Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Findlay's Recruiting Class
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 21, 2007

I just checked their roster and their group of incoming frosh popped my eyes a bit. They brought in 11 high school state placers including state champ Matt Clum, 2x runnerup Mike Lybarger, 3x finalist Josh Falk, and 3x placer Jeremy Espinoza.

Other recruits of note:
Nicholas Weisjahn 2x Indiana placer, Andrew Vasquez Texas placer, Jan Ulinski state placer, Nate Scherer 2x Indiana placer, Ryan Thatcher state placer, Cody Ruffer 2x state placer, Derrick Hill state placer.

For those of you with short memories, Shawn Nelson is the head coach at University of Findlay. In his first ten seasons, he coached 9 National Champs and 47 AA's. His teams have finished in the Top Ten at their national meet on 8 occasions.

Breaking down those numbers: He averages a national champ a year and nearly half his squad places at nationals.

That's a heckuva recruiting class for a coach with such a potent track record.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Matt Tyrrell added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

It looks like wrestlers across the state are noticing those stats you pointed out because that class is outstanding especially considering the resources Findlay has at their disposal (very few as far as scholarship dollars). I wrestled for Coach Nelson and I find it hard to believe there are better coaches out there. Now that I am a head coach (Galion HS), each year I have Nelson do a camp for my wrestlers and he is an outstanding clinician as well.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Is Sean Dong (Detroit Central Cathloic) still on the team? That guy is lights out!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Mark--Dong is on the Findlay roster.

Matt--When the OSU job came open, I offered the opinion that Coach Nelson deserved an interview.

Two of the best D1 coaches, Tom Borelli at CMU and Brian Smith at Mizzou, were both at small college coaches, did well, got a shot and made the most of it.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Look at the last time Ohio State hired someone from a small college. Jim Tressel from Youngstown St. and we can't argue with those results so far. I think Nelson would be a great fit at DI school that would give him an opportunity to coach there. Look at what he has brought to Findlay in the past years alone, he could do the same easily at a DI school with more resources.

John Flanigan added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Quote from Dan Ransick's post:

"Look at the last time Ohio State hired someone from a small college. Jim Tressel from Youngstown St. and we can't argue with those results so far. I think Nelson would be a great fit at DI school that would give him an opportunity to coach there. Look at what he has brought to Findlay in the past years alone, he could do the same easily at a DI school with more resources."

Not knowing the man, he may not want to do that. Many coaches enjoy where they are at, so would bypass the chance to go to a D-1 program. Not saying this is the case, but there is always that possibility.

Doug Noel added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Bad thing is the Oilers only have 3 home matches all year. Almost need the planets to line up correctly to be able to see them.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Doug--the university nickname is "the Oilers" while the wrestlers are referred to as "the roughnecks." Can you (or anyone else) explain this discrepancy?

Matt Tyrrell added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Think about it...what would you rather be called? It is something that John Jeffire started - not sure how it came to be, but I'm sure glad he did. Seriously, there is a lot of pride in that name.

Matt Hammons added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

The program needed a new face when Coach Jeffire took over. He started with a depleted roster of 7/8 kids and took them to small college National Championship (1995) in just 7 years with minimal resources. Being the literary genius that coach is, "Roughneck" seemed a perfect fit for the program and that tradition has stuck!!!
(check out his award winning novel at johnjeffire.com)

See below:

rough·neck [ruhf-nek] –noun
1. a rough, coarse person; a tough.
2. any laborer working on an oil-drilling rig.
3. to work as a roughneck.
An uncouth person.
A rowdy.
A member of the crew of an oil rig other than the driller.
a cruel and brutal fellow [syn: bully]

Dave Ressler added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

I was fortunate to wrestle for Findlay back when it was a college. (yes we were called the oilers) Eventhough I left Findlay after two years I continued to follow the program and I was thrilled to see the program reach the highest level under Coach Jeffire. I'm glad they continue to be a quality program under Coach Nelson. Every year I look forward to the "reunion" at the state tournament when I get to see the guys I was on the team with as fellow coaches and referees. Good call in changing the nickname. Good luck this season.

Dave Ressler
Findlay College wrestler 1986-88

► Add to the Discussion