Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next

Discussion Topic: Cleveland State University's Wrestling Program
John Ice added to this discussion on January 16, 2010

Anyone know the status of Jordan Keller? Have not seen much from him lately.

Add to the discussion and quote this      

John Ice added to this discussion on January 16, 2010

CSU loses 37-10 against American U and 44-4 to Indiana. I hope they can get things turned around soon.

Mark Ciccarello added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

do u really think they can turn things around. they have two wrestlers who have been consistent this year.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

The CSU administration has always been convinced they are a basketball school. The spend their resources on that sport and have a good season once every ten years. In the meantime, not only do they try to run wrestling on the cheap, but they squander one of the better fan bases in the nation.

When CSU is competitive--whether during the heyday of Bonacci or Effner's early years--it's not uncommon for them to draw over a thousand fans for a dual. Indeed, i've been to Woodling gym many times and sat among these crowds. How many schools nationally have been able to draw 1200 fans to a D1 dual with some regularity? Very few outside of PA, Iowa and Oklahoma. CSU wrestling has a great fan base when it's got a team worth watching.

Instead, the administration has allowed the program to wither, hiring the underqualified Stehura and giving him too little with which to work. It doesn't help that this coaching staff brought in a boatload of frosh that are not serious D1 prospects.

CSU wrestling needs an athletic director that recognizes a little more money towards quality coaches would result in a competitive program. Until that occurs, they're going to remain one of the worst programs in D1.

John Ice added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

It wasn't that long ago that people where asking what is going on down in Athens. OU seems to have things headed in the right direction. CSU needs to figure things out quickly. A strong recruiting class is a must.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

I just have a hard believing CSU will ever be able to draw top flight talent to that campus. The administration doesn't seem to care about the program and they can't get the horses to go there.

Kent State has now entered as a legit option for many NE Ohio kids and Ohio kids in general. They have a plan and have the backing to go with that plan.

OU is finally getting things rolling down there. Will be even better with Lang and Johnson in the lineup next year. Having Ryan Lang as a coach there now is huge for them especially in those middleweights and I think it's paying off this year with Lindsey and everyone really hitting full stride.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

Dan and John: Imagine if Erik Burnett had been hired as head coach rather than Ben Stehura. He's respected throughout the state and runs arguably the second most prominent youth program in the state. Don't you think he'd be able to convince some good kids to stay put? If he called Cam Tessari--who's he's coached for years--and said I want you on a full ride at CSU, don't you think Tessari would give it serious thought? How many more kids would consider CSU as a result of his presence?

Kent and OU have always recruited well. But this is Ohio and there's a lot of talent. Neither of those programs is the reason that CSU is terrible. It's the lack of administrative support that kills CSU. Bring in a coach that is both competent and a good recruiter with a solid reputation and CSU would rebound fast.

Jamie Teel added to this discussion on January 17, 2010

Im not sure Erik would have been interested but I think it would have been intiguing. Im not sure how many top notch recruits would go to CSU but I have heard Jamie Clark on at least 3 occasions make the statement he would have followed Erik if he took the Elyria Catholic job. It certainly couldnt be any worse and it definatly would have peaked interest within the wrestling community. Unfortunatly, I don't see a light at the end of the tunnel for CSU!

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"The CSU administration has always been convinced they are a basketball school. The spend their resources on that sport and have a good season once every ten years. In the meantime, not only do they try to run wrestling on the cheap, but they squander one of the better fan bases in the nation.

When CSU is competitive--whether during the heyday of Bonacci or Effner's early years--it's not uncommon for them to draw over a thousand fans for a dual. Indeed, I've been to Woodling gym many times and sat among these crowds. How many schools nationally have been able to draw 1200 fans to a D1 dual with some regularity? Very few outside of PA, Iowa and Oklahoma. CSU wrestling has a great fan base when it's got a team worth watching.

Instead, the administration has allowed the program to wither, hiring the underqualified Stehura and giving him too little with which to work. It doesn't help that this coaching staff brought in a boatload of frosh that are not serious D1 prospects.

CSU wrestling needs an athletic director that recognizes a little more money towards quality coaches would result in a competitive program. Until that occurs, they're going to remain one of the worst programs in D1."

Hank:

I agree with you that CSU needs to change strategy, as they have the potential to be a National Power in wrestling. First they need to hire a well known Ohio coach, with D1 experience and the ability to sign the top kids. Next they need to fully fund the team so they can compete with the other three Ohio D1 teams, who I believe are all now fully funded. CSU sits in the Northeast Ohio hotbed of wrestling and should be able to keep many of those wrestlers close to home and family. With an equal situation in coaching and funding, there is no reason why they can't compete annually with Ohio State for being the best D1 team in Ohio.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

Ken, et. al:

Do you think CSU picked up the phone to call Tom Rowlands, Lou Rosselli or Joe Heskett when the job last came available? I'm sure they didn't. But why not? There are roughly 80 D1 head coaching positions in the nation. Quality people would come to CSU in a second if the administration showed an interest. Quality wrestlers follow quality people. I recognize that CSU is not an easy sell to recruits. then again--have you ever been to Edinboro? Hardly an oasis. Eastern Michigan gets some solid recruits and that's in "lovely" Ypsilanti. My point--it's possible to get good kids to go to CSU. Indeed, Jack Effner did it initially. I don't know why his momentum stalled but he did a very good job for many years.

I have nothing against Ben Stehura personally. But when the Vikings hired Effner, they got a former 2x D1 AA who had been a successful D1 coach. In Stehura, they got less on both counts. Doesn't mean he can't coach. But the move reeked of hiring on the cheap by the CSU administration.

I don't know how good CSU could be (unless they hired Terry Brands--then they'd become a national power). But there's no doubt they can be competitive nationally and within their conference if they followed the more natural path of strengthening their wrestling program. Instead, they chase hoop dreams (and draw crappy crowds considering all the attention paid to this program). For a fraction of the money, they could have a good wrestling program.

Dan Ransick added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

My question is how could you sell a top notch coach or assistant to come there and be the head coach? You would have to think that when a coach came there they would get a bad vibe right away and not want to deal with the problems that exist there.

A guy like Burnett wouldn't go there. He would lose money going there just like Jordan would if he would to take a college job. I think that it has to come from the top down starting with the administration.

Find someone that cares about wrestling then let it trickle down and have them sell the vision to the coaches and then on down the line. That is the way you would make the program successful.

Ken Ramsey Sr. added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

Quote from Hank Kornblut's post:

"Ken, et. al:

Do you think CSU picked up the phone to call Tom Rowlands, Lou Rosselli or Joe Heskett when the job last came available? I'm sure they didn't. But why not? There are roughly 80 D1 head coaching positions in the nation. Quality people would come to CSU in a second if the administration showed an interest. Quality wrestlers follow quality people. I recognize that CSU is not an easy sell to recruits. then again--have you ever been to Edinboro? Hardly an oasis. Eastern Michigan gets some solid recruits and that's in "lovely" Ypsilanti. My point--it's possible to get good kids to go to CSU. Indeed, Jack Effner did it initially. I don't know why his momentum stalled but he did a very good job for many years.

I have nothing against Ben Stehura personally. But when the Vikings hired Effner, they got a former 2x D1 AA who had been a successful D1 coach. In Stehura, they got less on both counts. Doesn't mean he can't coach. But the move reeked of hiring on the cheap by the CSU administration.

I don't know how good CSU could be (unless they hired Terry Brands--then they'd become a national power). But there's no doubt they can be competitive nationally and within their conference if they followed the more natural path of strengthening their wrestling program. Instead, they chase hoop dreams (and draw crappy crowds considering all the attention paid to this program). For a fraction of the money, they could have a good wrestling program."

I agree with you that it was probably a money situation, because they interviewed highly qualified candidates. Most highly qualified coaches with aspirations to succeed, would want the program to be fully funded or at least close to it.

Bob Preusse added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

"My question is how could you sell a top notch coach or assistant to come there and be the head coach?"
---------------------------

CSU could sell itself, after all how many Div I head jobs are there? about 88 only-- alot of good assistants out there across the nation want a head job even if they eventually have higher aspirations.

No way CSU not attractive if they wanted to make it attractive. In a good conference too, the EWL, it could sell itself with a little help. Make me AD, i know i could sell it, its not rocket science. s/BobP

Tim Courtad added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

I coached there one season back in 2001-2002. There was a lot of talent in that room back then. We only lost 3 or 4 dual meets and were one of the top 3 teams in the EWL. There are a lot of kids that want to compete on a division 1 wrestling team. CSU makes it affordable for local kids to get an education and not have to pay all of the room and board prices. I believe with the right coach CSU could be a top 25 program. They are building the campus and offereing more to student life there than ever before.

All you need is a couple of blue chippers that want to stay close to home and your right back in the mix. Let's hope the administration isn't just trying to run the program to the ground so they can drop it.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on January 18, 2010

Bob and Tim: Thanks to both of you for your excellent insights.

Dan R: It's a money issue. They don't want to pay much for a head coach. Increase the pay and watch the program improve.

► Add to the Discussion

Page 1, 2, 3  Next