Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Ohio State announces Wrestle-off Lineup
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 19, 2007

Ohio State Wrestle-offs
Thursday, October 25 - 8:00 p.m.
St. John Arena

125: Nikko Triggas vs. Pat Harrington
133: Will Livingston vs. Reece Humphrey
149: Lance Palmer vs. Tyler Meek
157: Sean Nemec vs. Brendan Beucler
165: Colt Sponseller vs. Ross Ambrose
174: Alex Picazo vs. Tommy Priestley
184: Mike Pucillo vs. Wes Bergman
197: John Weakley vs. Zack Weinrich
285: J.D. Bergman vs. Corey Morrison or Eric DiAgosta

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Steve Lester added to this discussion on October 19, 2007

Johnstone vs. Nemec?

This was probably answered last year, but the winners are not necessarily the starters, correct?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

Steve Lester: Johnstone is working through an injury but will most likely be back in late Nov./early Dec.

Concerning the wrestle-offs...you are correct. They are not used as the one and only decider in who is the starter.

125: Nikko Triggas vs. Pat Harrington - IMO will be one of the more ntertaining wrestle-offs of the night. Harrington has looked very good over the last few weeks and his win over Shaeffer, by some teammates accounts, was an upset. If not an upset and pleasant surprise.

133: Will Livingston vs. Reece Humphrey - Best wrestle-off of the night GAURANTEED!!!!!!!! This will be worth the price of admission. Will "the Thrill" Livingston is a new wrestler with the added 8 pounds. Great movement on his feet along with stellar D make for sold nuetral position. Worker on bottom and is a bear on top. This is where he could win the match. The Hump...well, he's the Hump and you have to respect that. Great match for sure.

149: Lance Palmer vs. Tyler Meek
157: Sean Nemec vs. Brendan Beucler
165: Colt Sponseller vs. Ross Ambrose

All three of these should go to the first name listed. Nothing against their opponents, but these three are wrestling on another level. They are a very good nucleus of a team and an excellent heart of a line-up. Add in AA J Jaggers, and a (soon-to-be!) AA at 133 and things could be looking up for the next two years for the Buckeyes!

174: Alex Picazo vs. Tommy Priestley - This will be one of those matches that showcase varying styles of wrestling. Picazo is power and Preistley brings an element of finesse. W2W4: Priestley's cradle...it is lethal. He locked it up in his challenge match to seal the victory. It was tight.

184: Mike Pucillo vs. Wes Bergman - Pucillo. Be sure to tally the success rate of his front headlock...if he slaps it on, he'll score 92.4568973561278651% of the time (according to the Vegas odds).

197: John Weakley vs. Zack Weinrich - Another interesting match. John "I will eat you" Weakley is learning a great deal while at tOSU. Most of his goes are either with Mike Pucillo or Coach Thatcher. He almost looks as if he could explode at any second...sometimes he does, usually resulting in 2 to 5 points, and sometimes he doesn't. Weinrich's tough. Very good movement for a big man. That will be his key to a victory: if he stops, Weakley will eat him.

285: J.D. Bergman vs. Corey Morrison or Eric DiAgosta - Saturday was the wrestle-off between Morrison and DiAgosta. I'm interested to know who won. But, then again, they will be wrestling J.D. who seems to be a different wrestler at 285. We'll see how things go.

See everybody at St. John's Arena!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

Mark:

Thanks for the updates on Buckeye wrestleoffs. I thought I was the only person to think Will Livingston had a ton of potential. I liked the way he wrestled last season esp. on the mat. He should eventually make a fine 133. While I understand why the Bucks had interest in Jordan Oliver, I think Livingston will take over at 133 next season and do well.

As to the 285 spot, what has gone on at this weight class? Supposedly, Jesse Campbell was the guy that one would have expected to emerge as the challenger to Morrison--not DiAgosta. Did DiAgosta beat Campbell?

Yes, Hank. DiAgosta and Campbell wrestled off on Thursday. Going into the 2nd period both were very winded and some how, Campbell was either turned to his back or ended up there by a series of moves, and got pinned. Both took a LONG break afterwards.

One thing I fogot to mention about the wrestl-offs...the new singlets! Last year they had red and white ones. This year they added a cobalt-type, metallic-type silverish grey color...and it is sweet!!!

Also, for those of you heading out this coming Thursday...the new schedules - you know? the posters with a picture and the schedule...I got me a couple. Pretty snazzy! I like'em.

Mark:
Next question. I knew Johnstone was recovering from an injury...but what's the situation with Enright? Was he beaten by Livingston?

No, no, no. There are currnetly three 133 pounders. Enright, Humphrey and Livingston. It is my understanding that Livingston will red-shirt. (That ans a nickle won't get you anything these days!) T.J.'s weight is fine. I only mention that because it seems to be the general consensus on other forums that he can't make weight.He told me to certify, he had to be at 141. He said he made that weight with ease and then, when he was tested, the doc said he certified. There was no slow response, fudging of numbers or anything like that. He stepped on the scale, got measured, did "other" things and passed. It is currently the knee that seems to be ailing him. But again, if you know anything about DI BigTen wrestlers, it won't stop him.

Quick story: When Enright was at tOSU camps this year, he had trouble bending his knee for a basic knee-over toe. After he expressed this, some of the campers said he was lying because they just saw him working out, drilling and wrestling around a bit. Enright's answer was classic..."I can't knee-over-toe but I can still sweep single, snap-down and shuck-by!!!" I wanted nothing more than to scream "Hell yeah!" There were kids there who's parents paid a lot of money for them to learn and participate at the camp and they were busy goofing off or sitting in the corner nursing an injury!?! That is the same injury that didn't stop them from playing dodgeball earlier????????????????

So, are you saying that Enright will not wrestle off yet as he's recovering from injury?

As for Livingston redshirting, Coach Ryan has consistently stated that the best wrestlers will start. It seems likely he will (redshirt). But if he were to win the wrestleoffs and the coaches believed he was their #1 option, he'd start.

Enright...that's exactly what I'm saying.

"the Thrill" - I'll have to discuss the matter with tNDG.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Re: Pucillo front headlock series. I wish some of the other wrestlers would pay attention to Mike. It used to drive me crazy when they would get the headlock after a failed leg attack, and basically hang on, do nothing, and wind up stalemating in that position. When Mike gets it, I just can't wait to see which move he'll use to score with from that position. My favorite is his far knee-pick-to-a-cradle move.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Mark: Let me know who won Morrison v DiAgosta when you find out. Also, what does tNDG stand for?

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

I hope Enright ends up being okay hate to see a Sr. miss his final year with an injury like that. It seems like Enright knee has been bothering him for sometime now hopefully resting it for wrestle-offs will do him some good.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Will do, Hank.

tNDG is sort of a play on tOSU. But in reference to Tom Ryan it means the Next Dan Gable. And that, as it turns out, is a play on what someone mentioned on another forum. He (overzealously) stated that with this crop of freshmen choosing to be Buckeyes, Tom Ryan either may have or has solidified himself as the next Dan Gable. Those who were a bit more in the know were quick to point out Gables accomlpishments as both a wrestler and a coach. I seriously doubt that there will ever be another Gable, but in the mean time, we will jokingly crown Tom Ryan as tNDG and who knows, Coach Ryan and Co. might take it as a challenge and win 8 BigTen titles in a row and only 5 National Championships over the next ten years!!!

<sign_oh>

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

I was at the practice before the home game at OSU and the preliminary wrestle off between Morrison and DiAgosta went on with Morrison winning, I thought a score of 9-2 (someone correct me if I'm wrong). Correy was the aggressor consistently pushing DiAgosta around a bit and getting in some nice shots. It appeared as if DiAgosta might have been dinged up a little bit as he appeared to take many breaks for minor injury types throughout the practice.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Nicholas, sorry to have had to miss that practice. I love those morning goes. They are incredibly intense. Thanks for posting.

Hank, did you get that?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next