Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Ohio Needs another Wrestling Program
Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

I don't post much on here, but I've thought about this for a long time and just recently discussed it with the Groveport coaches during the Marion Harding Tournament. Just wanted to see other people's thoughts and opinions...

What is it going to take to get a program started at Ohio Dominican University in Columbus, Ohio?

Why has it not happened already?

If you look at it's location, it is simply perfect. I compare it to Notre Dame College except that ODU is now making it's move into NCAA DII.

Very few central Ohio wrestlers have many options if they want to stay home for school. Ashland is the closest DII school to Columbus and that's still a decent drive. They can attend tOSU and possibly get lost in the shuffle or they can go to schools 1.5hrs or more away. Also, there are no D3 schools around.

What do you think?

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Tony Bradberry added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

There are rumors that this could be happening in the next couple years, with talk it may already be in motion.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

I believe the success of ND college has stemmed from the ability to get the NE talent thus allowing them to thrive. I think it would be great for ODU to get a team as it would be a step in the right direction. It would be a great option for central and even southern ohio kids to come and wrestle.

Mike Leedy added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

I think that sounds great. I was thinking the same thing only, for NWO. We have Findlay and the Tiffins but, since BG and U of Toledo dropped their programs in the 80's and 90's, there have been no role models at the next level for the kids. Toledo use to hold the World Cup and that city will be lucky to send 1 kid to state, out of the 7 public schools.

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

As I mentioned is the discussion, I think, if nothing else, it gives that second level guy something to shoot for around his backyard.

I'm trying to think of a wrestler that was good but not DI, BigTen good, all the while, he wanted to continue wrestling AND stay close to home.

I'm sure there are some. I'm just trying to make the connection. Any names that would fit this bill?

Scott Nicola added to this discussion on January 5, 2010

What is the story behind the demise of Capital Wrestling? Was it a title 9 casualty or something else?

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 6, 2010

Scott, as a former Cap wrestler I can tell you that the reasons have never really been clear. Money was blamed but a wrestling room was in the original plans for the Cap Center. Coach Simpson was under the impression that they were going to have the new facilities and move forward with building an annual nationally ranked DIII team. The rug was pulled out from under him without warning and it was completely ridiculous the way the whole thing was handled.

So I guess that doesn't really answer your question, but I don't think anyone, even Coach Simpson can clearly answer your question. Very sad, very sad.

Kevin Petrella added to this discussion on January 6, 2010

Mark, How about me?!?!?! ha

Mark Niemann added to this discussion on January 6, 2010

Kevin, if you fit the bill, then consider yourself a candidate for a Panther. Make a list. Use that list when approaching a board or panel. Show them - sell them - that there IS a market!!!

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 7, 2010

All three of the Petrella boys would have been excellent as Panthers. Kevin actually graduated from ODU except he played football. Tony is wrestling DII right now for Gannon and (fingers crossed) can AA this season as a redshirt junior. Vincent goes to Ohio State but his athletic careers are over.

Other names that come to mind would be Chance VanGundy (AA for Ashland,) Dugan Bentley (AA for Ashland,) Herb Pinkney (AA for Ashland,) and several recent and current Buckeyes would have been excellent DII wrestlers but may never make the line-up at tOSU. Some of these guys don't care and just want to be a part of what is going on at tOSU but they would have made a very solid DII team.

Joe Boardwine added to this discussion on January 7, 2010

Scott or Kevin, shoot me an email.... maybe I can help connect you to the right people who could talk to ODU about the possibilities.

joseph.boardwine@gmail.com

► Add to the Discussion