Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Watch This! (Tony Jameson video)
Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Tony Jameson puts on a show against an overmatched opponent at the Super 32.

http://www.flocasts.org/flowrestling/coverage.php?c=110&w=weights&v=145&id=5287

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

That 3rd TD was amazing. <excited> I've never seen anyone "hurdle" over a guy after a headsnap. This kid is going to be fun to watch at OSU. He reminds me a little of Keaton Anderson who used to throw his body around like that. Very acrobatic.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Jameson has some unreal ability that just can't be taught. The diving over the headsnap took me by total surpise. He seems like this year he has gotten a little more physical too which will only make it worse on opponents.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Jack: Funny, I thought of Keaton Anderson as well while watching Jameson. Anderson was better on top but Jameson is far more athletic and has more talent on his feet.

Dan: Jameson has wrestled a number of tough kids this preseason. Looks to me like he's trying to establish himself as a potential #1 nationally. His biggest problem during this season will be boredom. Other than Spicel, there's really no one that can give him a match.

Last edited by Hank Kornblut on October 22, 2007; edited 1 time in total

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

Hopefully we'll see Jameson at Ironman. Jameson has always said he wants to face the toughest competition in the nation. So far he has done just that wrestling both Johnston and Peppleman both are some of PA's best wrestlers.

Jameson will be a great addition to the Ohio State lineup.

I think that Jameson will do whatever it takes to make sure he gets great matches this year. I would love to see him and Boyd tangle this year or him and Jordan.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 22, 2007

I got back on Flowrestling and watched the finals match. Very interesting scrambles. It almost looked like Jameson pinned himself by hanging on to the leg during one of the scrambles. But he also seemed to get the upper hand in 2 of them, even though no TD was called. Seemed to run out of time in the 1st when it appeared he was getting control and possible back points. But those are the types of scrambles that are common in college. I've seen college matches where the positions he was in, holding the opponents shoulders to the mat, albeit in an awkward position, would have been considered control & a TD w/back points. Great match, though.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Jack:
I watched a few of Jason Johnstone's matches on video last season and he never got points in similar situations. I asked "refman" Fred Feeney about some of these situations. He called these scrambles "spaghetti wrestling" and stated that good officials won't give points most of the time unless there is clear cut control. I agree that it looked as if Jameson was in trouble in that one scramble. But Johnstone had his mich. State opponent in the same situation and was never awarded points. Feeney watched the video and told me the non-call was correct.
Personally, I agree that it appears control has been gained. Evidently, that's not how the refs see it.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

I was at that Mich. State match and was screaming for the points!! along with all the other Buckeye fans. That was the night Enright beat Simmons. The crowd was really pumped up. Exciting match. I'm just glad we landed Jameson.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Jack:
In my estimation, he had control as well.

In addition, college wrestling has a big problem. Top man can sometimes end up in these positions and it's obvious he hasn't maintained control. Yet, if the ref doesn't award at least an escape to the bottom man, it counts as riding time. This isn't riding!

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Refresh my memory, but in the NCAA finals, this year or the year before, didn't Askren have his guy in a similar scramble with Ben sort of holding the oppponents shoulder down with his leg (while the guy was still holding it) and got the TD and back points?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Jack:
I'm 44. Ask me the name of the girl that sat next to me in Third Grade and I remember. Ask me to quickly give the dates of my children's birthdays and I struggle. That's my way of saying I don't recall.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Askren did have a similar situation but he did have control and held him for backpoints.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Jack:
You're correct. It was against Jake Herbert in the 2006 NCAA Final. I remember that well because of my reaction of "wow!" Ben Askren is absolutely amazing to watch. Tony Jameson is one of the few I've seen that is truly of that ilk. Tony wrestled a great match and did what he had to to win. That said, if I was the referee in the instance of the second time he was caught under Peppelman, I would have scored it as 2+2 for Peppelman. It was a tough call, though.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

That's the match I was thinking of. Plus usually if you can get the ref to call a TD, the guy hanging on usually bails out since the ref is counting, which seems to move the action along. But it sometimes can be a real "gray" area with a lot of flip-flopping of positions.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 29, 2007

Bump, Bump

► Add to the Discussion