Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next

Discussion Topic: AWN's Preseason Top 40 Teams in USA
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 23, 2007

Amateur Wrestling News: "Prep 40" Preseason Poll
Bob Preusse
November 2007

1. Blair Academy, NJ
2. St. Paris Graham, OH
3. Oak Park, MO
4. Apple Valley, MN
5. Waverly-Shell Rock, IA
6. Lakewood St. Edward, OH
7. Montini Catholic, IL
8. Iowa City West, IA
9. Glenbard North, IL
10. Clovis, CA
11. Poway, CA
12. Carl Sandburg, IL
13. Christiansburg, VA
14. Caesar Rodney, DE
15. Bishop Lynch, TX
16. Wyoming Seminary, PA
17. Central Dauphin, PA
18. Brandon, FL
19. Easton, PA
20. Roseburg, OR
21. Bishop Carroll, KS
22. Rockford, MI
23. Troy Christian, OH
24. Northampton, PA
25. Hastings, MN
26. Colonial Forge, VA
27. Providence Catholic, IL
28. Don Bosco, IA
29. McDonough School, MD
30. Jackson Memorial, NJ
31. Catoosa, OK
32. Flathead, MT
33. Broken Arrow, OK
34. Parkersburg, WV
35. Canby, OR
36. Chicago St. Rita, IL
37. Wisconsin Rapids, WI
38. St. Mark, DE
39. Kaukauna, WI
40. Camden Catholic, NJ

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Given the pre-rankings for the two Ohio big guns, this could make this year's Graham/Ed's dual a doozy!

I stated two years ago that I thought Graham would win by Ben Jordan's senior year. Could they make me a prophet worthy of praise or a liar fit for stoning!!!???!!!

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Easy Cruiser...

A prophet fit for praise... NO, but maybe someone will send you a Mr. Brisket!!!!

I was surprised not to see a team from PA until #16....

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Leo: You wouldn't happen to know when and where THE dual will be taking place this year, would you?

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

I was just told it is 10:00am on Dec. 15th at St. Eds... This comes straight from Nicole in the Athletic Dept.

52 days 22 hours and 52 minutes!!! <thumbsup>

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

"Given the pre-rankings for the two Ohio big guns, this could make this year's Graham/Ed's dual a doozy! "

Yes SPG has never beaten st Eds yet in a dual--- but ha, ha here is the irony, it may NOT take place . SPG is at st Eds for thier Elite 8 Duals on Dec 15th, thats the only time--- its st Eds turn to host the dual but SPG said we are only coming to your place once.

But # 3 Oak Park Missouri there too, if SPG the # 1 seed, then st Eds will have to beat Oak Park to meet SPG in the finals. Would be huge day for st Eds if they beat both, but Oak Park is loaded and i think learned from their humbling "experience" there a year ago.---- st Eds would meet Oak Park late in afternoon Saturday Dec 15, the finals would be 7 o'clock Sat night between that winner and SPG.

quote from November 2007 issue of AmWrNews:

"No. 3 Oak Park Missouri had a dream team on paper last season, but several key injuries and tough road trips to both the St. Edward Elite Duals and Iowa City West Lepic Duals did them in, but they still ended up No 15 in the nation. This season with good health the Northmen of Oak Park could have the season many thought they would have last season. Once again they will be tested at the St. Edward duals and at the Iowa City West duals.

A top freshman steps in at 103 for Oak Park, Cody Brewer was a fargo cadet freestyle third placer and also placed in Greco. Returning for Oak Park are state runnerup at 112 Cody Tyler, state runnerup 125 Zach Binteff, Fargo cadet national freestyle champ 130 Mac Bailey, state runnerup 140 Joe Green, two time state champ and Fargo All-American 145 Dylan Joiner, state champ 152 Roy Hall, state third placer 171 Marcus Amato, AWN. No 2 at 189 Brent Haynes, state runnerup 215 Kolton Kono, and AWN No. 2 heavyweight Elijah Madison."

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

St. Paris Graham is definitely the favorite to be the #1 team in the state this year.

I would, however, argue that Marion Pleasant could be better than Troy Christian. I think Troy Christian would have an edge in a dual, but Marion Pleasant would in a tournament... and it's great to be talking like this about D3 teams!

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Dan,
i have Troy Christians lineup, it graded out pretty high, high enough to be top 25 for sure --and they have done fairly well at the Ironman the last couple years so i know they are legit, 14th last year ahead of Lakota West, the 2 Colorado teams, Parkersburg W Va, and ahead of most of the Penn teams too. And TroyC didnt lose alot and got 2 good move ins, the Jones brothers at 160 & 189. They lack a 285.

re Marion Pleasant, i know Demas left. Can u give me their lineup, let's see how they look ?

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

DC-
I think you might have it backward with Pleasant and TC. Pleasant might be able to beat TC in a dual because of their depth and some of TC's holes. However, in an Ironman environment, TC is light years better - five viable scorers to two (Sergent, Hancock, Thome, Toal, Jones vs Moore and Wilson). I would also pick TC at Brecksville, and at the state tournament.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

Troy has some power scorers on that team. I think they could beat Pleasant in a dual and in a tournament situation especially like Ironman and Brecksville. With Pleasant losing Demas that hurts some of the big scoring potential. I tend to agree with Josh here that they just have Moore and Wilson for big points this year.

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 24, 2007

You know what? You're right. When I tallied up the returning district power points from last year, both Marion Pleasant (minus Demas) and Troy Christian both ended up with 69 and I figured that with 152-285 scoring big points at the state tournament, Pleasant would be right with Troy Christian, or maybe even surpass them... but... that wasn't including TC's addition of Nathan Jones. Josh Demas would have been an equalizer but since he's no longer at Pleasant that's not an issue and yes, Troy Christian is the favorite in a dual and in a tournament.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

I would love to see Graham and Blair dual this year. Graham is simply loaded with talent all over the board. Next year they will be even tougher with the incoming crop of freshman including Martinez and Stephens.

I think Graham if they face Eds this year will finally get the better of them with the experience and depth they have on the team. Graham is being anchored by Taylor, Jordan and Boyd as the leaders of the team. They also have Neibert who looks like he is rapidly emerging as the best 119 in Division II and would be much more powerful than anyone Eds has at 119.

Bob
What does Blair have in terms of depth and talent this year besides Mason and possibly Valles that could knock off Graham at Ironman. Also if Graham wins Ironman does that make them # 1 automatically in your book?

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

"Bob, What does Blair have in terms of depth and talent this year besides Mason and possibly Valles that could knock off Graham at Ironman. Also if Graham wins Ironman does that make them # 1 automatically in your book?"
-----------------------------

Dan,
Blair and SPG look to me about even in talent, Blair lost alot--- not quite as much as st Eds but alot: great 215 Platt, stud 130 Kelen Russell, and excellent both 135 Shanaman and 145 Medina.

However, Blair re-loads with New England champ Sean Boyle transfering in at 112, great freshman John Guzzo perhaps at 140, and NY state 5th placer Ben Krakower at 189. Returning are studs Villalonga perhaps at 119, Valles perhpas at 125, Mario Mason at 145/152, and a good 171 Peltier and 285 Hanson. Several other starters return too.

If the Ironman winner doesnt lose the remainder of thier schedule i would have to conclude that team is # 1--- can never exclude other teams in other areas of the country, but it adds up that Ironman champ if he goes unbeaten the rest of the way is # 1.

Beware Dec 15 st Eds Duals, # 3 Oak Park Missouri is there with SPG & st Eds and is loaded too.

Josh Lowe added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

Oak Park is loaded, and I'm sure will be gunning for Graham after falling just short in MULTIPLE matches last year. I don't know if they have enough across the lineup for Graham.

103 Cody Brewer - Cadet double 3rd @ 91
112 Cody Tyler - state 2nd @ 103, split matches with Waters in-season
119/125 Zach Bintliff - 5-2 at JN FS 119
130 Mac Bailey - double finalist CN 125 *probably wrestled in my match of the year last year, vs Longstreath at St Eds*
140/145 Dylan Joiner - JN FS AA 140
160 Ray Hall
171 Marcus Armato
189 Brent Haynes - JN double AA (I think he doubled last summer, going off memory)
215 Kolton Kono - I assume he's back
285 Elijah Madison - 2x JN double AA

BLAIR
103- Deutsch (maybe Silver or someone else)
112- Boyle (was very close to an AA at JN FS 112, off memory I think he beat Morrison - eventual champ - in the pools (put it this way, he beat an AA))
119- open ended
125- Anthony Valles
130- Chris Villalonga/Joe Stanzione
135- Joe Stanzione/Garrett Frey/Austin Ormsbee
140- Ormsbee/John Guzzo
145- Mario Mason (could be 152)
152- Jesse Shanaman
160- Adam Hogue/Carter Lorant
171- Cory Peltier
189- open
215- open
285- Kyle Hanson

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

u forgot Blair trf from NY state 5th placer Krakower will be at 189, so that wt not open----

u forgot state runnerup for Oak Park, Joe Green at 140 or so --- gives OP at least 11 guys who range from good to outstanding , not a bad lineup ---and i think they will benfit from last seasons disappointment at st Eds Duals, where SPG whipped them. SPG had just come from Ironman and was battle tested. Like many good teams their first time in st Eds gym, OP did not understand the intensity level they needed to have.

Dec 15 will be interesting to see if st Eds can beat OP in order to meet SPG, otherwise thier annual dual wont happen.

in only its 2nd year the st Eds Elite 8 Duals doing well, wouldnt the NHSCA Final Four love to have either SPG, or Oak Park, or st Eds-- and also Poway California who has a very good team this season. (some fans were quick to criticize a year ago, but what else is new ?)

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2  Next