Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Referee (allegedly) places hand on wrestler's neck while breaking up a fight
Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

Obviously we don't know the underlying story, but REALLY!! This wasn't even close to NOT being on his throat.

The wrestler's coach does a great job of making sure his kid doesn't come back at the referee.

Anyway, check it out.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aIKEfQakvk4

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Discussion Topic: Referee (allegedly) places hand on wrestler's neck while breaking up a fight
Jeff Sitler added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

This post was from Fred Feeney'S on the NFHS site about this, he has two posts
The first:
I know this referee very well. Stayed at his house last week after a college match. We have been friends for close to 20 years.

What you don't have is...the rest of the story. The reason its not shown is that the "reporter" knows this part was the story. That wrestler was going to fight the other kid, Rick stepped in to break it up, and his hand was on the kids chest. As the kid kept trying to move forward, Ricks hand goes to the throat, and yes it LOOKS bad, but you have to see the whole thing. Rick is sorry it happened, wished it hadn't etc. The Michigan Athletic Assoc is looking into it and will inform Rick if there are any sanctions or not.

This was the second:
In defense of Rick...I havent seen the rest of the video...but was told by someone who was there that Rick stepped in to stop the potential fight and his hand was on the kids chest...it then slipped up for a few seconds to the neck...not good, but one has to look at the ENTIRE sequence of events. We don't officiate in Kodak moments. On the other hand...if we are going to watch video...we need to see the whole thing.

I was "skewered" a few years ago when Metcalf got pinned and it wasn't until a lady emailed me a picture she took, that Matref0 posted on mat.com, that showed him clearly pinned, did the heat come off.
We are all big boys, and I surely can stand the heat....but if you are going to pound on me...know the WHOLE story.
Again...no excuses for Rick...he knew after he messed up but it isn't as bad as it looks.

Now my own take, yeah it looks bad, but anybody can tell that is a snippet of the event and that is a REACTION to very clearly an ACTION.

Roe Fox added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

IF he is breaking up an imminent fight I'm not sure I care where his hand is. Doesn't look like he is choking him. Those situations just call for separating the two as quickly as possible as they can get quickly out of hand.

Scott Shaw added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

It is obvious that this is a reaction to something, but the slipped up from his chest defense doesn't fly and even if it did, it doesn't excuse it. I am not questioning the officials character (Feeney says he is ok, he is ok) but his judgement was off. Way off.

Sidenote, the wrestler is as much to blame as the official.

Leo Zimmer added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

I am gonna agree with Roe on this one.

If he breaking up a fight (or a potential one), I don't care where his hand is. He obviously didn't hurt the kid, and judging by the way he started walking backwards, the kid received the message loud and clear.

When I was in high school, one of the reasons I didn't get out of line too often was the fear that someones hand might end up around my throat! :-)

Zebulin Miller added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

If you could post the entire match that would be something that would help, this is like a TMZ clip. You need to see the entire thing before you can make any judgement or know the entire situation. I saw a ref get punched in the face this summer in Russia and the tourny stopped for like an hour, it was their national championships, this is nothing, no one hurt, ref doing job.

Brad Proudfoot added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

The individual that taped the match said that was the start of the video. He began recording as soon as he could. Here is a link to the thread.

http://www.tecumsehherald.com/node/3324

Lou Demas added to this discussion on January 28, 2010

If the kid could talk and he could, he was not being choked. he was just be moving the kid away from the situation. I don't think this should have even made the news.

Ben Golden added to this discussion on January 29, 2010

Not a choke at all. Yeah, the ref shouldn't have touched him like that but he wasn't hurting the kid whatsoever. When I first read the thread title on thematforums I envisioned the time Rob Reynolds was choking out that Wisconsin QB.

► Add to the Discussion