Rankings

2019 UWW Senior World Championships
2019 Final X
2019 Junior Greco-Roman National Duals
2019 Junior Boys' Freestyle National Duals
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Dual Championships
2019 AAU National Duals (Disney Duals)
2019 Yasar Dogu International Tournament
2019 Junior and 16U National Championships (Fargo)
Division changes for 2019-2020 OHSAA Individual Championships

Forum Home

Forum Search

Register

► Add to the Discussion

Discussion Topic: Live from the Ohio State Wrestle-offs!
Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

http://www.ohiowrestling.net/results/2007-2008/college/osu_intrasquad.html

Add to the discussion and quote this      

Aaron LaBatt added to this discussion on October 25, 2007

Dan,
Why didn't Sponseller wrestle?
And I hope Bergman is ok....

Dan Cosimi added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Just got home... 1 a.m. and I have an 8:30 class this morning.

Re: Sponseller... Colt has an injury to his wrist that will keep him out for four weeks. At that time, he should be healthy and ready to go. There are no plans to move anyone up.

Re: Bergman... To some, it looked bad. To others, it didn't. I don't know much about it other than that. J.D. is a warrior and will get through it, but Morrison is a very good alternative if J.D.'s injury is too much.

- Nikko Triggas, Lance Palmer, and Sean Nemec looked excellent. They handled their opponents with ease. This was no surprise in the cases of Palmer and Nemec but I don't think many expected Triggas to dominate Harrington like he did.

- Nikko had nothing but great things to say about Ohio State. He was thrilled about his first performance in Columbus and he had a loud cheering section which is great. Bo Touris was with him after the match and he said that he is adjusting to his freshman year at Ohio State pretty well.

- Reece Humphrey had a battle with Will "The Thrill" Livingston and looked very solid. Livingston is one tough dude and will be back in line to start at 133 next year.

- Coach Ryan said it may be a weekly decision or a battle that goes on all year for the starting spot at 133. About the difficult choice between Enright and Humphrey, he said, "this is the toughest [situation] I've had in my coaching career." Obviously he and the staff really like both T.J. and Reece and think they both will succeed there.

- When I walked over to talk to J Jaggers, he was signing his autograph on a kid's jacket. The kid had autographs from the whole team and staff on there! Priceless.

- One of the wrestlers walked by J and said, "are you going over to get some pizza?" J replied, "no, I can't eat that junk." He's definitely keeping his weight at 141 the right way.

- Strongman competition champ Alex Picazo looked like his usual powerful self in his match against Tommy Priestley. Picazo was calculated and solid. Priestley never backed down and gave Picazo a very good match.

- 197 was by far the best match of the night. Weakley's blast doubles looked awesome. Diversifying his offense is the next step toward climbing the Big 10 and NCAA ladder. Zack Weinrich gave him everything he could handle, though. Weinrich is tough and it wouldn't surprise me if we saw more of him...

- J.D. Bergman was in good spirits after the match. He looks huge - bigger than some would expect, I think - and it's all muscle. Morrison looks bigger too, and that's a very good sign because both are very athletic, especially for the heavyweight class.

Shawn Allen added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Dan -

Any scoop on why Sponseller didn't participate?

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Two words for Triggas & Nemec, "AS ADVERTISED". Triggas has been one of these wrestlers who wrestled all over the place, even in the Jr. Pan Am games. I can't imagine there is anything this kid hasn't seen on a mat. Nemec is just plain physically imposing. No one will outmuscle this guy. He had the same strategy as Palmer, TD & throw in the legs and start cranking & tilting. (Although Palmer did more cranking than tilting). Saw Sponseller afterwards with the cast on his right wrist, I hope it is nothing too serious. It will be nice to have him back. Reece Humphrey looked really slick out there. It still is a nice situation to be in at 133-141, especially if Enright or Jaggers old injuries flare up; Ryan will have some viable options.

DJ Vondruska added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Sponseller Injury - My sources tell me it's a wrist injury, but assuered me that he'll be back in time for competition.

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

Triggas has competed in a huge number of competitions. My perspective from the "cheap seats" is that last night showed he really knows how to step it up when a match matters.

Jack Muni added to this discussion on October 26, 2007

I heard the comment last night "the wrestling room's one thing, but..." Wasn't the same thing said about Pucillo last year? So-so in the room, but in competition he's brutal.

Cliff Cahill added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

"Starters" injury report had 4 out for wrestle offs and the first dual if not longer: 133, 157, 165, 285

Pucillo was not present and no match at 141.

And still the wresle off in St. John was an enjoyable outing with several shinning performances to note.

let's hope there are few red shirts thus providing a good team strength for entire season.

Don Bork added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

There certainly is alot of talent in the room. I'm wondering who goes at 157. Nemec looked awesome. Not sure if Jason can deal with that power, which was his weakness last year. I think if Nemec wins in the room he's got to be your man, no redshirt. Jason would then be reliable insurance at 157 or, maybe 149, should an injury occur or someone just needs a break. Humphrey also was impressive. It'll be an intresting year between he and Enright. I'm not sure which will end the year as the starter. I believe either one would challenge for AA honors. Also was entertained by the battle at 197. I could see either guy in the lineup from week to week untill one proves out to be the cut above. I think redshirting can be overused and can reduce competitive levels in the room if someone knows their spot is secure because another man is redshirting. Keep the competition high and keep the talent coming in! Go Bucks!

Hank Kornblut added to this discussion on October 27, 2007

Excellent points made by all.

Regarding Nemec--it wouldn't be a shock to see him wrestle at 165 for a few early season events while Sponseller recuperates. Looking forward to the Ohio State v Notre Dame match at Maple Heights, I'd think Ohio State would want to use that meet to showcase their best available wrestlers (and the same for NDC).

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

Nice write up on the buckeyes wrestle off can be found at

http://theozone.net/wrestling/2007-2008/wrestleoff.htm

Warren Edwards added to this discussion on October 30, 2007

And photos here

http://photo.the-ozone.net/default.aspx?SeasonID=6&SportID=12&CollegeID=0&SortType=0&EventTypeID=0&SportEventID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&TeamMemberID=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000&PhotographerID=0&RowCount=12&PageNumber=1

► Add to the Discussion