Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Synopsis of the Oklahoma Gold Tournament at SUNY Brockport
Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 18, 2009

125 pounds:
Pat Harrington beat Nikko Triggas 8-3 in the consi semis. Should this be looked into or taken as a sign? Should Triggas move up to 133, which I think might be his optimal weight, and it would also allow for Paddock to redshirt.

Opfer was wrestling well before injury defaulting. He and Harrington beat Vinny Dellafave of Rutgers, who was highly regarded coming out of HS.

133 pounds:
Paddock wins 9-5 over Jordan Thome (kind of to be expected) before losing to Mitcheff in the semis. He hammered Kyle Fluke of Edinboro before beating Thome again for 3rd place. Good tournament for him, and for Thome to finish 4th. He beat Alex Ekstrom of Oklahoma U in the consi semis- which is a giant win. Ekstrom was AWN's #2 senior at 135 behind David Taylor, a 4x NY State champion and 2008 Junior Nationals champion.

You have to love seeing Mitcheff do well- as I said earlier, it would be great to see him on the podium to end his career. Good tourney win for him here.

141 pounds:
Reece wins, dominating all matches until beating Zach Bailey 5-3 in the finals.

Skonieczny was a match away from placing. A couple of good wins, and then lost to some tough guys. Clymer stuck him, but Clymer is a pinner.

149 pounds:
Palmer wins here solidly- pin, injury default, 9-1, and 2-0 over Terry of OU, who is ranked pretty high.

Kusar fell to Terry in the first round, won a couple of wrestlebacks, then lsot to Torsten Gillespie- who is a dangerous, accomplished wrestler. No shame there. You don't want to get majored, but that is another thing.

Tommy Sasfy continues to wrestle very well for Kent as he was a match away from placing. Is this the same wrestler who got hammered by Hightower in the Brecksville finals last year? Kent looks like they have a diamond in the rough here.

157 pounds:
Nemec gets third here- losing in the semis in the tiebreaker. He beats Mallie Shuster 6-0 in the third place match. Finals were Chad Terry and Shane Vernon- both Oklahoma wrestlers.

165 pounds:
Sponseller is 2nd to defending national champ Jarrod King- losing 8-5 in the finals. Sponseller had multiple wins over King last year, and I would have liked to see a win here from him. Perhaps the momentum is still rolling for King, but I see Colt as the better wrestler.

Ross Tice is third here, good showing.
Eric Gobin is 6th, beating Obie Simpson in the match to place.
Sli Bostelman is knocked out of the tourney by teammate Ross Tice.

174 pounds:
Rella gets second, losing 5-2 to Jeff James of OU. He beat Dan Rinaldi in the semis. I would have liked to see a W over James, but James is tough.

Casey Newburg of Kent put together a nice run through the consis before falling a match short of placing, including knocking out OSU's TC Pendleton.

Keith Witt made the semis before falling 4-1 to James. He stumbled to 6th after that, being pinned in his 5th place match. Still a good showing for the RS Frosh.

184 pounds:
The Kilgore-Pucillo match has been discussed, so I won't go into it too much. You have to feel good for Kilgore, though. Pucillo will be back.

Ian Daube got 5th- the same Ian Daube who DNP at Ironman last year after being pinned by Kyle Kwiat of Tiffin Calvert.

197 pounds:
Adam Cogar is 3rd in a deep weight. He was knocked out of the championship bracket by Magrum in a 3-1 OT match, then beat Magrum by that same score, OT and all, to get 3rd. Cogar is going to be a stud.

Zach Stolarsky was 0-2.

285 pounds:
Corey Morrison was 4th- a good performance. He made the semis before being pinned in the last :30 by Russo, the eventual champion. He then lost the 3rd place match to Nathan Fernandez- who just beat Rosholt. Solid showing for Corey.

Barlow got 5th, losing in the quarters to the eventual runner up. He wrestled back to the consi semis before losing 3-2 to Morrison. He then beat Hiles for 6th. Hiles lost his first match, and toughed his was through the wrestlebacks before falling to Fernandez, then Barlow

I would say solid tournaments for all three 285s.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Sorry- just checked and I was wrong. Kwiat beat Daube in the championship bracket at Ironman last year. Daube then ran into Chris Phillips in the match to place, and obviously lost.

John Ice added to this discussion on November 18, 2009

Triggas move up and Paddock redshirt? Would that be a good thing?

I have thought since some time in the middle of last year that Triggas was pulling too much weight to make 125- at least it seemed that way to me. I don't think moving up would hurt him at all- and it would allow a talented freshman a year of learning. Of course, this is all contingent upon Harrington beign able to be a solid spot in the lineup. He hasn't been that good to this point in his career- but he did just beat the starter. Perhaps he has turned the corner.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 18, 2009

Fluke beat Triggas last year 6-2, and Paddock "hammered" Fluke last weekend, so I'm not sure Triggas could beat Paddock in a wrestle off. And if Ryan says this year they have to make a run at the National Championship, I think he goes with the best guys. If it's Paddock, so be it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on November 18, 2009

Triggas arrived in college with great top skills but not the same level of ability on bottom, neutral nor defending. He's shown promise at various points in his career but never won consistently against good opponents. I thought he was turning a corner last season when he beat Futrell and Watts in Big Ten action but he just can't stay consistent. He looks lost this season. Is it the weight cut? Is it the failure to develop better skills? Is it a lack of desire to continue competing in college? Has he simply aborbed too many losses and no longer has confidence? I don't know the answer. It's up to the staff to figure it out. I will say this: I find it difficult to imagine that Nikko Triggas would move up to 133 and suddenly look like a new wrestler. I'm certainly rooting for him and hope he and the coaches can figure it out.

In the meantime, Pat Harrington did one great thing last weekend. He showed promise.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on November 19, 2009

Good discussion fellas. Good synopsis of what could be going on with Triggas Hank. Triggas has had inconsistency early in the year before but has scored points for the Bucks the last 2 years at the NCAA Tourney. Can Harrington be that kind of contributor or more for Ohio State? Harrington was a 2xer out of hs and has been in the Ohio State room as long as Niko. Is it possible that he has just has a steeper learning curve?

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 19, 2009

Hank, you summed up Triggas pretty well. If I had to guess, I would say the weight cut, on top of wrestling year round for the past couple of years, as well as the losses and perhaps not living up to expectations, may have just burnt him out. I think he could benefit from a redshirt and moving up a weight- just like Schlatter did last year. However, we might be best with him in the lineup, and this is your last crack at it with Pucillo, Rella, Palmer, Humphrey, and Morrison. You have to think Ryan really want to make a run at the title, especially with as close as they came last year.

IMO, if this wasn't a title run year, it would be best to sit him. Ryan may not have that luxury, though.

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on November 19, 2009

http://www.flowrestling.org/videos/coverage/view/235945-2009-oklahomabrockport-open

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on November 19, 2009

Pucillo VS Kilgore Finals @ Brockport

http://www.gohiocasts.com/

► Add to the Discussion