals. s/BobP

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next