Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: Kent State dominates at Body Bar Invitational
Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 22, 2009

This is a huge showing for the Golden Flashes. Finishing first, ahead of #4 Cornell and #10 Maryland, is a big boost for this team before the Thanksgiving holiday.

Kilgore now has wins over Pucillo and Leblanc in the early going. Mitcheff takes first in another tourney. Plus, Cathell has a pretty successful first weekend as a Golden Flash.

http://cornellbigred.com/news/2009/11/19/WREST_1119090747.aspx

http://intermatwrestle.com/articles/5905

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mike Hojnacki added to this discussion on November 22, 2009

Wow... they won convincingly too. Lots of pins from what I saw.

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

Did #3 Cornell or #10 Maryland hold kids out of the body bar becuse they are going to have a dual this week? or is #18 Kent that good? Go Flashes! If you have insight please let me know.

Christopher Henderson added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

Cornell was missing Nickerson. I don't know if he is injured. Maryland seemed to have all their main guys. I thought they were a little overrated to begin with.

Kent State is looking really good for the next two seasons. Bedelyon will probably redshirt this year and come back at 33 next season. All they need to recruit is a 149 and they're set. Go Flashes!

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

KSU wrestling very well. It shouldn't diminish the W, because you wrestle who they throw out there, but this is my count of ranked wrestlers missing from the two:

Cornell was missing the following:

Nickerson - 1st at 125
Dake - 8th at 141
Kerber - 10th at 165
Arnone - 12th at 285

Maryland was missing the following:

Bell - 8th at 133
Krom - 4th at 141

Don't know the line ups well enough to know if other starters were missing.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

When I saw KSU had scheduled Michigan this year, I thought they were in over their heads, but now I don't think so. I wish it wasn't on the same day OSU wrestles Edinboro, because I would love to be there. Should be some great matches. I noticed Kellen Russell isn't in the lineup?? That's gonna really hurt them.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

For Maryland- the loss of Eric Medina stings badly.

Pat Costilow added to this discussion on November 23, 2009

Ohio kids-

125-
Kyle Gilchrist (Jefferson Area/Columbia) 2-2- okay results but not great for a kid who won like 5 matches at the Midlands last year.

Troy Opfer wrestled very well- getting third by beating Joe Waltko- the same Joe Waltko who was the Ironman runner-up to David Taylor at 135 last year- good win there. He really is wrestling quite well.

Steve Mitcheff- 2-2, losing to 2nd placer Michael Martinez in the champion bracket, and then James Knox (4th seed) in the consos. They were both high seeds, so you can't call it too dissapointing, but I do expect him to be very good, so it would have been nice to see him do better.

133-
Mitcheff wins another tourney. Too bad runner up Smith of Buffalo beat Mike Grey (what a win there), because I would have liked to see Mitcheff wrestle him.

Sean Collins (Coschocton/KSU) goes 1-2.

Jordan Thome goes 2-2 after his great tournament last week.

141-
Chase Skonieczny gets second in a nice effort. He didn't beat any "names" but it is a nice showing.

Marcel Clopton went 2-2, lost his first round match and then won 2 wrestlebacks before losing in the to the top seed.

149-
Tommy Sasfy (Reynoldsburg/KSU) went 1-2- kind of a letdown after his very solid performances the last couple of weeks.

Matt Cathell makes his KSU debut (that I am aware of) with a solid runner up finish. Matt Kyler- one of the top few 149s in the country- stuck him in the first period in the finals. I would like to see Cathell give him a tougher match, but I don't know the match circumstances leading up to the pin.

157-
Mallie Shuster takes 3rd- losing in the semis to the eventual champ. Good showing for him.

165-
Eric Gobin (Moeller/Army) lost his first round match before winning three nice wrestlebacks.

Ross Tice finished 3rd. He lost to eventual champ Asper of UMD in the semis, then won a wrestleback to make it to the third place match, where he received a med. for. from Obie Simpson.

Simpson made the semis before being Stuck by Civan, the runner up. he won a conso and then forfeited to take 4th.

Sli Bostelman won his first match before being knocked into the conso bracket, where Gobin beat him.

174-
Casey Newburg went 1-2.

Keith Witt made the quarters before being majored by 4 seed Weibel. He won two consos before falling in the consi semis and finishing off with a 47 second pin in the 5th place match. Solid showing from him.

184-
Kilgore with another huge win here. He beat the solid Bosak of Cornell in the semis before beating Joe LeBlanc of Wyoming in the finals- the 5th place finisher at NCAAs last year. Does it surprise you?

Not an Ohioian- but nice showing for Peltier of Maryland/Blair. He finishes 4th here, going 4-2 with LeBlanc in the semis. He wrestled 165 last year, at least at times.

197-
First off- Hudson Taylor is an animal. He pinned his way to the finals and then beat AA Cam Simaz 7-2 there.

Cogar has an up and down tourney. As the fourth seed, he loses his first round match to unseeded Kocher of Cornell. After winning 3 wrestlebacks in a row, he again lost to Kocher. He then beat Callender of Drexel to finish 5th.

285-
Barlow wins, beating Gilmore of Maryland in the finals. Nice showing from him.

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

Congrats Flashes, nice showing even if Cornell and MD held some studs out, KSU is still on the rise.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

Quote from Zebulin Miller's post:

"Congrats Flashes, nice showing even if Cornell and MD held some studs out, KSU is still on the rise."

I love how Kent is on the rise. I was thinking about next year the other day (I know, this year has barely started, but I can't help myself). They will have Bedelyon, Cathell, Shuster, Kilgore, and Barlow all challenging for AA spots. Throw in solid guys like Opfer/Steve Mitcheff (133), Cogar, Tice and whoever else I may be missing and you've probably got a top 5-7 team.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

What if KSU won a national championship before tOSU did!?

Mark Palumbo added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

You are 100% correct. You can only wrestle the guy they put infront of you. I was hoping both teams were 100% so Kent would shot up the rankings.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

Quote from Ethan Moore's post:

"KSU wrestling very well. It shouldn't diminish the W, because you wrestle who they throw out there, but this is my count of ranked wrestlers missing from the two:

Cornell was missing the following:

Nickerson - 1st at 125
Dake - 8th at 141
Kerber - 10th at 165
Arnone - 12th at 285

Maryland was missing the following:

Bell - 8th at 133
Krom - 4th at 141

Don't know the line ups well enough to know if other starters were missing."

Kent State was also missing an All-American in Bedelyon. Though he is probably going to red-shirt this year.

Ethan Moore added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

Agree, with Bedolyn they are even more dangerous.

KSU looks loaded and has great depth. They are set up for success for several years.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on November 24, 2009

Quote from Mark Niemann's post:

"What if KSU won a national championship before tOSU did!?"

Mark, did you end up leaving JJHuddle or did you pay the $12?

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next