Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: John Hiles is a Buckeye
Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

John Hiles the DII state runner-up last year at heavyweight has just commited to wrestled at Ohio State. This is a huge pick-up (no pun intended) to keep the best heavyweight in the state and one of the top heavyweights in the nation in state.

Ohio State has got the best 140/145, 189, 285 in the state and all are among the best in the nation at their respective weights.

Congrats to John and his family on this great accomplishment.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

tNDG does it again!

<sign_oh>

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Mark,

What does tNDG mean? I am a little slow on the lingo of the internet at times.

Jameson, Magrum, Hiles all commited that is a nice recruiting class and will make the Buckeyes so much tougher in the years to come.

Gino Iacoboni added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

I think he means The Next Dan Gable

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Dare I dream of the day: Triggas, Livingston, Jameson, Palmer Bros.(I'm just dreaming, now) Nemec, Sponseller, Magrum, Weakley & Hiles <rolleyes>

Brendan Moody added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

In a perfect world you could add Taylor to that list. My only concern is the log jam with Jameson and the Palmer bros (if Collin would decide to go to OSU). It is a nice problem to have, but still a problem.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Hiles is an excellent pickup for Ohio State. I look for Hiles be a dominant figure this year at 285, with his only major challenger being Graham junior Adam Walls. Based on his build, I think Hiles can be potentially more mobile than the good group of heavyweights of last year's class (other than Wade). Hiles also excels in Freestyle and Greco-Roman, which will make him well versed in different heavyweight styles and year-round training he will encounter as a Buckeye.

Congrats to John and the Buckeyes.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

tNDG = the Next Dan Gable <thumbsup>

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Congrats to John Hiles and family.

We are proud to see a former Junior Stallion joining the Buckeyes.
(John placed 2nd in 2003 and 3rd in 2004 at the Jr. High State for our team)

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

First, congrats to John Hiles. I'm thrilled when the hard work of any young man in our sport is rewarded.

But...a question.

The Bucks currently have three true frosh hvys in their room. Is Hiles so talented that he will be an improvement on this group?

Also--Corey Morrison may be undersized but after the first few rounds of wrestleoffs he is clearly the #2 guy behind Bergman. If Morrison redshirts this year, he'll have two years of eligibility left. And Zach Weinrich could move up to 285 after this season. He and Morrison are supposed to be close in ability.

I love the depth but Hiles will have to be a very hard working young man if he's to have an impact on the OSU lineup.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Thats the great thing about Ohio State now they have depth in almost every weight. I think the days of having a 4 year starter at almost every weight are done for. If you are a 3 year starter or a 2 year starter that would be a great accomplishment there now. There is power in numbers and you can never have too many big boys to wrestle with in the room.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

I would say that the Buckeyes are gaining depth in every weight class as opposed to already having it. 125 and 133 have good depth and good talent in that depth. In order to find anything like 133 it would take you to 285. ...maybe 197 to find it. Only one wrestler at 141, 149 as Palmer and one other kid. 157 does have two stellars but one is working through and injury and at full strength is undersized by about 8-10 pounds. 165 is pretty much Sponseller. 174 has some interesting players but I don't think the quality is as much as 133. 184 is again basically one guy but when it is Mike P. who else do you need. 197 is Weinrich and Weakley - please do not eat me!!!

The argument becomes quality versus quantity. Having 38 wrestlers on a DI BigTen roster is nice, but having 26 out of 32 wrestlers that could start AND earn AA status is quite another. Quality vs. Quantity.

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

It could be argued that Humphrey and Enright provide depth at 141.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Scott, would you agree that if one were to add depth at 141 you would lose something at 133?

If you were to move one up, which would it be? My guess would be Enright because I am unaware of what the Hump weighs. But even then, would you see T.J. in a similar situation as Johnstone...that being a bit undersized?

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

I think excellent points are being made about depth. One other point--Johnstone could probably get back down to 149 in an emergency. I think that Humphrey, good enough to start--and possibly he will--is a great insurance policy for 141. Livingston can be of service at 133 as well. The problem is 165. I don't know what happens if/when Sponseller needs a break.

One thing about D1 wrestling--injuries happen all the time. Bucks have a real issue in the 165-174 range. The recruit they really needed was Roddy.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next