Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1993 D1 State Finals - 112: Wineberg (Miamisburg) v. Quimbaya (Southview)
Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 8, 2009

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDtkE9bHu1A

Here you go!

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: [Video] 1993 D1 State Finals - 112: Wineberg (Miamisburg) v. Quimbaya (Southview)
Eric Jaynes added to this discussion on November 8, 2009

Wineberg was great at controlling close matches and coming out on top. I would like to see his 4th title match against Shawn Rocky. I think I remember it going into overtime. He has also done a good job as a coach at Miamisburg turning that program around.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 8, 2009

Ahh, Mr. Wineberg. That's good stuff. Johnson (Walsh) vs. Enright (Lebanon) and Musser (Walsh) vs. Vaughn (Iggi) is on that tape too. Can we expect those?

Mark...we need to get together to swap some more tape, or are you done posting with the season starting up? Let me know.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 9, 2009

Quote from Michael Rodriguez's post:

"Ahh, Mr. Wineberg. That's good stuff. Johnson (Walsh) vs. Enright (Lebanon) and Musser (Walsh) vs. Vaughn (Iggi) is on that tape too. Can we expect those?

Mark...we need to get together to swap some more tape, or are you done posting with the season starting up? Let me know."

I would love to see either of those. Johnson's controversial win over returning state champ (moving from D2 to D1) and eventual NCAA runner-up Enright. Vaughn beating of Musser his junior year and denying him a chance at 4 title was classic. The fact that Vaughn beat him several times that year speaks to how good Vaughn really was.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 9, 2009

Michael: I'll do everything in my power to get one video up a week. I told GOhio I'd like to get them on for "Monday Memories".

I'll look for those two matches.

Quimbaya was up 2 - 0 to start the 2nd...any idea how he got the assumed takedown? Scrammble? Flury? Defense? Offense? Willie spotted him!!!!!!!!! Just razzin'. Relax.

Doug Brandt added to this discussion on November 9, 2009

Quote from Scott Nicola's post:

"

"Ahh, Mr. Wineberg. That's good stuff. Johnson (Walsh) vs. Enright (Lebanon) and Musser (Walsh) vs. Vaughn (Iggi) is on that tape too. Can we expect those?

Mark...we need to get together to swap some more tape, or are you done posting with the season starting up? Let me know."

I would love to see either of those. Johnson's controversial win over returning state champ (moving from D2 to D1) and eventual NCAA runner-up Enright. Vaughn beating of Musser his junior year and denying him a chance at 4 title was classic. The fact that Vaughn beat him several times that year speaks to how good Vaughn really was."

Vaughn was injured in the war in Iraq. He was honored by the University of Illinois wrestling program in 2004:

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-wrestl/spec-rel/120804aaa.html

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 9, 2009

Mark...Johnson/Enright was the 130-pound match and Musser/Vaughn was 135. Both great bouts. The Johnson/Enright match was a great contrast in styles with Johnson being the takedown artist and Enright being very tough on top. If I remember correctly, there was a last stalemate call bt none other than Reed Reigle (I don't know how that guy every got to work the State Tourney), that probably cost Enright the match.

If you put up 130 next week and 135 the week after, we'll be right up against Thanksgiving. I can bring some stuff to the "Super-Srimmage" and we can swap there? If you need exra stuff before then, I'm pretty sure Bill Lacure (152) and Roderick Franklin (160) are on that tape as well.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 9, 2009

"Mark...Johnson/Enright was the 130-pound match and Musser/Vaughn was 135. Both great bouts. The Johnson/Enright match was a great contrast in styles with Johnson being the takedown artist and Enright being very tough on top. If I remember correctly, there was a last stalemate call bt none other than Reed Reigle (I don't know how that guy every got to work the State Tourney), that probably cost Enright the match.

If you put up 130 next week and 135 the week after, we'll be right up against Thanksgiving. I can bring some stuff to the "Super-Srimmage" and we can swap there? If you need exra stuff before then, I'm pretty sure Bill Lacure (152) and Roderick Franklin (160) are on that tape as well."

I agree with Enright and Johnson being a contrast in styles but let's not forget that in addition to being slick on his feet, Jimmy Johnson was very good from the top position. BTW I also thought Enright deserved to win the match. Is it the year Lacure beat Sean White from Mayfield in the finals?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Johnson v Enright was a classic state finals bout. Ref called a stalemate just as Enright appeared to make the adjustment that would have gotten him a takedown. He lost the match by two.

Jon Vaughn was one of my favorite hs wrestlers to watch. Brutal hips. He just punished anyone that shot on him his junior and senior seasons. I remember watching him crush Raheem Whitaker in the state finals when Whitaker shot in. Another time, Vaughn caught Cleve Heights talented Jerome Jones when he shot in and flung him across the mat like a rag. Vaughn was amazing on top and with the defense.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Johnson v Enright was a classic state finals bout. Ref called a stalemate just as Enright appeared to make the adjustment that would have gotten him a takedown. He lost the match by two.

Jon Vaughn was one of my favorite hs wrestlers to watch. Brutal hips. He just punished anyone that shot on him his junior and senior seasons. I remember watching him crush Raheem Whitaker in the state finals when Whitaker shot in. Another time, Vaughn caught Cleve Heights talented Jerome Jones when he shot in and flung him across the mat like a rag. Vaughn was amazing on top and with the defense."

My brother had the unlucky experience of being launched by Vaughn in freestyle at the Sports Festival. Vaughn and Pete Nathanson had a great match there that Nathanson won. Come to think of it, what ever became of the Sports Festival?

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

It died... Along with the Huddle! I kid, I kid.

What was this Sports Festival you speak of? I've never even heard of it.

Michael Rodriguez added to this discussion on November 10, 2009

Don Horning crushed me at the Sports Festival in '91.

Nicholas Sestito added to this discussion on November 11, 2009

It's good to see all these wrestlers you only hear about and never saw. Keep the videos coming =)

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 11, 2009

Quote from Nicholas Sestito's post:

"It's good to see all these wrestlers you only hear about and never saw. Keep the videos coming =)"

Don't worry...They'll keep coming. Bitter makes me do it.

he he he...

John Fayette added to this discussion on November 12, 2009

Since going to Miamisburg Coach Wineberg and staff has done a great job. I appreciate all he has done with my boy. Some say he was boring to watch, but they only say that cause of the tough matches he was in. He had a great offense and was a well rounded wrestler.
By the way, did you folks know he just had a baby girl about a month ago? She is healthy and doing well.

► Add to the Discussion